What’s the most you “gained” on vacation?!

Options
2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I go on 3 weeklong vacations every year and I always try to keep up exercise (usually easy with hiking being a primary vacation activity for me), stay hydrated & don't go too nuts with indulgent foods.

For me it's so tied in with my cycle though. Sorry if that is TMI. EVERY time I go on vacation at a certain point in my cycle I come home up by 8 or 9 lb. It falls off quickly since it's mostly sodium/water retention. But if I go on vacation at a different point in my cycle, I'm always pleased because I am within about 2 lb of whatever I was before the trip. It's been like this for 4 years now.

ETA: Business trips are a way different story for me. When I travel for work, it's usually just 2-3 days away from home and I ALWAYS "lose" when I do that. My husband cooks at home and we eat pretty big meals. Even though I watch my calories like a hawk, I find that when I'm on a business trip I eat less often and less food in general. I usually come home a few pounds lighter every time but it comes back with the next weekend and my husband's cooking and a couple beers.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    About 8 lbs. Any vacation weight always comes off me within a week or two.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    erjones11 wrote: »
    I am going on vacation for two weeks.

I plan on counting and tracking my calories as usual. My one concern is not being able to exactly measure portions. Since I will be on vacation I also figure I can get in lots of exercise to. My plan is to just keep doing what I'm doing and I expect to actually lose at least two pounds while on vacation for two weeks.

If it is our goal to be fit for life then why does a vacation have to be a vacation from eating and exercising the way we should? Or a vacation from our diet?

My vacation is for me to relax and enjoy time with my family away from work. Not an eat fest or a binge.

I should say though I pass no judgment if that's not a vacation for you and you want to consume. After all your vacation is your vacation.

I think it is important to know yourself and if you are content continuing your deficit into your vacation there is nothing wrong with that. I am sure many others feel the way you do.

I think if I tried that I would feel deprived and come back resentful which will hurt me more than putting the calorie counter away. I am not saying that as soon as I land I am tying on a feed bag because I have never liked eating really heavy on vacation but I will not be worrying about losing weight either. Honestly if I mostly maintain or even head slightly into the gain column I consider that a win. I believe that this is the same way I will behave after I reach my goal so this is my normal lifestyle.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Last year, a 4 day weekend in Paris, I actually lost 2 lbs. I ate 2 or 3 meals a day and everything was very rich/calorie dense. However, the portions were reasonable and we walked loads.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I leave for vacation in a week. I am so excited. A little nervous. I am 2 pounds shy of my goal weight but I am okay with that. I am hoping no more than 5 pounds. I know I can get that off when I get back.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I came back from a cruise recently, gained around 7-8 lbs in one week, I managed to easily drop 3-4 lbs since then since it was mostly waterweight.
  • nodley
    nodley Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I always go all-inclusive and usually gain around a stone, most of it from the unlimited beer :lol:

Now I'm pushing 40 it's hard to lose it all again, it's not like when I was young and it just fell off once I got back to normal. I can actually put on 7lbs over a weekend if I eat and drink and have fun.

I've put on 6 pound just by having this week off work and not burning calories all day.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I got home last night from 4 days in Vegas and I’m up 7lb.

When I went to Europe for two weeks last Summer I was up 9lb when I got home. Last Summer it took just under 2weeks for the vacation bloat to go away. I had actually gained 1 1/2lb that didn’t fall off and I had to re-lose that through diet and exercise. I typically give myself 2 full weeks to determine if it’s just water retention or if I actually gained at all.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I got home last night from 4 days in Vegas and I’m up 7lb.

When I went to Europe for two weeks last Summer I was up 9lb when I got home. Last Summer it took just under 2weeks for the vacation bloat to go away. I had actually gained 1 1/2lb that didn’t fall off and I had to re-lose that through diet and exercise. I typically give myself 2 full weeks to determine if it’s just water retention or if I actually gained at all.

Waiting to see is a good idea! Thank you

• Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just back from a 10 day trip to Greece, with a lot of walking / clambering up and down steps of old things. Tracked food as best as I could, used a Fitbit for activity monitoring. Almost bang on maintenance for the first 7 days, actually running a deficit for the last 3. Up 9 pounds. Hooray for water weight / sodium weight / muscle repair weight / glycogen stores! Pretty sure it will all come off in the next few days.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    In to say I haven't had a vacation in years but the one time I went to visit family for a few days I gained 3 lbs so its a indicator that i would probably be horrible on a true vacation lol.
  • Thisyearismyyear
    Thisyearismyyear Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I seem to always gain about 7 lbs. The last few trips, i have watched what i eat more closely and was able to keep it between 2-4 lbs.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    9lbs if I remember correctly. After two weeks in Texas. Came off really quickly so I guess it was mostly water and waste.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just back from a 10 day trip to Greece, with a lot of walking / clambering up and down steps of old things. Tracked food as best as I could, used a Fitbit for activity monitoring. Almost bang on maintenance for the first 7 days, actually running a deficit for the last 3. Up 9 pounds. Hooray for water weight / sodium weight / muscle repair weight / glycogen stores! Pretty sure it will all come off in the next few days.

Down 3 pounds as of yesterday :D