Options
13»

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I just had a customer tell me last week that if you drink acv after you eat it digests your food so you lose weight,I had to just bite my tongue to avoid an argument

They probably got that from Dr Oz, my mom called me and told me she saw a segment that he did where you take a shot of ACV after eating a doughnut and you won't absorb the calories or sugar from the doughnut. :( sigh some people will believe anything that man says.

Why why why would you ruin the deliciousness of a doughnut with an ACV chaser? That's just wrong on so many levels.

What happens if you have the ACV before the donut?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    vallary14 wrote: »
    It’s good for your immune system, but I don’t think it has any magical weight loss powers.

By what percentage is the human immune system improved by ACV? Being good for the immune system is one of the bogus claims I have heard all my life about various things.

If you're drinking vinegar with the mother, the pre/pro biotics are beneficial, similar to Yoghurt or Kefir or Kombucha, etc

Is this true or woo?

Would you settle for speculative? Stan may have a study/studies, but my sense is that the science concerning gut microbiome is still at a really squishy stage. In my understanding, there are starting to be indications that high diversity of beneficial micro-organisms in our gut microbiome may be beneficial in various ways, and that consuming varied probiotic and prebiotic foods may contribute to that diversity. Raw vinegar (any kind, not just ACV) is probiotic. And, despite the handwringing about tooth enamel on these threads, it isn't harmful in reasonable quantities, consumed in reasonable ways.

Beneficial? Speculative. Personally, I like the stuff (as in think it's tasty). Obviously, from this and other threads, not everyone does.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    DIANE2432 wrote: »
    Hello, I read apple cider vinegar or even wine vinegar help with weight loss, views ?

During my weight loss (50+ pounds in less than a year), I drank a daily shot of ACV for weeks at a time (for reasons unrelated to weight loss), and didn't drink any ACV at all for other weeks at a time. I was logging food/exercise/weight meticulously through both time periods. I saw no difference in weight loss rate when drinking ACV vs. not drinking it. Subjectively, I felt no difference in appetite, satiation, energy level, or any other weight-loss-related thing I've seen claimed for ACV. Zip, zero, nada, nothing . . . but just my n = 1 experience.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Would you settle for speculative? Stan may have a study/studies, but my sense is that the science concerning gut microbiome is still at a really squishy stage. In my understanding, there are starting to be indications that high diversity of beneficial micro-organisms in our gut microbiome may be beneficial in various ways, and that consuming varied probiotic and prebiotic foods may contribute to that diversity. Raw vinegar (any kind, not just ACV) is probiotic. And, despite the handwringing about tooth enamel on these threads, it isn't harmful in reasonable quantities, consumed in reasonable ways.

Beneficial? Speculative. Personally, I like the stuff (as in think it's tasty). Obviously, from this and other threads, not everyone does.

I am not going to argue (especially not with you) the possibility of some benefit. What I dislike is the hypochondria that ensues. I have a cousin on the ACV health benefit train. He assumes if ACV helps his immune system then his immune system must need help because it hasn't been a part of his daily routine for most of his life. One thing does not equal the other. If ACV has a benefit there is no way of knowing you need it. Growing up I was a forced participant in various health benefit fads. I am just glad there was no internet or who knows how much worse it could have gotten.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I am not going to argue (especially not with you) the possibility of some benefit. What I dislike is the hypochondria that ensues. I have a cousin on the ACV health benefit train. He assumes if ACV helps his immune system then his immune system must need help because it hasn't been a part of his daily routine for most of his life. One thing does not equal the other. If ACV has a benefit there is no way of knowing you need it. Growing up I was a forced participant in various health benefit fads. I am just glad there was no internet or who knows how much worse it could have gotten.

I'll go further. You don't need ACV. I don't need ACV, either. There may be a benefit. Strawberries probably benefit your immune system (assuming you're not allergic), in some vague, non-specific way. Doesn't mean anyone needs strawberries. ;) I eat them daily anyway.

P.S. I'm not a hypochondriac. If I think something is tasty, think it might possibly be good for me, can't find any reason why it's bad for me, it doesn't drive anything more useful out of my diet, and humans have been eating it for centuries or millennia with no obvious ill consequences, I'll most likely eat it. ;)

Feel free to argue with me, anyway. It's kinda fun. :drinker:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I'll go further. You don't need ACV. I don't need ACV, either. There may be a benefit. Strawberries probably benefit your immune system (assuming you're not allergic), in some vague, non-specific way. Doesn't mean anyone needs strawberries. ;) I eat them daily anyway.

P.S. I'm not a hypochondriac. If I think something is tasty, think it might possibly be good for me, can't find any reason why it's bad for me, it doesn't drive anything more useful out of my diet, and humans have been eating it for centuries or millennia with no obvious ill consequences, I'll most likely eat it. ;)

Feel free to argue with me, anyway. It's kinda fun. :drinker:

It would take a monumental difference of opinion for me to debate you as I respect you too much.

