Why Am I Gaining Weight on this Meal Plan? I want to maintain.

Options
Hi. I am 19 and 5'5 and 118 pounds. I would like to maintain this weight. I have crash dieted over the years, and I am trying to find my body's "set point." Before reading this, it is important to note that I am sedentary (desk job during the summer and don't take anytime to exercise). I increased from 1200 calories to 1700 calories within the past three weeks. About 3 weeks ago, I weighed 113. As I increased and ate 1700 on a daily basis, my weight has increased 5 pounds. If I eat less than 1700, I am moody and irritable and tired. Here is what I have been eating:

Breakfast:
1/2 cup egg whites, broccoli, salt, and pepper
EITHER 1 slice ezekiel bread (80 cal) OR bagel thin (110 cal)
1 tbsp light cream cheese (40 cal)
About 2 cups worth of strawberries/raspberries (110 cal)
coffee with fat free cream and Splenda (40)

Snack:
1 1/2 cup of plain roasted spaghetti squash (120 cal)

Lunch:
Tomaro's low carb wrap (60 cal)
4 oz grilled chicken (120 cal)
100 calorie pack of almonds by Blue Diamond.

Snack:
1 Danon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt (80 cal)

Dinner:
Usually about 5-6 ounces of lean meat (grilled chicken, salmon, swordfish, tuna, cod, pork tenderloin, etc).
A lot of vegetables - usually 1 large summer squash and broccoli (130 cal)
About 2 small spoonfuls of sweet potato (60 cal)

Snack:
1 cup Golean cereal (160 cal)
1 cup of Light Vanilla Soy milk (70 cal)

Do you think that I am overeating? Should I restrict? I just don't understand how this is too much.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you increased your calories by 500 over maintenance this would equate to a 3 pound weight gain.

Can be over eating your calorie goals and some of this can be water weight gain from more calories, dietary changes (more carbs/sodium), more food in your system, how hydrated you are, time of the month, etc.

Are you using a food scale? Are you using correct entries from the food database?
  • SaraBrinksey9
    SaraBrinksey9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Have you set MFP up for maintenance? is 1700 what it gave you?

Weight gain when you up your calories is very common, as you're replenishing glycogen stores which will cause additional water weight. With your stats and history I wouldn't drop your calories at all.

How much real weight gain do you think could actually result? Why am i 5 lbs heavier?
  • SaraBrinksey9
    edited May 2018
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Have you set MFP up for maintenance? is 1700 what it gave you?

Weight gain when you up your calories is very common, as you're replenishing glycogen stores which will cause additional water weight. With your stats and history I wouldn't drop your calories at all.

Also my BMR is 1311
  • SaraBrinksey9
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    If you increased your calories by 500 over maintenance this would equate to a 3 pound weight gain.

Can be over eating your calorie goals and some of this can be water weight gain from more calories, dietary changes (more carbs/sodium), more food in your system, how hydrated you are, time of the month, etc.

Are you using a food scale? Are you using correct entries from the food database?

Do you think my maintenance calories are 500 less than what I am eating now? I am well-hydrated.
  • SaraBrinksey9
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    Unless you are extremely small-boned (like some Asian women are), your ideal weight is probably closer to 120-125. A basic formula is 100 lbs for 5 feet, and then 5 lbs per inch (for women; for men, it's 7 lbs per inch) over 5 feet. When I check those weights in a BMI calculator for people of different heights, the formula weight usually ends up right smack in the middle of the normal/health range--equal distance from underweight/overweight. So, perhaps you are gaining precisely b/c your body needs a few extra lbs. If you don't like the way it looks, change that weight from fat to muscle-recompositioning, as it is called here.

The number on the scale is only 1 measure of fitness--and you are wise to notice that eating too few calories affects your mood and energy. Don't let some arbitrary number get in the way of good health. Try to figure out a way to make some time for exercise (google "strength training throughout the day") and focus on over-all health, not just the scale. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

I know but I personally feel uncomfortable at a higher weight. Do you think if I were 120 I would maintain or gain on this meal plan?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Do you think my maintenance calories are 500 less than what I am eating now? I am well-hydrated.

There are many factors in that post that you didn't address. Are you weighing regularly? Did you switch your calorie intake and then notice a change in the weight right away? Close to TOM? Logging accuracy is usually one of the biggest culprits.
  • SaraBrinksey9
    Options
    It says 1800
  • SaraBrinksey9
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Meal plan is irrelevant.
    Calories are what count here.
    If you are gaining then that means you are eating above your maintenance.

But im saying do you think 1700 is above maintenance for someone my stature? BMR is 1311
  • SaraBrinksey9
    Options

I think that your weighing and logging of your calorie intake is your issue. Gaining weight is caused by over eating your maintenance intake. I pointed out 500 over maintenance would be 3 pounds weight gain in 3 weeks, also some water weight gain from eating more, etc.

If want, open your diary, experienced folks can look at your diary and tell you what you need to do from a weighing/logging calorie intake aspect.

do you think 1700 is above maintenance for someone my stature? BMR is 1311
  • RoxieDawn
    edited May 2018
    Options

I think that your weighing and logging of your calorie intake is your issue. Gaining weight is caused by over eating your maintenance intake. I pointed out 500 over maintenance would be 3 pounds weight gain in 3 weeks, also some water weight gain from eating more, etc.

If want, open your diary, experienced folks can look at your diary and tell you what you need to do from a weighing/logging calorie intake aspect.

do you think 1700 is above maintenance for someone my stature? BMR is 1311

I honestly do not know what your maintenance is or should be in your real day to day, but I did run it through this calculator and its around 1575, but this is just an estimate.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

eta: additionally if you ate 125 calories over the number I gave you above, this is still not 5 pounds gain in 3 weeks. So your logging is off (your are eating more than 1700), add in possibly some water retention, etc.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara- If you are gaining at 1700 then it is too much, unless your are not measuring correctly.

All of our bodies are different so the exact number for you will be different.

As long as you know you are measuring and counting your caloric intake correctly I suggest dropping a couple of hundred calories. If you start losing you can increase it 50 calories at a time until you get it right. If you are still gaining go the other way 50 calories.

You will find what works.
  • SaraBrinksey9
    Options
    Do you think less than 1800 is normal for maintenance
  • RoxieDawn
    edited May 2018
    Options

Read through the posts here on this thread about your logging and maintenance.
  • SaraBrinksey9
    Options

Read through the posts here on this thread about your logging and maintenance.

I did and nobody has given me a straight answer