A MESSAGE FOR ANYONE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT ESPECIALLY THE NEWBIES!!!

Replies

• Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    edited May 2018

I see it a lot on here actually. When people say theyre not losing on 1200 calories, others respond "You HAVE to lose on 1200 you MUST be doing something WRONG youre probably EATING MORE than you think and that's why youre not losing weight. Get a food scale and track every single morsel you put in your mouth"

I've seen it several times

I’m confused... are you arguing that this is untrue...?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    MFP doesn't usually give a 1,200 calorie goal. If you're getting that as your goal, it's often because you have deliberately chosen an aggressive weight loss goal (say, 2 pounds per week) without having a large amount of weight to lose.

Choose reasonable goal for pounds per week to lose, you'll get a reasonable number of calories to eat.

Is that true? I am 5'5" 175 lbs with a 1 lb/ week goal, lightly active and i have a 1270 goal. I usually get a couple hundred extra for steps, but if i don't move it docks calories ( no lower than 1200).

I worry I am going to get over hungry and binge, but so far i can stay close to the target without getting very hungry. My logging is not perfect but i am losing 11/2-2 calories/week.

I Don't understand the OP, that you lose when you eat more calories. I just think you can be reasonable and still get 1200 calories as a goal

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    mkculs wrote: »
    lorib642 wrote: »

Is that true? I am 5'5" 175 lbs with a 1 lb/ week goal, lightly active and i have a 1270 goal. I usually get a couple hundred extra for steps, but if i don't move it docks calories ( no lower than 1200).

I worry I am going to get over hungry and binge, but so far i can stay close to the target without getting very hungry. My logging is not perfect but i am losing 11/2-2 calories/week.

I Don't understand the OP, that you lose when you eat more calories. I just think you can be reasonable and still get 1200 calories as a goal

Hi, Lori! Something is "off" if you put in for a 1 lb loss and are losing 1.5-2 lbs a week (I think that is what you mean). If it is working for you, that's great--if you aren't too hungry and have enough energy. Otherwise, it looks like you could increase your base calories and lose 1 lb week. Maybe you are more active than you think, or than MFP thinks :) In any case, you are clearly creating a deficit of more than 3500 cal/week at your rate of loss. Good job and good luck!

Thank you. I do have days when i go under, but i was thinking i was forgetting to log something or underestimating. I feel fine.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Closer in the sense that your calorie needs decrease as you get smaller. But I'm currently eating more like 1600-1700 to drop the last 20 lbs or so. (1400 as sedentary, but long walks and strength training give me more calories.)