What am I missing?

Options
2»

Replies

• Msnatalieann
    Msnatalieann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What you are feeling is ENTIRELY normal, I myself wrote a similar post two months into my journey. I was frustrated because I was inspired by a friends MFP journey and she seemed to have the weight melt from her. When I posted my similar post I, too was told I was eating too little, or was I weighing my food.... I wanted to quit, but, I got encouragement here and i kept going and sure enough, that four month mark for me, I started really losing and then it all started coming off. I lost my targeted 40 lbs. My point is, it is still early. Do not give up and know that your feelings are validated. 6 weeks isn't that long, and I promise you, stay the course, and that weight will come off. A year from now, you'll be posting success pictures.

Thank you! I really appreciate your reply. I don't want to give up. I really don't. I'm just struggling so bad right now. Not to stay the course so much, more like struggling not to get really really really depressed.
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    started a little over 6 weeks ago, starting weight 300lbs.

I feel like the weight should be melting off. But it's not. I lost 11lbs the first 3 weeks and haven't moved the scale much since and as a matter of fact I'm having trouble maintaining that loss. This is killing my motivation. I know I'm probably building muscle and what not but come on. Simple math "move more than you eat" isn't working for me. And I DON'T FREAKING GET IT. 300lbs and 5'3" and I'm struggling this hard? I've read all these stories about how people started with small changes and lost so much weight in the beginning so why aren't I? What am I missing? And yes I've measured and the only place I've lost is my bra/chest line. This is breaking my heart because I'm really trying so hard.
    Struggling is a problem.

You need to experiment to find a comfortable way of eating (and moving) that leaves you at a calorie deficit that you are willing to follow over the long term and then hunker down for the long haul.

My overall rate of loss was much slower than I theoretically could have had. Ultimately, rate of loss if far less important than sticking to the deficit long term so that you actually reach your goal and can, hopefully, keep using the way of eating you've built in order to maintain that weight. Fast loss does no good if you can't stick to the plan.

I completely agree. I know the overall matters most. I'm definitely struggling with eating because I struggle with foods. Like I can't eat meat leftover. I can't prepare meat (it seriously gags me). I struggled trying to be vegetarian because I can't eat soy products (like seriously bad stomach issues). So basically I struggle to get enough protein. I try and eat Smart Ones and Lean Cuisines, but let's face it, those are only "healthy" because it's an impossibly small portion. Other than that, it's a lot of wild rice and beans with veggies or take out salads. I've never struggled with food like this before. Normally it's just cravings but this time, I'm struggling just to make myself eat.
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    You're not building muscle, it's probably water retention.

Do you weigh your food with scales?

I do. I guess I just don't understand how somebody my size can drastically change their entire life style with food and exercise and not lose weight or get stuck at 11 lb

3 weeks of no weight loss isn't long enough to say it isn't working.

Is your period normally regular?

It was prior to this. But it usually gets all weird if I have any big life changes.

So it could be due any time, so you're probably retaining water...

Well I sure hope it's like 8lbs of water retention

Entirely possible. Weight loss isn't linear, if your consistent with your calorie deficit you just need to be more patient

I'm not giving up. I'm just trying to find out if I'm doing something wrong. I'm pretty determined for the first time in my life to stick it out. It's just a lot easier to do what I gotta go when I'm losing and feeling motivated. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post.
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    Well I sure hope it's like 8lbs of water retention

When I started at 215 pounds...Yes, I had up to 10 pounds of water retention and it will likely be very heavy. Now that I am at 170 and walking daily, I have 3-5 pounds retention. It sucks, but that is the joys of being a woman :(
    Stick with it, because next week, you will see your weight most likely fly off

Fingers crossed. I could definitely use that pick me up.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    started a little over 6 weeks ago, starting weight 300lbs.

I feel like the weight should be melting off. But it's not. I lost 11lbs the first 3 weeks and haven't moved the scale much since and as a matter of fact I'm having trouble maintaining that loss. This is killing my motivation. I know I'm probably building muscle and what not but come on. Simple math "move more than you eat" isn't working for me. And I DON'T FREAKING GET IT. 300lbs and 5'3" and I'm struggling this hard? I've read all these stories about how people started with small changes and lost so much weight in the beginning so why aren't I? What am I missing? And yes I've measured and the only place I've lost is my bra/chest line. This is breaking my heart because I'm really trying so hard.
    Struggling is a problem.

You need to experiment to find a comfortable way of eating (and moving) that leaves you at a calorie deficit that you are willing to follow over the long term and then hunker down for the long haul.

My overall rate of loss was much slower than I theoretically could have had. Ultimately, rate of loss if far less important than sticking to the deficit long term so that you actually reach your goal and can, hopefully, keep using the way of eating you've built in order to maintain that weight. Fast loss does no good if you can't stick to the plan.

I completely agree. I know the overall matters most. I'm definitely struggling with eating because I struggle with foods. Like I can't eat meat leftover. I can't prepare meat (it seriously gags me). I struggled trying to be vegetarian because I can't eat soy products (like seriously bad stomach issues). So basically I struggle to get enough protein. I try and eat Smart Ones and Lean Cuisines, but let's face it, those are only "healthy" because it's an impossibly small portion. Other than that, it's a lot of wild rice and beans with veggies or take out salads. I've never struggled with food like this before. Normally it's just cravings but this time, I'm struggling just to make myself eat.
    I base many of my meals around Lean Cuisines with added veggies. I use steam-in-bag veggies with no sauce and either mix them into the meal in a big bowl or eat them out of the bag while eating the Lean Cuisine out of the container.

I would suggest that you log the way you actually like to eat for a week or two and work from there to find where you can eat smaller portions and/or make satisfying substitutions. My modified way of eating looks a whole lot like my old way of eating, just with fewer calories and more nutrition. I aim for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% from treats.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I started at 288 lbs and am 5'4" so close to you.

I know EXACTLY how you feel.

You are being so good and every day feels like a frickin year :o

What is your daily calorie goal and do you eat your exercise calories back?

I started at 1350 calories and did not start eating any of my exercise calories back till I actually started exercising..... I didn't count my steps. I still only eat about half because a lot of the calorie totals for exercises are way over inflated.

All I can say is please, please, please do not let this discourage you.

TRUST THE PROCESS, it really does work.
  • Msnatalieann
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I started at 288 lbs and am 5'4" so close to you.

I know EXACTLY how you feel.

You are being so good and every day feels like a frickin year :o

What is your daily calorie goal and do you eat your exercise calories back?

I started at 1350 calories and did not start eating any of my exercise calories back till I actually started exercising..... I didn't count my steps. I still only eat about half because a lot of the calorie totals for exercises are way over inflated.

All I can say is please, please, please do not let this discourage you.

TRUST THE PROCESS, it really does work.

My suggestion was to eat 2000 calories. I do not eat my exercise calories back.