Is it really just about calories??

Hey everyone who is interested in this topic, I'm new here, getting to know you, know how this app works....After nearly 3 days setting my net calorie(big thank you to some of you) I came to the point where I can set up goals for Fat, protein, carb

As I've went though so many different websites, diets, everyone is telling you - cut carbs, cut sugar do this eat this.. waaaaa... so many informations.. so what you think? Should I cut, or just stay calm try to stick what I have to do now.. and later look into it? I feel I'm getting maybe too much into it... or?

Also I maybe should mention that English is not my first language so my post my sounds bit funny.

-add me if you want, my news feed are quite boring, would like to see another journeys.

Good luck, looking forward for success stories

Replies

• Kate_therapist1
    Kate_therapist1 Posts: 75 Member
    The numbers that MFP gives you for carbs, fat and protein are fine.

and what about sugar?
  • Kate_therapist1
    So if I'll stick with calories and eat whole day chocolates, I'm fine too... all this stories about eating veg and fruits are what about??
  • Kate_therapist1
    But I still feel like I haven't changed my eating habbits at all... for 10 days on MFP I feel I'm. eating even more... maybe I trick my body somehow... don't now.. nevermind, thanks a lot
  • mitchkelly2446
    mitchkelly2446 Posts: 38 Member
    Basically, yes. It's about calories (or Joules if you use SI/metric :) ). To lose bodyweight, you must take in less energy than you lose.

You need to establish and maintain adequate intakes of nutrients (protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins minerals etc etc) to keep your body working properly - it's no good being a "healthy" weight and be anaemic, have scurvy or rickets...
  • Kate_therapist1
    seska422 wrote: »
    I eat more volume but fewer calories than I did before.
    So if I'll stick with calories and eat whole day chocolates, I'm fine too... all this stories about eating veg and fruits are what about??
    No one is suggesting to eat 100% of your calories from any one thing. A diet of 100% chocolate wouldn't be nutritionally well-rounded but neither would a diet of 100% broccoli.

Nutrition is important for overall health and is always a consideration whether you are trying to lose weight or not. You want at least enough protein and fat and to get in your micronutrients. Within that framework, what you eat is entirely up to you. I aim for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% from treats.

For weight loss, gain, and maintenance, calories are what matter.

Got it.)) I was just curious about this. Have been on salads and cooked chicken breast for so long tho, so I do really appreciate I don't need feed my body only with veg anymore...)) I'm bit sceptic, but have nothing to loose, just weight..))) Can't remember having macaroni cheese for dinner.. that's what I'm eating right now... lol love it....
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    No one is suggesting to eat 100% of your calories from any one thing. A diet of 100% chocolate wouldn't be nutritionally well-rounded but neither would a diet of 100% broccoli.

Nutrition is important for overall health and is always a consideration whether you are trying to lose weight or not. You want at least enough protein and fat and to get in your micronutrients. Within that framework, what you eat is entirely up to you. I aim for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% from treats.

Got it.)) I was just curious about this. Have been on salads and cooked chicken breast for so long tho, so I do really appreciate I don't need feed my body only with veg anymore...)) I'm bit sceptic, but have nothing to loose, just weight..))) Can't remember having macaroni cheese for dinner.. that's what I'm eating right now... lol love it....
    I've keep my way of eating as close as possible to my old way of eating by reducing the portion sizes for some items with a lot of calories and finding satisfying substitutions for others.

I think of my calorie budget like money. Is it worth "spending" the calories on something and, if so, how many am I willing to spend?

When I have macaroni cheese these days, I have a smaller portion than I used to have. That gets me the taste and enjoyment without spending too many calories on it.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited May 2018
    Think of your calories as a daily budget. First buy the stuff you need to stay healthy and satisfied. The veggies, fruits and lean proteins are generally going to be the most important healthwise. Then the satisfying fats and healthier treats. Finally add in the awesome and unnecessary but oh so good treats based on whatever is left over after the healthier stuff is "paid for".
    Personally I find it easier to think of my original daily number before calories as "healthy food budget" And exercise calories as "sweets and extras" calorie cash.
    And if occasionally you decide to blow the whole wad on a treat instead of the good stuff, at least you won't lose the electricity, lol.
  • Kate_therapist1
    Momepro wrote: »
    Think of your calories as a daily budget. First buy the stuff you need to stay healthy and satisfied. The veggies, fruits and lean proteins are generally going to be the most important healthwise. Then the satisfying fats and healthier treats. Finally add in the awesome and unnecessary but oh so good treats based on whatever is left over after the healthier stuff is "paid for".
    Personally I find it easier to think of my original daily number before calories as "healthy food budget" And exercise calories as "sweets and extras" calorie cash.
    And if occasionally you decide to blow the whole wad on a treat instead of the good stuff, at least you won't lose the electricity, lol.

such a good idea, actually that is what I was thinking at work.. I have this much left so I'm gonna eat now this much so I can have for dinner this much.... I hope u know what I mean... lol...

I've keep my way of eating as close as possible to my old way of eating by reducing the portion sizes for some items with a lot of calories and finding satisfying substitutions for others.

I think of my calorie budget like money. Is it worth "spending" the calories on something and, if so, how many am I willing to spend?

When I have macaroni cheese these days, I have a smaller portion than I used to have. That gets me the taste and enjoyment without spending too many calories on it.

same thing... and of course I had just 250g of it... thanks such a good way to do this
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

You'd still lose weight, but you wouldn't be healthy, because good nutrition is required for health. As someone said before you posted what I quoted, the MFP minimums for protein, fat and carbs are a good starting point. You won't hit them if you eat only chocolate. And yes, you should eat veg and fruit.

This is what I'd recommend as an eating plan, pretty much what I did to lose 50+ pounds in less than a year, but with the mistakes and backtracks left out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Ive been on so many diets through out my life and different diets work for different people.
    For me this is the only one i have managed to stick to.
    And yes it is about just calories!!! Think it goes CICo (calories in calories out)
    I try to eat more veg and fruit and lower fat version of my "normal" foods.
    I find if i happen to eat salads and lots of veg on one particular ;it seems im eating more in voulme that i would of done before.:which i.might be BUT with alot less calories.
    So for me the more fruit and veg i eat the more often i can eat
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You'd still lose weight, but you wouldn't be healthy, because good nutrition is required for health. As someone said before you posted what I quoted, the MFP minimums for protein, fat and carbs are a good starting point. You won't hit them if you eat only chocolate. And yes, you should eat veg and fruit.

This is what I'd recommend as an eating plan, pretty much what I did to lose 50+ pounds in less than a year, but with the mistakes and backtracks left out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

you would also still be hungry!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    MFP = Freedom.

There are whopping boatloads of programs out there that will promise freedom, quick weight loss, a miracle cure, a changed relationship with food, healing for autoimmune, healing for food addiction, healing and advice for everything.

They will leave you caught between completely overreaching and totally underachieving.

Open. Mind. Insert. Possibilities.

You can create your own program with foods you enjoy and do everything on your own terms. Freedom, freedom, freedom. MFP simply works. You can call it 'only calories' but I call this my Positive Food Management Plan. Between New Year's resolutions optimism and I wasn't born yesterday so I-can't-fool-myself-realism, I'm still here.

Somedays, it may be between gung-ho and ho-hum but this joint rocks for freedom...and success. It works.