First Triathlon

Options
Hello,

I need some advice, I have my first triathlon coming up in September and I’m wondering what will be more beneficial. Being leaner or stronger? Right now I’m working out 6 days a week (crossfit or gym)with biking or running on the 7th. I’m pretty broad with wide shoulders but I feel I might be too heavy. I’m 5’6 at 168 lbs. Any advice for a successful first tri?
Thank you!

Replies

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I did my first last month. Are you swimming in open water?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Worrying about leaner or stronger is majoring in the minors for now. Focus on getting yourself into condition to perform satisfactorily in all legs.

This means focus on training for the actual events themselves. Cross training is helpful, but not as helpful as active training for the running, riding, or swimming portions.

Also, go hardest on your worst activity. For most of us that's the swimming (especially open water swimming). Human tendency is to only practice the things that we're already good at. Do not do this.
  • edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    what distance is the tri ?
    How's your swimming ?
    A good tri plan would see you do each of the 3 disciplines at least twice a week, with some strength/core thrown in too. Core work helps support you on the bike and will help keep good form on the run.
    You should try and do at least one brick session a week - running off the bike, so you get used to running on jelly legs.
    If you keep up a good tri program, along with mindful eating, then the weight will come off and you will have developed the muscular endurance you need. Triathlon doesn't really require strength, except in the mind ;)
    And don't forget a rest day, 7 days a week is inviting injury and at the least will reduce improvements in performance.
    I've raced from sprint to iron distance, so should be able to answer any questions you have.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Start running, cycling, and swimming and make sure you get in your brick work...dial down the crossfit/gym. You're also going to need rest days for recovery.
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    That is awesome! I did my first last month. Are you swimming in open water?

Yes, it’s the xterra so it’s mountain biking and a trail run. I’m a really solid runner and decent mountain biker so those two parts I’m prepared for. My swimming is really weak but improving.
  • Thediamond13
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Worrying about leaner or stronger is majoring in the minors for now. Focus on getting yourself into condition to perform satisfactorily in all legs.

This means focus on training for the actual events themselves. Cross training is helpful, but not as helpful as active training for the running, riding, or swimming portions.

Also, go hardest on your worst activity. For most of us that's the swimming (especially open water swimming). Human tendency is to only practice the things that we're already good at. Do not do this.

Good advice, I’m glad the swim is first. I just ordered my wetsuit this week. I’m ready for it as far as endurance goes. I’m just nervous for the open water.
  • Thediamond13
    Options
    edmudman wrote: »
    How's your swimming ?
    A good tri plan would see you do each of the 3 disciplines at least twice a week, with some strength/core thrown in too. Core work helps support you on the bike and will help keep good form on the run.
    You should try and do at least one brick session a week - running off the bike, so you get used to running on jelly legs.
    If you keep up a good tri program, along with mindful eating, then the weight will come off and you will have developed the muscular endurance you need. Triathlon doesn't really require strength, except in the mind ;)
    And don't forget a rest day, 7 days a week is inviting injury and at the least will reduce improvements in performance.
    I've raced from sprint to iron distance, so should be able to answer any questions you have.

It’s a sprint for the xterra in Ogden, Utah and my swimming isn’t great but it’s quickly improving. Saturdays have been my brick sessions for now. I keep meaning to take a rest day being active is mental therapy for me. If I don’t at least get a mild jog in I go crazy. Thanks for the advice!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Between leaner or stronger - leaner generally - as less weight moved allows faster and better endurance ability.
    Strength is anaerobic usually, might be helpful on some hills to charge up, but otherwise...

But you have it easy if that much time to lose maybe 10-15 lbs. I could see race weight being 150 for you, I'm 5'10" and 155 was mine. And race weight not required by long shot, especially if short distance tri, like Oly or less. 70.3 starts making a difference. And if just completing it is purpose not time, slower because heavier is always possible.

Just take a slightly bigger deficit on your big burn days when it's mostly fat being burned anyway from endurance workout.
    Keep maintenance on days after resistance training if you try to keep that up - but eventually it will interfere, except perhaps for upper body.

So you basically have 3 months for training? (if beginning of Sep and required taper, you have less time)
    And 6 days currently is gym/crossfit only?
  • Thediamond13
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Between leaner or stronger - leaner generally - as less weight moved allows faster and better endurance ability.
    Strength is anaerobic usually, might be helpful on some hills to charge up, but otherwise...

But you have it easy if that much time to lose maybe 10-15 lbs. I could see race weight being 150 for you, I'm 5'10" and 155 was mine. And race weight not required by long shot, especially if short distance tri, like Oly or less. 70.3 starts making a difference. And if just completing it is purpose not time, slower because heavier is always possible.

