What investments have you made to lose?

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    In the past year I've spent no money on weight management, unless you count new (smaller) clothes and replacing running shoes every year or two.

About 15 years ago I bought a food scale.

Around 5 years ago I bought some weights and some Beachbody videos I enjoy.

I've bought a couple of books in the last few years that I found worthwhile like Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living/and Performance.

I haven't really spent any extra time on it - I have to cook anyways. ;) I suppose I've done a lot of research into my woe, but that's my free time.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I left food scale off of my previous list, but time is definitely the big one.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Bought a FitBit Surge because it was on clearance and had GPS. I already had the food scale, bike, clothes and Y membership. I just couldn’t outwork my fork.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    For me, it's a gym membership, time spent planning, cooking and logging meals. I also have gone to using organic, fresh, whole foods and it is definitely more expensive, but an excellent investment. I hope to invest in some kick-butt, well-fitting new clothes soon.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Good question.

Before my weight loss journey:
    Food scale I think it cost $15 5 years ago. I just started using it in 2017.
    I had a digital bathroom scale I purchased close to a decade ago, that cost I think $25.
    I bought an AirFryer in 2016 before I started losing weight for $110 which I also use religiously now. I bought a bike in 2016 I think for $126 before I started losing weight. I still don’t use it as much but plan to this summer. A good
    pair of Nike sneakers for walking and running $39.99

After Jan 2017 when I started focusing on weight loss.
    $8 portable digital food scale for my purse.
    $10 portable food scale for work.
    $10 new set of high quality measuring cups because of my old plastic ones broke.
    Fitness bras and leggings on average cost less than $10-12 each. I didn’t want to spend much since I’m still losing.
    The occasional weekend shopping for new clothes as I’m losing weight. I usually shop during sales and clearance and focus more on dresses and tops. Since I’m still losing from my hips where I store the most fat, not investing in good quality pants yet. I bought 5lb and 8lbs dumbbells total $25 and I rarely use. I bought an $8 yoga mat I don’t use but I will eventually.
    I did get a $10 Zumba dance dvd that I don’t use and prefer to walk for my cardio.

Non- monetary investments:
    Patience and lots of it. Patience is your best friend in weight loss.
    Time: I walk about 2k steps before I leave home for work . I walk in the morning at the park close to my job before I start work( additional 3k steps). I spend 15 minutes eating lunch and 45 minutes walking. I do this every work day. I sometimes go walking at the park close to my home after work. Every weekend I walk minimum 12k steps. My fitness watch is set to 12,000 steps daily.
    Honesty: Lying to yourself about how much you are eating, calories in your food, choosing the wrong food entries and not properly measuring food with a scale - all set up for failure. I take the time to Google calories in foods I’m uncertain about and rely on the USDA database.
    Mental commitment and consistency- in it to win it. It will take time and that’s okay since it took a long time to gain all the pounds.
    Realistic expectations: What I do now must be sustainable for years. So I refuse to cut out any food out of my diet and prefer to measure food so that I can enjoy variety of meals and still lose the weight.
    Science: CICO is based on a fundamental principle in Physics. If done right, consistent deficit, it will always work for everyone.

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    For me, the biggest investment is the time. I am a full time teacher, mother, wife. I am also working on my CAS, so I take classes. I had to learn how to manage my time and make it a priority for me time. I am thankful it is also important to my husband so he is extremely helpful!

We also decided to invest in a home gym. Since we do not have a lot of time, and the nearest gym is 20 minutes away, we have been getting a home gym piece by piece. We have a squat rack, treadmill, airdyne bike, dumb bells, and kettle bells. For us this was much more economical both money and time wise.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Gym memberships, workout clothes (including sports bras, not cheap for us busty girls) and shoes, food scale, fitbit, equipment including phone armband, headphones, dumbbells, etc., time spent planning diet and exercise, time and energy spent doing exercise, time spent consuming content about weight loss and interacting with others about weight loss., including these forums, YouTube, FB, etc.
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    [quote="kommodevaran;c-42051800" I'm happy to think about this as investments, not sacrifice, which I used to believe was necessary in order to achieve and maintain a healthy weight - I feel that I'm getting ten times back, at least.[/quote]

Awesome perspective.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Time is probably the biggest one. Like all of us, I have a lot going on in my life. With three kids, a job, a husband and volunteer commitments I neglected myself for many years and it showed. I was over weight and unhappy. I decided to commit time every day to dedicate to myself. I get up and work out every morning. During the week it's my only downtime between school drop offs and work. On weekends it's my only time for quiet. Sacrificing my quiet time to work out was an adjustment at first but now I enjoy it!
    Financially- I pay for a higher priced gym because it's close to home. I could go to a cheaper one but this one is close and not crowded. I also spend money on quality leggings and buy sneakers more than I used to.
    All of it is a small price to pay for losing almost 80 pounds and regaining my confidence!
  • danaoira
    danaoira Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I try to at least invest 1-2 hour's worth of pay each week into my health.

Time
    - Daily: 30 min Pilates mat workout in the morning
    - Daily: 60 min walk for lunch
    - Daily: 45-60 min Pilates reformer session at night
    - Weekly: 1 Pilates apparatus class with an instructor
    - Monthly: 1 chiropractic adjustment
    - Monthly: 1 massage session or hot spring visit

Money
    - Saving up for a $5k Gratz Pilates Reformer (to last me my lifetime)
    - $40/week on classes
    - <$100/month on wellness (chiro/massage/spa)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and have used all the money that I would have spent on cigarettes on health/fitness things instead.

