What’s the most you “gained” on vacation?!

Options
On vacation, been weighing myself & I get so anxious seeing the scale go up! Even though I know it’s from alcohol/water retention/sodium eating out! what’s the most the scale has gone up for you & how long did it take to get back to pre vacation weight?!

Also I’ve been working out at the gym & swimming in the ocean/pool! Yay for exercise!

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I’ve never weighed before and after vacay but I typically gain 5-7lbs the week of my period :neutral:
  • ellie7187
    ellie7187 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 pounds on a 12 day vacation last fall. It was almost all water weight though, as 7 of those pounds were gone within 2 days. The rest gone within a week. But ya, seeing the number after vacay was shocking!
  • minekac
    minekac Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First week long cruise, at least ten pounds. I was 162 by the end of it; that was my wake up call to really watch what I eat. I managed to get down to 145 a couple months later. The lowest I've ever been at my height is 130,
  • xxpeople2
    xxpeople2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    I’ve never weighed before and after vacay but I typically gain 5-7lbs the week of my period :neutral:

Did you feel bloated or your clothes fit tightly after a vacation?

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Actual fat gain is under 2#, if that, depending on how long the vacation is. Most of the time, I maintain.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Maybe 5-7lbs? But after I got back my weight kept going up.. and up.. I was growing in size too.. turns out I was pregnant! Haha :p

But otherwise no.. after a vacation my clothes that I left in still fit me. I actually looked and felt even better.

OP you will be fine. Try to relax.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    5lbs after a week all inclusive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never gained actual weight (fat) on vacation. I put on some water weight, particularly when I fly...but it's water and I'm not all freaked the *kitten* out by water...it's gone in a couple days.

I'm way more active on vacation than I would ever be at home considering I'm out and about seeing this and that and doing what there is to do vs sitting behind a desk most of the day during the week.

I think stressing about this is going to cause more issues than just enjoying your vacation.
  • HelenGrace203
    HelenGrace203 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a cruise and I gained 6#s. :/ I lost 2# the first night back, 2#s the second night, and hopefully the remaining 2# will disappear tonight.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    xxpeople2 wrote: »
    On vacation, been weighing myself & I get so anxious seeing the scale go up! Even though I know it’s from alcohol/water retention/sodium eating out! what’s the most the scale has gone up for you & how long did it take to get back to pre vacation weight?!

Also I’ve been working out at the gym & swimming in the ocean/pool! Yay for exercise!

Ten pounds! Took a few weeks to lose it. But, what is life about if you cannot enjoy vacations fully?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in 7 days...here were the factors:

-Air travel: 6 hours of flying each way.
    -Eating out at restaurants: Sodium and carb-heavy foods, alcohol.
    -Increased exercise: Strenuous mountain hikes.
    -Injury: Got flipped out of a raft into whitewater and slammed against rocks. Bruising and swelling.
    -Dehydration: Was probably not drinking enough water for the amount of activity.

When I got back, I drank a ton of water and the extra weight was gone within a week.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I went on a 15-day cruise and gained about 7 lbs.
  • pageohana6
    pageohana6 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    5 days in Vegas ...up 5 pds. Lost 2 within a week, took a month to lose the rest. I almost was in panick mode as I was beginning to lose consistently before vacation. I just owned up, got back on calorie counting.

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Out of your home routine. Don't freak but do be aware and drink alot of water.
    When you get home you will get back on program.
    Sorry...I lost 2lbs on my last cruise.I never took elevator. Walked the promenade deck or the gym every day. Went on excursions. I only had one happy hour drink. At dinner a glass of wine OR dessert. Drank alot of water with lemon.
    It was a decision I made before I walked onto the ship. My husband stayed the same. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pageohana6 wrote: »
    5 days in Vegas ...up 5 pds. Lost 2 within a week, took a month to lose the rest. I almost was in panick mode as I was beginning to lose consistently before vacation. I just owned up, got back on calorie counting.

I was most disappointed that I went to Vegas for a week and only put on 1 pound!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I ran an intense cut last year. Went on vacation. Had 8 plates for breakfast at the buffet, lunch was a greaseball, then splurged at dinner. Easily a 10K day.....my body looked amazing by night. The carbs and sodium filled me out so nice lol. Gained maybe 5 lbs and then lost it all the next week
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I went to Florida for 17 nights last year and put on about 8lb. Most of it came off pretty quick! I had an amazing time and ate some great food, so no regrets :)
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don’t weigh in until about a week after vacation because I balloon up with water weight almost instantly from all the sodium. No use making myself nuts when I know it’s not real. We’re always on the go during vacation and while I eat bigger meals, I also eat fewer of them. I enjoy myself but I don’t have a free for all either. When I do weigh in I’m usually down a couple pounds.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I can gain 5-7 on the scale in a weekend, let alone a week, but it's mostly water weight and increased digestive system contents in transit. Usually longer vacations are rowing camps, where I eat everything in sight (especially breakfast potatoes with ketchup) like a fiend, hydrate well, row for 5 hours or so a day plus some yoga and walking and stuff, and usually end up at home at the same scale weight as when I left.

Here's a case study I wrote up of a sedentary weekend with major eating/drinking.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope

tl;dr: Up 6.4 pounds from a weekend (full calorie & weight details given in post), down below starting weight in less than a week. I've done this quite a few times in the last 3 years, with similar results. And I'm pretty small, and old, besides.

I usually drive, not fly. Flying would make the water retention more extreme, probably.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am going on vacation for two weeks.

I plan on counting and tracking my calories as usual. My one concern is not being able to exactly measure portions. Since I will be on vacation I also figure I can get in lots of exercise to. My plan is to just keep doing what I'm doing and I expect to actually lose at least two pounds while on vacation for two weeks.

If it is our goal to be fit for life then why does a vacation have to be a vacation from eating and exercising the way we should? Or a vacation from our diet?

My vacation is for me to relax and enjoy time with my family away from work. Not an eat fest or a binge.

I should say though I pass no judgment if that's not a vacation for you and you want to consume. After all your vacation is your vacation.