What am I missing?

Options
Msnatalieann
Msnatalieann Posts: 56 Member
edited May 2018 in Motivation and Support
Ok people. I need something. I don't even know what. I'm struggling so much right now. So background: started a little over 6 weeks ago, starting weight 300lbs. Actively level was practically nonexistent (like around 1k steps a day.) Eating LORD KNOWS how many calories. So I cut my calories back to 2000, only drink 1 can of soda a day (for the caffeine, crystal light gives me serious heart burn), started getting around 8-10k steps a day which included one really good, high heart rate treadmill session at least 4 times a week avg about 150 min/week. Eating better foods (not best, but better, lots of portion control.) I feel like the weight should be melting off. But it's not. I lost 11lbs the first 3 weeks and haven't moved the scale much since and as a matter of fact I'm having trouble maintaining that loss. This is killing my motivation. I know I'm probably building muscle and what not but come on. Simple math "move more than you eat" isn't working for me. And I DON'T FREAKING GET IT. 300lbs and 5'3" and I'm struggling this hard? I've read all these stories about how people started with small changes and lost so much weight in the beginning so why aren't I? What am I missing? And yes I've measured and the only place I've lost is my bra/chest line. This is breaking my heart because I'm really trying so hard.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of portion control is vague. Do you weigh your food?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're not building muscle, it's probably water retention.

Do you weigh your food with scales?
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    Lots of portion control is vague. Do you weigh your food?

Yes I do, with a digital scale. I'm saying if I eat a burger, I don't eat fries. I don't binge.
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    It's been a few days since the scale moved? Are you expecting your period?

and... 11 Pounds in 3 weeks is frigging awesome.
    It hasn't moved in weeks. And no it actually didn't come last month (probably because of my new lifestyle) and no I'm not pregnant
  • Msnatalieann
    Options

I do. I guess I just don't understand how somebody my size can drastically change their entire life style with food and exercise and not lose weight or get stuck at 11 lb
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    Most people lose water weight first. Then start the fat shedding. Maybe you aren’t eating enough calories? Also watch the sugar and sodium intakes. Remember your body isn’t like anyone else’s. Different metabolism rates. Make sure you get plenty of water in too.

I have wondered about the calories thing before because according to Fitbit it says I'm not eating enough calories for how many calories I burn each day but I don't understand how I'll ever lose weight eating more than 2000 calories.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    You realise that 11 lbs in 6 weeks is still a great rate of loss?

Weight loss isn’t linear. Water retention can mask fat loss, and water retention can be caused by almost anything; stress, travel, illness, time of the month, a new exercise regime...

If your logging is accurate, the loss will come.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I do. I guess I just don't understand how somebody my size can drastically change their entire life style with food and exercise and not lose weight or get stuck at 11 lb

3 weeks of no weight loss isn't long enough to say it isn't working.

Is your period normally regular?
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

Weight loss isn’t linear. Water retention can mask fat loss, and water retention can be caused by almost anything; stress, travel, illness, time of the month, a new exercise regime...

Thanks. I guess I'm just struggling stay motivated.
  • Msnatalieann
    Options

It was prior to this. But it usually gets all weird if I have any big life changes.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It was prior to this. But it usually gets all weird if I have any big life changes.

So it could be due any time, so you're probably retaining water...
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

Thanks. I guess I'm just struggling stay motivated.
    Don't center your gauge of success around what the scale says. A scale will show weight loss in the long term if you keep a calorie deficit over the long term. Look for your overall trend rather than day-to-day or week-to-week weight.

I center my goals around things that are under my control, such as sticking to my planned calorie intake for the week.
  • Msnatalieann
    Options

Well I sure hope it's like 8lbs of water retention
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Entirely possible. Weight loss isn't linear, if your consistent with your calorie deficit you just need to be more patient
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

When I started at 215 pounds...Yes, I had up to 10 pounds of water retention and it will likely be very heavy. Now that I am at 170 and walking daily, I have 3-5 pounds retention. It sucks, but that is the joys of being a woman :(
    Stick with it, because next week, you will see your weight most likely fly off
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    started a little over 6 weeks ago, starting weight 300lbs.

I feel like the weight should be melting off. But it's not. I lost 11lbs the first 3 weeks and haven't moved the scale much since and as a matter of fact I'm having trouble maintaining that loss. This is killing my motivation. I know I'm probably building muscle and what not but come on. Simple math "move more than you eat" isn't working for me. And I DON'T FREAKING GET IT. 300lbs and 5'3" and I'm struggling this hard? I've read all these stories about how people started with small changes and lost so much weight in the beginning so why aren't I? What am I missing? And yes I've measured and the only place I've lost is my bra/chest line. This is breaking my heart because I'm really trying so hard.
    Struggling is a problem.

You need to experiment to find a comfortable way of eating (and moving) that leaves you at a calorie deficit that you are willing to follow over the long term and then hunker down for the long haul.

My overall rate of loss was much slower than I theoretically could have had. Ultimately, rate of loss if far less important than sticking to the deficit long term so that you actually reach your goal and can, hopefully, keep using the way of eating you've built in order to maintain that weight. Fast loss does no good if you can't stick to the plan.
  • jackiedruga
    jackiedruga Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What you are feeling is ENTIRELY normal, I myself wrote a similar post two months into my journey. I was frustrated because I was inspired by a friends MFP journey and she seemed to have the weight melt from her. When I posted my similar post I, too was told I was eating too little, or was I weighing my food.... I wanted to quit, but, I got encouragement here and i kept going and sure enough, that four month mark for me, I started really losing and then it all started coming off. I lost my targeted 40 lbs. My point is, it is still early. Do not give up and know that your feelings are validated. 6 weeks isn't that long, and I promise you, stay the course, and that weight will come off. A year from now, you'll be posting success pictures.