Just take a slightly bigger deficit on your big burn days when it's mostly fat being burned anyway from endurance workout.
    Keep maintenance on days after resistance training if you try to keep that up - but eventually it will interfere, except perhaps for upper body.

So you basically have 3 months for training? (if beginning of Sep and required taper, you have less time)
    And 6 days currently is gym/crossfit only?

Well I’m in maintenance from my last bike race and half marathon so I’m still running 15 miles a week and swimming twice. Then the other days I do crossfit (give or take 4-6 times) I’d guess I’m around 17%body fat right now. 150 would seem like a skin and bones me haha.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You got this so easy then!
  • FutureDVM2020
    FutureDVM2020 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do some workouts of immediately getting off the bike then running. I’ve done 2 sprints in the past and just did my first one in 4 years a few weeks ago. I hadn’t really been training for this recent one and I could definitely tell the difference. My legs cramped up on the run and felt so heavy because I had done minimal bike training and zero back to back bike-runs prior to this one. (I kinda just did it on a whim)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    How's your swimming ?

It’s a sprint for the xterra in Ogden, Utah and my swimming isn’t great but it’s quickly improving. Saturdays have been my brick sessions for now. I keep meaning to take a rest day being active is mental therapy for me. If I don’t at least get a mild jog in I go crazy. Thanks for the advice!

I can relate! Maybe your "rest" days you can swim laps. Not for speed, but just for the activity and to work on technique. Good luck and enjoy the race!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Look into possible tri training groups in your area, especially for training open water swim technique.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    For an xterra, I'd say stronger vs lighter - the courses just aren't long enough for a few lbs to matter all that much. But if it's a demanding bike course, being a bit stronger can definitely matter.

Full disclosure, I don't know what the terrain is like out where you are or what the course will be like, so kind of take that with a grain of salt.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Good advice, I’m glad the swim is first. I just ordered my wetsuit this week. I’m ready for it as far as endurance goes. I’m just nervous for the open water.

You can't win the race during the swim, but the swim can definitely ruin the race for you. IMO, if you struggle in the swim, start at the back and find clear water as quickly as you can. Then just work to get into your rhythm and manage the turns and congestion that comes with them.

I treat the swim as my sacrifical lamb, if you will. I'm more than happy to give up 10 or 15 seconds letting people get past me and/or getting out of the way if it means a less miserable swim leg. I'm almost always one of the last in my group coming out of the water.. it's not hard to make up that time though.
  • Thediamond13
    Options
    Do some workouts of immediately getting off the bike then running. I’ve done 2 sprints in the past and just did my first one in 4 years a few weeks ago. I hadn’t really been training for this recent one and I could definitely tell the difference. My legs cramped up on the run and felt so heavy because I had done minimal bike training and zero back to back bike-runs prior to this one. (I kinda just did it on a whim) [/quote

I think it’ll be ok! I just like to hear from others on the same situation and get some tips!
  • Thediamond13
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    How's your swimming ?

I can relate! Maybe your "rest" days you can swim laps. Not for speed, but just for the activity and to work on technique. Good luck and enjoy the race!

Thank you! I think I’ll do more of those “swim rest days”
  • Thediamond13
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

You can't win the race during the swim, but the swim can definitely ruin the race for you. IMO, if you struggle in the swim, start at the back and find clear water as quickly as you can. Then just work to get into your rhythm and manage the turns and congestion that comes with them.

I treat the swim as my sacrifical lamb, if you will. I'm more than happy to give up 10 or 15 seconds letting people get past me and/or getting out of the way if it means a less miserable swim leg. I'm almost always one of the last in my group coming out of the water.. it's not hard to make up that time though.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. That’ll be my strategy for the swim.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I need some advice, I have my first triathlon coming up in September and I’m wondering what will be more beneficial. Being leaner or stronger? Right now I’m working out 6 days a week (crossfit or gym)with biking or running on the 7th. I’m pretty broad with wide shoulders but I feel I might be too heavy. I’m 5’6 at 168 lbs. Any advice for a successful first tri?
    Thank you!

I did a sprint tri with my 15 year old daughter 4 years ago. I'm 5'11" and was probably all of 235-245 at that time. I finished, and was faster than her on the bike, and she was faster swimming and running. But I had the overall better time.

My transitions sucked. They were timed and I left a lot of time on the table in transition.

It would have been easier if I were 40-50 pounds lighter.

I agree with the others. Dial back the crossfit and spend time swimming, running and on the bike.

And spend time practicing your transitions if they are timed.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Fit #1.
    Mass #2.

I'm 6'-0" and my racing weight is 150. I'm a faster runner at 140, but better on the bike at 150 (no huge climbs in tris/dus).

But if you aren't going for a podium, does it matter? 10-20-40 lbs extra will slow you down quite a bit, but if your goal is not winning, you do what you need to do to reach that goal