Rowing Machine

Options
I purchased a rowing machine as my doctor said this would help my back. Does anyone know where to find good exercise programs for rowing machine workouts? I have looked around, but all I seem to find are people explaining about rowers, but not listing anything useful as far as program information.

Many youtube videos also say they are programs and then when watched it is more about stretching and your form and that's it.

Replies

• f77b
    f77b Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get a concept2 account log your work outs :)
    This forum is useful http://www.c2forum.com/
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Concept 2 will also send you a workout of the day if you subscribe that mailing list
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    OP: Your doc is wrong.

A rower does not "help" your back. However, you can use a rower w/a bad back because it is involved mimimally in rowing.

That said, IMO the C2 rower is the best piece of exercise equipment that I ever purchased. I currently row 10k meters/day and haven't used my spin bike in over a year.

If you use your rower regularly, you will get into the best shape of your life just doing that.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love my concept2. I don't feel like it's a real workout though. I don't sweat. Any suggestions??
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    f77b wrote: »
    Get a concept2 account log your work outs :)
    This forum is useful http://www.c2forum.com/

This. I found it so helpful that I'm a pretty active member. There's a plan called The Pete Lunch Hour Plan that's pretty famous in C2 training spaces. It's useful for both preparing for races as well as for beginners. There's various versions of it. The Pete Plan Thread on the C2 site has become a very educational thread. I actually started the current thread around two years ago as a way to "pay back" all the people that helped me when I was looking for information.

There's a BPP (Beginner Pete Plan), there's a full PP (for 2K race prep) and other various versions of it. Pete Marston created the plan years ago (he was a very competitive British Indoor rower). We've had so much activity on there it's not funny. It ranges in experience from 60 year olds out of shape to several current WR holders on the indoor rower (C2 or "ergometer"). The nice thing is that people are very helpful about everything. I'd strongly recommend you check that thread out and not because I'm active in it. I'm currently not active because I'm not currently working the plan but I help out from time to time moderating it and keeping the thread positive.

Any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm certainly no world class rower myself, just a guy who really loves it and enjoys doing it an exorbitant amount of time!

@adamlambert1877 - I don't know what to say to that except you're not doing it enough I suppose or the right way to build a sweat. I typically lose 2 to 3 pounds in an hour of sweat. I could literally wring out my shirts. I'll usually have a puddle below the rower when I'm done with my long, slow rows. Each rowing stroke should feel like a mini "clean" if it's done right. There's an App called ErgData on the iPhone that tells you with each stroke what your peak power and your average power are. In a typical row, I average around 170 Watts to 230 Watts and from 90 avg lbs per stroke to over 100 lbs per stroke. In an hour, you'll average roughly 1000 to 1500 strokes. Try to do 1000 cleans in an hour with 100 lbs and not sweat! That's the equivalent of rowing if done right. Performed correctly, an average male should burn (minimum) of 500 calories an hour. I average around 700 to 900 an hour. When I ran, I was so slow I only averaged around 500 to 550 an hour, so I burn way more rowing than running.

I would agree that (indirectly) the rower can help your back. I have a bad lower back and a bad neck. Since starting rowing 4 years ago, the pain is much less in my neck (it really works the traps, upper back and neck) and my core is a lot more strong. It's hard to describe quickly (that's why I'd recommend you check out the PP thread) but if you row unstrapped, you will have to rely on your core more to go from the finish to the catch (the recovery phase). By not being strapped in (most in the gym cheat by having the straps hold them in), you use your core to keep you upright and move back into the catch position. I'm 53 and have a soft "six pack" and don't do any other core work, just rowing. You can certainly get better posture by rowing and correct electronics/computer neck.

Contrary to what you see in most gyms, too, the rower should be around 50% leg power, 25% torso/hip drive and 25% upper body. Most people I see in a gym are more like 75% upper body (and killing their spine) and the only leg they are using is sliding back to the catch (the initiation phase). Dark Horse Rowing and Decent Rowing on YouTube have some of the best form videos I've seen.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    I love my concept2. I don't feel like it's a real workout though. I don't sweat. Any suggestions??

Unless you have a physical condition that prevents you from sweating, just row harder.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options

For some people, incorrect form is limiting their indoor rower workout.

Sometimes, people think you should set the damper on maximum in order to get a good workout. That's not correct. Even national team (Olympic) rowers uses mid-range damper settings (4-6 on a Concept 2) for most workouts. Also, some people think they have to move up and down the slide crazy-fast to get a workout. That's also incorrect. It's absolutely possible to get a sweat-drenched workout at strokes per minute in the mid-20s, or even lower. It's not about how fast you move.

With a rowing machine, you create the workout by how much intensity you can apply between the footplate and the handle. You're basically trying to slightly suspend your weight mostly horizontally between those two points (butt gets lighter/less compressed on the seat) while applying muscle strength, first from legs, then back, then arms (in gross body part terms). These things require good technique, or it can't happen. It's best to start at a relatively low stroke rating (strokes per minute) to groove in good technique, then gradually increase the strokes per minute as you're able to get more power into each stroke.

The Concept 2 web site has good beginner instructions and videos. (http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training). Even better is a knowledgeable coach. Way too many general trainers do not themselves know how to use a rowing machine correctly, sadly.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? In NYC there are rowing classes.
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Long Island.

Do you do long durations then break or (example) 3 minutes then 1 min break. Then 2 mins then 3 mins, etc?
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Long Island.

Do you do long durations then break or (example) 3 minutes then 1 min break. Then 2 mins then 3 mins, etc?

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

Here's the best beginner plan in my humble opinion. The most important thing is to learn a proper rowing stroke and continually refine that. Use that stroke when you row slower and use that same stroke when you row faster.
  • sgt1372
    edited May 2018
    Options

You'd barely get warmed up doing a 3 min rowing session. That's less than just 500 meters for most people.

