A MESSAGE FOR ANYONE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT ESPECIALLY THE NEWBIES!!!

Options
MFP usually says to eat 1200 calories a day but in my opinion, unless youre already 120 pounds that is WAY TOO LOW. I started around 187lb eating 1200 cals a day and working out vigorously, my body clung to the weight and it resulted in me only losing 7 pounds in 4 months. I was exhausted, malnourished and discouraged, all that hard work for barely a budge.

Now, years later and much wiser Ive listened to my body, I eat 1500 BARE MINIMUM and usually 1600-1800 sometimes more sometimes less and I'm losing average 6lb a month. I only walk for 30 mins 5 times a week as exercise and I eat pretty much what I want within reason but try to stick to the healthy choices.

IF YOURE DOING EVERYTHING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND ITS NOT WORKING, OR YOU FEEL EXHAUSTED AND STARVING AND LOSING WEIGHT AT A SNAILS PACE, I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU EAT MORE!!!

Eating more, making healthy choices and not really restricting one specific thing has been working wonders for me. Not looking or asking for advice, just want to help new people who think they have to starve themselves or even aim for 1200 calories a day. Its not good for ANYONE to eat that little and its not realistically sustainable!!

GOOD DAY!!

Replies

• Lola_Mercury
    Lola_Mercury Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't usually give a 1,200 calorie goal. If you're getting that as your goal, it's often because you have deliberately chosen an aggressive weight loss goal (say, 2 pounds per week) without having a large amount of weight to lose.

Choose reasonable goal for pounds per week to lose, you'll get a reasonable number of calories to eat.

This. MFP bases the calorie goal on what the *person* inputs. If you tell it you want to lose 2 pounds a week, you're going to get a 1200 goal if it's an unrealistic expectation. And for most people, that *is* an unrealistic expectation.

Unless you're short and petite, that 1200 goal is *entirely* on the user.

I agree it is entirely on the user. I just see a lot of pressure on people to stick within 1200 calorie range and shame for going over it, and I want people to know it is good to go over.

I get where you are coming from. I used to think women should stick to 1200 calories to lose weight. I’d try it, get unbearable hunger, and binge. Now I’m losing happily on 1600-1900. I get lots of activity now that I have the energy for it.

I do think that lots of people think that 1200 calories is what they should do. Most of the time it isn’t, though.

THANK YOU! This made it all worth it!!
  • Lola_Mercury
    Lola_Mercury Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    MFP usually says to eat 1200 calories a day but in my opinion, unless youre already 120 pounds that is WAY TOO LOW. I started around 187lb eating 1200 cals a day and working out vigorously, my body clung to the weight and it resulted in me only losing 7 pounds in 4 months. I was exhausted, malnourished and discouraged, all that hard work for barely a budge.

Now, years later and much wiser Ive listened to my body, I eat 1500 BARE MINIMUM and usually 1600-1800 sometimes more sometimes less and I'm losing average 6lb a month. I only walk for 30 mins 5 times a week as exercise and I eat pretty much what I want within reason but try to stick to the healthy choices.

IF YOURE DOING EVERYTHING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND ITS NOT WORKING, OR YOU FEEL EXHAUSTED AND STARVING AND LOSING WEIGHT AT A SNAILS PACE, I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU EAT MORE!!!

Eating more, making healthy choices and not really restricting one specific thing has been working wonders for me. Not looking or asking for advice, just want to help new people who think they have to starve themselves or even aim for 1200 calories a day. Its not good for ANYONE to eat that little and its not realistically sustainable!!

GOOD DAY!!

thank you. wow Im so discouraged this made me feel so much better. thank you./

YOURE WELCOME AND YOUR RESPONSE MAKES ME FEEL SOOO HAPPY!! Youre doing great!