2»

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Good luck!
    catinamess wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll have to see if I can find that documentary. I can see how easy it is to put on the weight, so getting it off again shouldn't be rocket science. I guess I always tried to do it too quickly and was setting myself to fail. Maybe I should try a smaller goal first to get used to logging food, instead of realising I'm always going over the 1200 calories I was aiming for.

Start smaller so you don't get too discouraged and your body gets used to it. I went to a week or two at 1500 before going down to 1300 (My body protests too much at 1200). Also, my dietitian years ago said I could also start by logging one meal for a few days/week and then add another, then another.

My BMI to be considered "healthy" is a weight I don't think I could acheive, and if i did, pretty sure i could never maintain. I am aiming for a weight that I think will work for me (but may still have me in "overweight" category. But I have been far into the obese range as well in the past. twice in the past for many years.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. A month gone, and although I've drastically cut alcohol intake, my snacking is still completely out of hand.
    I do like the idea of sticking to maintenance first then cutting back from there. It should feel a lot more manageable.

@catinamess

Lowering alcohol is a small change. Make that a habit, then on to the next change. One thing I do to help me with snacks is buying the small packs of snacks (such as the snack packs of chips), they usually run anywhere from 100-200 calories per package (Pringles ~ 100 calories, cookies ~ 200). Those little packs are generally enough to kill a craving and it prevents mindlessly overeating that happens with the big packages. Yes, it's a bit more expensive per serving, but if you end up eating a lot less if it - it does come out cheaper.
  • Jams29
    Jams29 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My bmi is 28...close to obese. Looking in the mirror I would never think that but I can't deny how high my weight is now...need to lose 25 pounds to be a healthy bmi. Ugh. Befriend me if you want! We can do it!
  • catinamess
    catinamess Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    July is here. 3 weeks before my holiday, would love to lose some weight before then. I'm seeing friends who've never seen me this big, so that's another motivation.
    It's really hot where I live at the moment, so hopefully drinking lots of water will help suppress my appetite. The problem is I'm always reverting back to my habits of eating when I'm stressed or bored, and I need to find a better way of dealing with those situations.
  • Mojoback2018
    Mojoback2018 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have joined a group on mfp 'just give me 10 days'. this is my first round with them. you agree to weigh in every day. This has really helped me keep my focus on my goal - which is any weight loss is a bonus. LOL. I am finding that focusing on today only has helped me to make small adjustments that have so far been effective. Hope this helps. XX
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I've been in denial about my weight gain, but can no longer pretend I'm ok. I'm hoping this is my lightbulb moment and that I'm going to take my weight seriously. I'm still in shock to see the numbers on the scale.

I would like some accountability partners please. Maybe that's what would help me stick to logging my food. I've been on and off (mostly off) MFP for years now, so I can see how my weight has slowly but very surely gone up in the last few years.
    I have to change, and sooner than later.

I am really close to obese, too! Well, according to BMI. However, if we met at the gym, there is no way on God's green planet that you would think that. I am *NOT* a fan of BMI, but lots and lots and lots of things use BMI. So, maybe this "wakeup call" is doing you some good? Sounds like it is.

If I might suggest, baby steps!

I was almost technically obese when I started losing weight and like you, you probably wouldn't have guessed it if you met me. I'm in the same mind as you that BMI isn't that good when you have a lot of muscle. Now, I have a a reasonable amount of muscle so I convinced myself that my weight was fine because of that muscle. Which is how I let myself get quite as heavy as I did. It took other ques to make me realise how bad it had got because I ignored BMI completely. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't take into account body fat percentage/muscle mass and isn't good for people who have a lot of muscle mass. But I have realised that unless you actually know your body fat percentage (or are at a stage that you are considering that as a factor) then BMI is a reasonable baseline.

OP: Having that lightbulb moment is always the most terrifying thing ever. Try not go too aggressive, and try and make changes for life. Think about what you're going to do when you reach your goal weight? If you plan to just go back to eating how you did before, then you'll just end up back here again in a couple of years time. Remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint. Don't be afraid to adjust your plan as you go, and make small changes at a time.

I've found doing challenges are keeping me really good on accountability, so check out that forum if you fancy it.

And good luck! :smiley:
  • jmr5681
    jmr5681 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For me it wasn't only the BMI but I also realized that I was eating unhealthy food. Since I have been loging into MFP, only 8 days, I closely watch my Macros and Nutrients.
  • catinamess
    Options
    jmr5681 wrote: »
    For me it wasn't only the BMI but I also realized that I was eating unhealthy food. Since I have been loging into MFP, only 8 days, I closely watch my Macros and Nutrients.

Oh yes, my diet is appalling. I'm trying to stop eating so many sweet and processed foods, but they've been such a big part of my diet, I almost forgot what healthy alternatives I could have.
  • catinamess
    Options
    Hi, I have joined a group on mfp 'just give me 10 days'. this is my first round with them. you agree to weigh in every day. This has really helped me keep my focus on my goal - which is any weight loss is a bonus. LOL. I am finding that focusing on today only has helped me to make small adjustments that have so far been effective. Hope this helps. XX

I'll have to look it up! I haven't ventured in the challenge part of the forum yet!