Weighed myself this morning, I'm officially obese according to BMI

Options
catinamess
catinamess Posts: 68 Member
I've been in denial about my weight gain, but can no longer pretend I'm ok. I'm hoping this is my lightbulb moment and that I'm going to take my weight seriously. I'm still in shock to see the numbers on the scale.

I would like some accountability partners please. Maybe that's what would help me stick to logging my food. I've been on and off (mostly off) MFP for years now, so I can see how my weight has slowly but very surely gone up in the last few years.
I have to change, and sooner than later.

Replies

• witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I, too, am obese and not at all happy about it, but we’ve got this!
  • catinamess
    Options
    Thanks! I'm really hoping this is the wake up call I need!
  • catinamess
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to see if I can find that documentary. I can see how easy it is to put on the weight, so getting it off again shouldn't be rocket science. I guess I always tried to do it too quickly and was setting myself to fail. Maybe I should try a smaller goal first to get used to logging food, instead of realising I'm always going over the 1200 calories I was aiming for.
  • dnobles35
    dnobles35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with going over the 1200. I think I'm going to start putting the food before I eat. Also as you become more consistent you will prob eat similar meals that you know will be within your calorie range for the day.
  • RebeccaRNBSN
    RebeccaRNBSN Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    :( wake up call needed now.
  • catinamess
    Options
    dnobles35 wrote: »
    I have the same problem with going over the 1200. I think I'm going to start putting the food before I eat. Also as you become more consistent you will prob eat similar meals that you know will be within your calorie range for the day.

Yes, I think prelogging will help. I really need to start meal planning properly and most importantly stop snacking. This last year or so I've been eating all day long and that needs to stop!
  • sodaceratops
    sodaceratops Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. I would love an accountability partner.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    dnobles35 wrote: »

Going over 1200 is not a problem. The figure for each person is set by the MFP Diary based on the personal information you input at the beginning. My figure is 1980 calories per day.
  • deagh93
    deagh93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    catinamess wrote: »

Thanks! Yes, I'm upping my calories to around 1500 as it's still a substantial deficit compared to what I've been eating recently. And I need to cut down on sugary snacks and alcohol.

Good! The hurdle I ran into (which made me quit and gain a lot back) is trying to cut back too much. It's not sustainable. I'd rather be able to sustain a small deficit and end up losing even a quarter pound a week than going gung ho for a month and then quitting. Rather than doing all the things at once, at least for me, it's more sustainable to work on a few things at a time, adding them in gradually so I don't get overwhelmed. I've been fat my whole life, so changing everything all at once isn't really realistic. It might be the same for you. Welcome to MyFP!
  • jasmineemmaeats
    jasmineemmaeats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I felt the same when I realised my BMI was overweight - I'd been talking myself out of weighing myself and managed to convince myself there was no problem and then it was a bit of a nasty shock.

My diary's open to friends to add me if you'd like some extra support and to see what I eat! I'm on 1500 calories a day so it's a bit more manageable than 1200, and I try to work out most days.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I remember that all too well. Don't worry, you can change that.

1. If you find yourself constantly gaining weight, start my learning to eat just at or a bit under maintenance for a while. Stopping the gain is a success.
    2. Once you've got the maintenance down, then slowly adjust your goal to 1/2 lb per week. Decrease calories in or increase exercise (a little of both is preferable). Small tweeks in food and an extra 15 minutes a day walking is all you need. No big changes, just a few small ones.
    3. Once you're comfortable at 1/2 lb a week habits. Go to 1lb per week. Repeat that until you find yourself hungry all the time and/or miserable, then go back up to where you were comfortable.

It's a long process, but by going slow and making small changes it will be a permanent change in the long run.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    catinamess wrote: »
    I've been in denial about my weight gain, but can no longer pretend I'm ok. I'm hoping this is my lightbulb moment and that I'm going to take my weight seriously. I'm still in shock to see the numbers on the scale.

I would like some accountability partners please. Maybe that's what would help me stick to logging my food. I've been on and off (mostly off) MFP for years now, so I can see how my weight has slowly but very surely gone up in the last few years.
    I have to change, and sooner than later.

I am really close to obese, too! Well, according to BMI. However, if we met at the gym, there is no way on God's green planet that you would think that. I am *NOT* a fan of BMI, but lots and lots and lots of things use BMI. So, maybe this "wakeup call" is doing you some good? Sounds like it is.

If I might suggest, baby steps!
  • vaskaxtumir
    vaskaxtumir Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You could start pre-logging your daily food and calorie intake (and sticking to it) based on your basal/resting metabolism. Since I'm also obese, mine is at about 1500 calories a day. After about 1-2 weeks of that, you could reduce your calorie intake by 100 cal a day, say, and do the same after another 1-2 weeks until you get to 1200 calories a day -- by which time you will have lost a few pounds and 1200 cal/day should feel comfortable enough not to provoke backsliding. :-)

• catinamess
    Options
    Thanks all. A month gone, and although I've drastically cut alcohol intake, my snacking is still completely out of hand.
    I do like the idea of sticking to maintenance first then cutting back from there. It should feel a lot more manageable.
  • catinamess
    Options

I am really close to obese, too! Well, according to BMI. However, if we met at the gym, there is no way on God's green planet that you would think that. I am *NOT* a fan of BMI, but lots and lots and lots of things use BMI. So, maybe this "wakeup call" is doing you some good? Sounds like it is.

If I might suggest, baby steps!

As I don't exercise at the moment, I think the bmi is probably rather accurate for me. I understand it gets skewed if you exercise a lot, but unfortunately that's not the situation I'm in at the moment.

• Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My Recipe: Lots of short term goals that accomplish the mid-range and long term goals.

