Upper body strength training...where to start?

Options
2»

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I was reading this thread because it’s something im interested in too as a beginner. And I’ll just add, as an inexperienced and fairly weak person I had the unfortunate experience of getting a pair of 10lb dumbbells and being unable to do anything much with them lol. Sure my backpack might weigh that much but I don’t do reps with it. And it also hurts me :p the amount of times I try to make my bag as light as possible and still end up with bad shoulder pain while I’m out is hilarious.

Luckily I can go to a gym, (using machines - not hand held stuff because I don’t know how to do anything & I’m definitely not “healthy” by the definition above) but it’s still pretty sad to just see them just sitting there :p I paid for them years ago and I really thought that was the right call because I can pick them up. But I really can’t safely use them.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    jepo27 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I've decided to start working on toning/strengthening my upper body, partly to aid weight loss but also to get flabby arms and back fat to reduce. I have a couple of 1.5kg dumbbells and am planning to do sets of reps to each exercise (like bent over rowing/fly) How many sets and reps should I do? I've never done strength training before.

I would suggest you dump the toy weights and get something that's actually going to provide meaningful benefit in improving strength 10-15 kilos is a good starting weight.

dont say that. The amt of weight someone uses is very specific to their level what they are doing. Some people can't even lift their own body weight and just going through the motions with a light weight dumbbell will get them started . I would not put a 10KG weight in the hands of someone just starting out. Odds are as a beginner she wont be able to do much besides deadlift that much . The 1.5kg can get her learning some exercises very safely and it may not seem like a lot to you or me but it may be a lot to her. She can dump the "toy weights" once she gets going but they are great to start, but i would suggest keeping the toy weights anyways, because try and do a set of reverse flys with a 10Kg dbs.

A beginner should not be doing reverse flies.

And a healthy adult female should be able to press and row as well as squat With a 10 kilo bell.

Fooling around with toy weights and accessory lifts is bad advice for a beginner who isn’t otherwise injured

I've been doing weights etc for about 1.5 years now, granted I haven't been pushing because my goal is toning not gaining and I've had an injury in my shoulder the last 4 months thats prevented me liftng "heavy", and I can row about 6kg per hand (up from 3kg when I started). Same with flys. I can press about 8-10kg per hand. my deadlifts are around 12-14kg per hand depending on the day. I would be very surprised if someone starting out can row or fly more than 4-5kg because its not an action that gets done a lot day to day. Dont judge someone else on your expectations. Putting that on someone is a sure fire way to cause them injury, and then to give up because its too hard. Much better to start really light and build up than jump right in to something thats too hard.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Well...I must be a lot weaker than I thought then as some of you find my tiny weights laughable. I have done 3 to 5 sets of 30 reps the past few days and I ache all over my upper body, so I must be doing something right.

yeah you really could bump things up then. Most reps for toning is around 10-12. 30 is really unusual, unless you are lifting light for rotator cuff (per my physiotherapist)

You could probably go to at least 3-4kg and do 3 sets of 10 reps instead. You aren't going to get bulky doing this - most people bulking up will lift a LOT heavier and only do 6-8 reps.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A great read on "toning" for women, with good discussion about "getting bulky" too (make sure to read the whole article, clear through to the end!):

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/toning-workout-for-women/
  • jepo27
    jepo27 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Maybe I explained what I'm wanting to do wrong? I'm not wanting to bulk up, I'm just wanting to tone up and have a bit more muscle definition and a bit less flabby looking arms etc... I'm not after sculpted mega defined upper body muscles.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Maybe I explained what I'm wanting to do wrong? I'm not wanting to bulk up, I'm just wanting to tone up and have a bit more muscle definition and a bit less flabby looking arms etc... I'm not after sculpted mega defined upper body muscles.

Did you read the article I linked?
  • Avidkeo
    Options

You wont bulk up unless you participating in a bulking program, which requires lifting really heavy (over 20kg for bicep curls for example) and few reps - usually only 6-8 maximum, but often even fewer.

Ive been lifting for over 1.5 years, less than or around 10kg for most upper body work, and only doing 2 sets of 8-10 reps and I am just nicely toned. I have definition in my shoulders, and arms, but am not bulky. To get bulky you also need to have proper protein intake as well.

it is not a normal strength training routine to be doing 30 reps - unless is a specific program, like I am doing that at the moment with 1kg weights to strengthen the ligaments and tendons in my rotator cuff after an injury. But its not the sort of program to use to gain strength in general weightloss situations.

Bahaha love the article, read the WHOLE thing (i read half got pissed off, but then read the rest and realised its humour) I lift as heavy as i can manage for around 10 reps, have done so for a year and am not bulky, and yes the "tone" definitly showed as I lost the weight.
  • AnvilHead
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    ...Bahaha love the article, read the WHOLE thing (i read half got pissed off, but then read the rest and realised its humour)...

Exactly why I include the admonition to read the whole article! :D He does a pretty masterful job of trolling in the beginning. I read/follow a lot of his stuff and couldn't believe my eyes as I was reading the beginning of that article, because normally he's right on with his advice. He wrote another similar article with less snark here: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options

It is super hard for women to bulk up. If you are eating in at a caloric deficit you certainly will not bulk up. You may think that you are because strength training can cause you to retain some water at first, but the water retention eventually goes away. I lift fairly heavy on a regular basis and I do not look super jacked. If you want to strength train with weights, I’d suggest finding a progressive program like this one:
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
    You’ll need more weights for this one. If you purchased an adjustable set that goes up to 16K you’d be in business:-) If you do not want to train with weights, the body weight program I mentioned earlier is awesome. Well worth the money.