Spaghetti Squash.

Options
I eat on average about 1200-1250 calories per day for maintenance. I am 5’5 and 118 pounds. I absolutely love spaghetti squash, and I generally go through 1 large squash in 2 days. Is this binging? Will eating this quantity of spaghetti squash make me gain?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I'm about your size, and a bit heavier (130s). I can easily eat 1/2 a good-sized spaghetti squash in a day.

Why would that be binging? It's a food, it's got plenty of good nutrition, and it's low in calories. Why not eat it?

That much spaghetti squash won't make you gain as long as you stay within your maintenance calorie goal. Why would it?

The only worry I can see is if you eat it every single day all the time, it may reduce the variety of other fruits and veggies you can fit in, which might not give you the full range of micronutrients that are healthiest for you. I doubt that it has enough calories to drive a healthy amount of protein or fat out of your way of eating, but you need those two things for good nutrition and health, too.

Out of curiousity, how old or inactive are you? 1200-1250 seems really low for maintenance. I can maintain in the low 120s on many more calories than that, without crazy amounts of exercise, and I'm over 60 years old. Is your weight actually stable over the long term on 1200-1250?
  • SaraBrinksey9
    SaraBrinksey9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm about your size, and a bit heavier (130s). I can easily eat 1/2 a good-sized spaghetti squash in a day.

Why would that be binging? It's a food, it's got plenty of good nutrition, and it's low in calories. Why not eat it?

That much spaghetti squash won't make you gain as long as you stay within your maintenance calorie goal. Why would it?

The only worry I can see is if you eat it every single day all the time, it may reduce the variety of other fruits and veggies you can fit in, which might not give you the full range of micronutrients that are healthiest for you. I doubt that it has enough calories to drive a healthy amount of protein or fat out of your way of eating, but you need those two things for good nutrition and health, too.

Out of curiousity, how old or inactive are you? 1200-1250 seems really low for maintenance. I can maintain in the low 120s on many more calories than that, without crazy amounts of exercise, and I'm over 60 years old. Is your weight actually stable over the long term on 1200-1250?

What can you maintain on? Yes it has been stable on this. I have been eating 1800 with light activity, and have gained 5 lbs from 113 to 118 in 3 weeks
  • AnnPT77
    Options

What can you maintain on? Yes it has been stable on this. I have been eating 1800 with light activity, and have gained 5 lbs from 113 to 118 in 3 weeks

I maintained in a 118-123 pound range for the better part of a year on around 2000 calories plus exercise calories, while quite sedentary in everyday life. (This is unusually high for my size & age, but I don't know why it's true for me). I did some serious over-eating at that point, and have now been hanging out in the low 130s for a couple of years, with some ups and downs. Most days now, I'm eating 1850 plus exercise, which ends up being 2000-2100ish most days, and - when I stick to it - results in a very slow loss, around 1-2 pounds a month.

I see that you have several threads where you're worried about that 5 pounds. On another one of them, I replied to say what I thought was going on, and suggested some strategies you could use moving forward.
  • SaraBrinksey9
    Options

I maintained in a 118-123 pound range for the better part of a year on around 2000 calories plus exercise calories, while quite sedentary in everyday life. (This is unusually high for my size & age, but I don't know why it's true for me). I did some serious over-eating at that point, and have now been hanging out in the low 130s for a couple of years, with some ups and downs. Most days now, I'm eating 1850 plus exercise, which ends up being 2000-2100ish most days, and - when I stick to it - results in a very slow loss, around 1-2 pounds a month.

I see that you have several threads where you're worried about that 5 pounds. On another one of them, I replied to say what I thought was going on, and suggested some strategies you could use moving forward.

I cant find the other thread
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    To see your other threads, use the drop down menu, “My Discussions”.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I cant find the other thread

Here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/42056192#Comment_42056192
  • ellie7187
    ellie7187 Posts: 84 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I agree with Ann; I can eat 1/2 a spaghetti squash in one meal/day no problem. It’s a nice alternate to actual spaghetti for me since I’m still trying lose the last 15 pounds. I also agree that 1200-1250 does seem low maintenance.

FWIT I recently wrongly thought I was eating at 1100-1300 calories a day (most days) and was not losing/was gaining. After opening my diary for review from others and being meticulous with my measuring it became clear that I was consuming more calories than I thought. Not saying that’s what’s happening here, but it’s an idea to check on if eating maintenance levels calories is causing a steady (and lasting) gain.

Side note: I can’t find spaghetti squash in any grocery stores here right now and it’s made me very sad! Lol
  • SaraBrinksey9
    Options

Sorry! I also meant to mention that I’m 19
  • CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    HEY--I thought there'd be spaghetti squash recipes here (browsing by recent discussions, not recipes)!

Related to topic: I also agree with Ann and Ellie. 1. Spaghetti squash every day should not be a concern for weight gain, though it could be for micronutrients due to lack of variety.
    2. 1200-1250 does seem very low for maintenance. It is wholly possible that you are logging inaccurately.
    If you aren't already doing so, I'd suggest purchasing a food scale and using it religiously.
  • MelodyMomof2
    MelodyMomof2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash! To my surprise my family wanted to try mine instead of noodles one night when I made spaghetti and they all liked it better than noodles so now we all eat it that way.