I wasn't saying you were a hypochondriac btw, my cousin may have tendencies since he worries he needs these health benefits though.

I love eating a big variety and ACV is regularly consumed in salads. I think all foods with nutrients are good for me so I eat what I enjoy. I don't like the "superfood" kiwi so I don't eat it regardless of whatever magic it has.

I also think that if we assume that strawberries or any other food has a benefit we may be talking about a year of daily consumption to even have the slightest positive impact. Another for instance, I assume that if you break an arm or a leg that eating additional protein will help you heal faster but (and I don't know) how much faster? A few hours? A half a day? I kind of doubt that a 6 week healing period would even be dropped to 5. If it is true that more protein helps I would still do it assuming I ever break a bone which for me would be a new experience.

• Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My opinion is not worth a hill of beans. What does the evidence say?

The only data that exists, afaik, is the often cited japanese study where acv was found to have some use, but the study design wasn't great (it's based on diet diaries and step counters). I don't think there's really enough evidence to say either way personally.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661687

Jeff Nippard did a myth-bust monday about this topic a while ago (reviewing the science).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmGVlIaqTZk

^^This.

And now that that's out of the way, you know what ACV is great for? Spritzing on air popped popcorn. Makes the salt stick on it and is a great low cal substitute for salt and vinegar chips.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    It’s good for your immune system, but I don’t think it has any magical weight loss powers.

By what percentage is the human immune system improved by ACV? Being good for the immune system is one of the bogus claims I have heard all my life about various things.

If you're drinking vinegar with the mother, the pre/pro biotics are beneficial, similar to Yoghurt or Kefir or Kombucha, etc

Is this true or woo?

^^^^^Pretty much this.

We KNOW that pre/pro biotics in diet and supplements have a benefit on the gut biome. We don't know what those benefits are YET, for any dietary pre/pro biotic. "Everyone" acknowledges that yoghurt and honey have useful bacteria that have a benefit, quantifiable, not really at least not yet. Kefir, Kombucha, raw vinegar, Kimchi, sauerkraut, etc. also increase the quality and diversity of that biome. I'm not drinking raw vinegar, because I don't like the flavor. I do drink Kombucha and when I eat Yoghurt, I make sure it's live and not dead. It's not a hill I'm going to fight that hard for, because it's not that important. But if someone asks what possible benefits. There you go.

We know from some early stage studies that obesity and satiety are correlated to certain lack of diversity in the Gut biome, I can dig out the study if anyone wants, or you can google for it. Again, early stage correlation. Which is the cause which the effect. We know from rodent studies and limited human studies that fecal transplants can lead to improvements in weight management. Bottom line is that unless you have a reason not to, and flavor/preference is good enough... so is medical risk or cost. Including a variety of pre/pro biotics in your diet when possible is probably a good idea.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    nope
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If it were that easy, no one would be overweight.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    They say "an apple a day keeps the doctor away. Well, I've been eating apples daily for years. Didn't stop me from breaking my wrist and ending up in a cast for 19 weeks! :wink:
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Is this ACV crud still going around ?!
    But.....a quality balsamic and olive oil is sooooo good on a bed of arugula :p
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I dunno... ACV makes a decent coleslaw vinaigrette with some ground cashews and Dijon...
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I dunno... ACV makes a decent coleslaw vinaigrette with some ground cashews and Dijon...

Ooo! I never thought of ground cashews. That sounds good!

ACV for the culinary win. ;)
    dra760 wrote: »
    I have an 8oz glass of water with lemon juice and ACV to help with my body's acidity & improve my heart health every morning.

Apple cider vinegar diet: Does it really work? - from Harvard Health Publishing.
    Short answer: No.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/apple-cider-vinegar-diet-does-it-really-work-2018042513703

11 Reasons To Drink A Tbsp Of Apple Cider Vinegar Daily + More Uses
    hint: weightloss is not one of the reasons

http://www.naturallivingideas.com/drinking-apple-cider-vinegar-benefits/

OMFlippinG. I just read the 2nd link. Actually, despite what you say, weight loss is on their list of so-called ACV benefits (it's #8). We should respect the rest of the list? I don't think so. Yes, there are a couple of things on the list with some modest actual scientific support (blood sugar for some people, help for digestive acid insufficiency for people who have that condition, some limited nutrients (that are also easy to get from other sources)). There's also great heaps of steaming woo with a sauce of alt-health magical arm waving, about candida overgrowth, detoxification of the liver and more.

Naturallivingideas.com is not a scientifically respected or authoritative, let alone peer-reviewed, source.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

Ooo! I never thought of ground cashews. That sounds good!

It's out of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's "Appetite for Reduction".
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The hosts of a medical history podcast called Sawbones have a motto: cure-alls cure nothing. As shown in this thread, ACV is definitely a cure-all.