On the food/intake side:
    -$$$$ on therapy for binge eating disorder recovery (it worked). This was absolutely my best investment.

On the fitness/exercise side:
    Oh my...I’m not sure I’m in the black on my smoking $ savings and I quit 3+ years ago and live in a state where cigarettes are $10+/pack.
    -treadmill
    -weightlifting setup (rack, multiple bars, plates, bench, plate storage, etc-most from Rogue)
    -Dumbbells, kettlebells, medicine balls
    -rowing machine (concept2), assault bike
    -stack weight machine
    -heavy bag & freestanding bag
    -about 7,000 pairs of running shoes
    -about double that in workout clothing
    -about triple that in running accessories (hydration/lighting/etc.)
    -I’ve also converted part of my basement to a gym - with recycled tire flooring and TV setup
    -several iterations of Garmin devices (currently a Fenix 5s)
    -other assorted fitness trackers (I think I’m on my 5th fitbit model)
    -unknown number of HRM
    -unknown number of BT headphones
    -mountain bike
    -road bike
    -power meter
    -biking accessories
    -hiking stuff (shoes/poles/packs/etc.)

-I feel it would be an oversight to not mention the $$$ spent on physical therapy for all my ridiculous injuries that I incur-never while doing any of this stuff, but I do the PT so I can get back to doing this stuff.

I’m sure there’s more. I buy stuff as I need and it and all gets used. Knowing that I’m buying it with money I used to spend on cigarettes just makes it all the sweeter.

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Food scale
    Bathroom scale
    Gym membership (the university gym offered a ridiculously good deal for paying up-front at the start of the year; I’m guessing that I’m one of very few who didn’t stop going sometime in October!)
    Gym gear
    Camping towels for gym use
    Shoes with heels that I can actually dance in
    Decent hybrid bike (sadly currently going unused as there’s nowhere good to cycle nearby since I moved house :( )
    Earphones for being chased by zombies while walking
    Bum bag to carry keys and phone while walking/cycling

Assorted other costs:
    Electricity and detergent because the need to constantly wash gym gear and towels is real
    Petrol costs for driving to places that are good to hike
    Suntan lotion for hiking

Anticipated future costs:
    Replacement walking trainers every six months or so
    Replacement hiking boots (mainly because my feet have changed shape since I bought my current ones)
    Replacement hiking socks
    Proper inner socks
    Waterproofs and gear for hiking in in cold weather
    A big rucksack that I can fit a tent in for overnight hikes

...oh dear gods this fitness malarkey is pricey!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Time: Between frequent trips to the grocery store to get fresh veggies and working out daily, I'll say an extra 7 hours a week.

Fitness expenses: YMCA, Orangetheory, subscription to the Studio app, new running shoes every 400 miles, race entry fees, occasional updates to my workout clothes (very expensive SOCKS!!), and one-time investments including my Garmin forerunner and spin shoes.

Weight loss expenses: Food scale wasn't very expensive. I am more likely to spend money on a nice piece of fish or a higher quality turkey jerky, Swerve is more expensive than sugar...I think overall, I do spend more on groceries. However, I'm a cheap date at restaurants now because I will never have more than one drink and usually just get a salad as an entree with some grilled chicken on top.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Time:
    - 10 minutes logging daily
    - 1 hour (at least) more sleep
    - 5 minutes daily on my weight loss spreadsheet
    - 30 minutes (at least) surfing MFP forums, helping me keep motivated (week days)

Weight loss Financial:
    - Cheap food scale (£6)
    - Basic bathroom scales (£20)

Fitness Expenses:
    - Judo license (£40 Annually)
    - Mat fees (£4 per session)
    - Contest/grading fees (£15-£20 per event)
    - Gi (~£120 per gi, however this will last several years)
    - Coaching re-validation events (£15-£20 per event [I require 3 per 3 years])

Other's expenses for me:
    - My partner bought me a fitbit. It's not really my expense, but it was an expense for my fitness.
    - My club paid for my level 1 coaching course (because without it I can't coach sessions)
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Food Scale
    Instant Pot
    Never ending healthy/whole food groceries
    Protein Powder
    Gym membership
    Running shoes
    Cross training shoes
    Boxing gloves
    Boxing wraps
    Home Weight bench
    Home Dumbbells (5/10/15/20/30/40)
    Yoga mat
    Yoga block
    Yoga videos
    MFP annual membership
  • mariekenji26
    mariekenji26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    An elliptical for the family to use
    A good food scale and body scale for tracking progress and measurements.
    weights and stretchy bands
    decent shoes
    fitbit for tracking all my activity and sleep
    numerous water bottles and other random little kitchen gadgets to make life easier.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I've spent over 5 years deprogramming anything that has do with dieting right out of my life. I threw away all of the dieting books, stopped looking and reading anything from food and dieting gurus. I made long-term goals because short-term goals are the recipe for eating it all back...along with brutally strict eating protocols of every ilk, brand, category and class. I made the investment in brain training which will take you further than any diet ever could.