I started at a BMI of obese and now in the overweight approaching the average range for my situation. For me and my body shape/life style, mid-BMI is my goal. I needed LOTS of MINI-Successes to stay motivated and here was my recipe for success...which I think can apply to most average people in various situations.

1. Maintenance calorie goal: Started my journey, one step at a time...like others have mentioned, I did start at the calculated "maintenance" calories of MFP, which was a cutback of intake for me. It took at least a month to settle into that. It was my only focus, not lower, not exercise, nothing else.

2. Medical Concerns: like most people, I have my own unique make-up which is not perfect and plays a role in what works for me. During this early phase, I visited my doctor, made sure I solidly understood my body. Give me the facts and numbers...from everything related to my issues needing treatment to the details of my CBC. Where do I fall in the "averages" of these numbers? Knowledge is power AND It adds another layer of success tracking, outside of the scale.

3. Pre-Logging: I learned quickly that making that goal required PRE-LOGGING. Every time I missed that calorie goal, I did not pre-log. I now have memorized many calorie/carb/fat/protein contents and can handle a spur of the moment meal out with friends successfully but that memorization took time and effort.

3. Reducing Calorie Intake: Once I was successfully keeping my goal (took 4-5 weeks) I reduced my calorie intake (all the time-pre-logging) by 100 calories every two weeks or so, until I got to 1200. (I was not exercising). I discovered, for me, carbs triggered cravings and made it more difficult to meet my goals. I track them, set a goal and now successfully manage that trigger. I found online recipes for lower carb deserts that satisfy with out sending my desires for sweets in the wrong direction. For me...maybe not everyone/anyone else, bread even heightened by triggers. I eat very little of it now.

4. At 1200 calories: After success at managing 1200 calories, I had dropped a few pounds, though it felt painfully slow. The pounds just don't come off as fast/easily as they go on. At this calorie intake, I spent time figuring out the foods that give me the most satisfaction. What makes me feel fullest, what to fit in when I cam craving sweets, what I can manage to cook and fit into my life style (which includes a family and work travel). What is easy to take with me when I travel to help keep me on track. What items in my plan mean the most to me and how can I get them.

5. Six month success check up: At six months, revisited the doctor, got new stats. Getting the MD's affirmation of the improvement was a motivator too. Was not just about the numbers. Don't depend on your MD, this is your struggle, they are not your diet police, but use them one of the tools in your arsenal. Doctor visits can be costly, not all insurances cover testing more than once a year but if your obsess, your doctors office can code/bill this out in a way insurance will cover it. Work with them, suggest they submit it as part of the "weight loss monitoring" program.

6. Adding exercise: Once 1200 was comfortable, I started adding exercise. Yep, I was way out of shape, so like the reduction in food, started slow here too, phasing it in. Iphones track steps, good simple tool to get your started and can be interfaced with MFP. After establishing my current baseline, I set weekly walking goals, increasing that number every week or so, until I hit, for me, something reasonable for my life style and obligations. This is a great first "step" toward exercise fitness. It is another layer of tractable success that is not food focused.

7. Eating exercise calories: This is subjective and personal. Some do-some don't. For me, at this point, I was just increasing activity-not really exercising so I didn't "eat" back what MFP logged. I kept my 1200 calorie goal. Remember, MFP is not perfect, it is just a tool with averages built into it and the food stats are submitted by other members. Increased activity, though important and a "work out" for someone like us, is not REALLY gym worrier status. For me, at this point, it was just about moving in general and I DID NOT eat back any calories.

8. Doing a "real workout": Another subjective topic, but for me, this step was an at home, online or DVD workout. Even the "easy" type can be a lot of work for someone not fit. I waited to add this until I met my walking goals as a way to amp it up but not be so very disappointed when I could keep up with the instructor. I still use some of these. They travel with me on work trips and allow me to complete in privacy of hotel room. I am not fighting for equipment in the hotel "gym". My first goal was to complete the work out. The second was to keep pace with the instructor. When that happened, I got a more difficult DVD and repeated the process.

9. Adjusting for fitness/workouts: At this phase, I had lost 30 plus pounds and was starting to see muscle previously hidden under the fat. It became my new layer of goal setting...abs were my deal but could be arms or legs. What ever is important to you. I set a size goal, not just a weigh goal, though I like to think I am realistic about the two. Many people will de-bunk "spot" exercising but for the non-athlete/non- gym worrier there is nothing wrong with focusing on such a goal. It is still about moving and burning calories. Way later, if you enter the realm of the super work-out queen, then change/set new goals on the topic.

10. Annual Physical...HOLY CBC comparing!...that is such a success story for me. Unfortunately, my medical concerns are not controllable by diet and exercise but having the rest of my body in a healthy state and moving more reduces my symptoms over all. I think it was the first time in my life I ever left the doctors office feeling better than when I walked it and he didn't do a darn thing. Yes, paying him for nothing was worth it! LOL

Not all bodies and frames are the same. My mid-BMI is 128, which will make me (estimating) a size
    7. My best buddy is the same height and age as myself but her frame is very small, she stays around a size 2-4 (110 pounds). She looks great...I would look like a skeleton. Be realistic about your short term and long term goals. If you obsess about where you are NOT, it will consume and depress you, causing failure. This is a long road, not a skip to the corner store.

I am now 8 pounds from my goal (Size 8 is getting loose-my old size 18's are purged from the closet) and know I will make it and maintain it. The process has been over a year of serious effort but this process has kept me healthy and steady and motivated in the fight. There are days I wish were better and other days I am very proud, just part of the journey, but it is your journey.

I KNOW you can do this...there is a magic formula for success but it will be your formula. You have to live with it, not anyone else. Follow your own path but be realistic and honest with yourself about what that path needs to be. I hope my experiences will help you.
  • catinamess
    Options
    Thanks so much! Very inspiring. Hopefully I can follow your example!