FWIW, I usually row 4x2500 meter sets which take me 12-13 mins each, depending on how hard I want to work w/a 5 min rest period in between sets.

I can also break this up into two 2x2500 sessions w/a 15-30 min or 3-4 hr break in between depending on my schedule and how hard or little effort I want to exert.

Total workout time in either case is sbout an hr/day and much less time than I'd spend driving to/from and at the gym.

BTW, the standard rowing distances are 500, 1000, 2000, 5000 and 10k meters.

My limit on the rower is usually 2500 meters because I cannot sit comfortably on the rower for more than 15 mins.

However, I rowed a 5k meter set in 25 mins today in order to try out a new seat cushion. It was better w/the cushion but still not my favorite time/distance.

I've done a 10k meter set once and swore ai'd never do that again. LOL! ;)
  • sgt1372
    Options

Another thought crossed my mind about this which I thought deserved further conment.

Echoing another thread, the amount you sweat doesn't necessarily represent the quality of your workout. Of course, this assumes that you are working out efficiently w/proper technique and reasonabke effort.

In this context, I think you can get a very "good" workout rowing w/o sweating very much, if at all.

Personally, I normally row at a moderate level of effort which for me is at 26-28spm at 105-115 watts or about 625-725 cals/hr.
    At this rate, I sweat a little but not much, my breathing isn't labored and my HR is barely elevated.

However, I routinely burn 550 cals in about 50 mins of actual row time, which by comparison is 2-2.5x's the "burn" I'd get walking 3 flat miles in an hour or about the same rate of exertion climbing a 1000 ft hill over the same time/distance. I don't sweat much doing these other activities either.

So, the amount you sweat isn't necessarily the determining factor in how "good" your rowing workout is.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2018
    Options
    This is a great video to see how a world class rower rows. This guy (Josh Dunkley Smith) is a retiring Olympic outdoor rower. This is one of his (failed) attempts at breaking the long standing indoor 2K WR. He smashed it this year (5:34, which is totally insane). He rows barefoot.

The wattage generated by this guy is in the range of 500W to 600W for the entire duration of the row, which is around 30 calories a minute. The fact that this guy can even smile during the row is just ludicrous.

This is just some context as to how hard rowing can be. His form, throughout, is amazing. Funny thing, his Olympic mates tried to talk him out of retiring after he broke the indoor record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyN9E417AIQ
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Great video! I do CrossFit and I am going to add rowing in a few times a week. I am trying to focus on the recovery after a pull. Thanks for the info!
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    Options
    I wAtched the videos. Thanks for the concept 2 site!!!! I'm doing damper on 5 but my form wasn't good. Appreciate the help. It was more difficult using proper form but still didn't sweat. The post about sweating was insightful!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    I wAtched the videos. Thanks for the concept 2 site!!!! I'm doing damper on 5 but my form wasn't good. Appreciate the help. It was more difficult using proper form but still didn't sweat. The post about sweating was insightful!

I'd suggest keeping your strokes per minute low to moderate while you work on basic technique: Slower stroke rating gives you more mental bandwidth to notice and correct technical issues. It's easier and better to establish good technique as a new rower, and can be devilishly hard to break bad habits later. As much as you can manage, commit to grooving in good technique up front. It's an investment.

With sub-par technique, you're not going to be able to apply power properly, which means you won't be able to achieve the best workout intensity at any given level of strength/CV fitness. Since you have a C2, I'm assuming you're committed to this as a long term activity, so it's worth some patience at the start to get technique right.

I understand that sweat is not your best workout indicator (if you're a non-sweating kind of person - but if you sweat during other intense cardio activities, you should expect to do so when rowing). There are a few other things that can give you some rough feedback on how good the workout is. For example:

You should be able to drive your heart rate very high, even to HRmax, if you choose to. (If you're newer to working out, it's not the best idea to try to do this before you have a fitness base. Work on the fitness base first. But you should be able to get your heart pounding, assuming that's safe for you.)

Another indicator is your legs. With a workout that challenges you, you should be able to feel a jelly legs effect right after an intense effort (even a fairly short intense one), and should have some sore muscles later. (This stays true forever, you just have to keep applying progressively more power per stroke to get there.) I'm not saying you should strive for this with every workout. But it's one thing that tells you you've been working, and that your technique is serving you well enough to do so.

Beyond that, you can compare your splits (the minutes per 500 meter figure from the monitor) to others your age and weight class in the Concept 2 online rankings. I'm not suggesting you need to be right at the top (these are typically elites), but the lower you are for your age/weight, the more likely it is that technique issues are limiting your performance and workout intensity. (Yes, strength and CV fitness are also important - strength perhaps more influential than CV endurance at the short distances/times, the reverse at the longer ones. Having both is obviously most beneficial at every distance, but most of us aren't there yet. ;) )

We all choose what kind of workout to do on any given day, varying intensity, duration, etc., depending on our current status and personal goals. If you choose to row intensely, with good technique, you should be able to get as good a workout on a rower as pretty much anything, if not better (because you use more parts of your body than some other activities, not because rowing has subtle secret magic).

Best wishes!

P.S. Boats are more fun. Just sayin'. ;)
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    Options
    <3 Thanks Ann, that's a lot to digest. Let me give it a try. I'll report back.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you can post a video of yourself rowing on the concept2 forum and get some feedback on your technique.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Technique is very important, but even with perfect technique you need to exert yourself. Rowing is as easy or hard as you want it to be.
  • svecc
    svecc Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Does anyone use the rowing machines at Planet Fitness? I guess I should ask them how to use them. They have a keypad with some settings but what do they mean?