Implanon removal and weight loss

Options

Replies

• ruvirivera23
    ruvirivera23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just had to sign up and share my experience with you all just because THE STRUGGLE IS REAL. Immediately after I had my son in April 2015 at 18, my OBGYN recommended I go right into BC. I tried the depo shot for 3 mos to see how the hormones would sit and thought it wouldn't be so bad after all if I went for the NEXPLANON implant. Almost 3 years later I am so over this nightmare. I had cosmetic surgery (lipo, fat transfer, bbl, and implants) and weighed a good 132 lbs. 11 months after having my birth control in. I exercised and was able to maintain my weight.. even though I struggled to get back to my pre baby weight of 125 I thought maybe all I needed was a diet change and more commitment in the gym. Of course before all this mess and before having gotten pregnant I ate whatever I felt like, no clue what the gym was, drank alcohol (do not judge me for these bad choices-you don't know me gf), and life was good. The next year and a half I seriously couldn't get a clue of how it was possible for me to continuously gain weight. I minded what I ate, I worked out vigorously, I didn't have any bad vices like drinking. WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON. It never occurred to me to go to Google and even think just maybe it was my BC. I mean at this point what else could it be.. I love the gift of common sense and to me the only thing that really did start to make sense was that these hormones were starting to get the best of me. I am blessed to have found all these sisters who share this common problem with me cause boy did I feel out of place. I TOOK IT OUT 9 DAYS AGO in Mexico and it's the best thing I've ever done. I'm young and I'm married.. and the sex.. let. me. tell. you.. Even though I've had to switch to condoms I'm having the same mindblowing sex me and my man had since before the 4 years of having been pregnant and getting on contraceptives. Sorry for being a lil outspoken but that's what we're here for ladies. REAL stories. REAL experiences. Aside from that.. I don't eat the crap I'd always crave or eat past my limit. I can barely eat my portions and I just feel AMAZING. This gives me more hope to finally lose weight. WHAT BROKE ME AND MADE ME BREAK UP WITH THIS EASY WAY OUT OF NOT GETTING PREGNANT WAS GAINING 26 LBS THAT CREEPED UP ON ME THESE LAST FEW MONTHS. I have already lost 6 lbs in less than 2 weeks. my goal is 20 more.. I do plan on having another baby soon, but I dont want to have to burden myself with my baby's weight and the uneccessary weight that these hormones brought on me. I will keep you all updated. PROVE ALL YOU NEGATIVE COMMENTERS WRONG ABOUT THE NEXPLANON NOT BEING THE CAUSE OF THIS WEIGHT GAIN. The same doctor who removed it recommended to have it removed if I wanted to lose weight. Sooooo... see y'all in a couple months babes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Update:
    I had my implanon removed on May 7th, 2018 and I have already lost 5lbs as of today. I could not loose a single pound while I had the implanon, and even put on weight. I am doing the same amount of exercise and eating and I finally manage to loose some weight. IT WAS THE IMPLANON! No one can tell me otherwise. I am also less bloated and I have more energy.

Yes you are correct it was the Implanon that you can blame for that 5lbs you just lost and the bloat. Any form of "HORMONAL" birth control causes water retention in most woman...

But it won't make you keep fat or gain it without excess calories. If you lose weight and your clothing becomes loose than you are retaining less fluid most likely.

Birth control itself cannot create fat nor can it create weight other than water weight and bloat.
  • Jasminenathan9
    Jasminenathan9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve had the implanon in for 6 Years ( back to back ) I was small when I first got on it ( active in sports and just working out ) I’ve gained weight since . I got the removal June 2018 . Before removal I weight 193 pounds . As of August 2 2018 I weight 174 pounds 😳 I’ve also been stressed , appetite has changed , I can go almost 2 days without eating , but I must add I may also be pregnant .
  • Lgoodrick
    Lgoodrick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got nexplanon after my twins were born I. December 2016. When I came home from the hospital I weighed 168, I now weigh 190 depsite constant diet and exercise. And no thyroid problems or anything.

I have an appointment to get mine out later this month.
  • DiamondCookies
    DiamondCookies Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had Nexplanon for 2 years and got it removed about a year and a half ago. I found that while I could still lose weight on Nexplanon, it was much more difficult and I would plateau more frequently and longer than without it. I also retained more water weight on average with Nexplanon. I definitely gained weight while on it but it was more from my terrible diet than the birth control itself.

I got rid of it because it made my anxiety and emotions almost uncontrollable, and after a month long plateau and constant headaches I had it.
  • jeanap27
    jeanap27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! All of these answers are confirming my theory. I've been on Nexplanon for almost the 3 year mark (two months shy). I have been seeing a personal trainer, work out at least 3 hours a week on a slow week, am very conscious of what I eat and the only thing I can think of getting in the way of my personal weight loss goals is my birth control. Especially since I had been dropping pounds regularly when I got the implant to begin with.

My question to everyone though that hasn't come up (granted, I haven't had time to read ALL of the answers) - Those that have had the Nexplanon removed and have lost weight, have you gone on any other forms of birth control or have you simply quit altogether?
    I'm getting mine removed in a little over a week and I'm really debating between quitting altogether or trying the nuvaring for a few months.

Someone please help! I've been researching this everywhere.
  • KathGrace92
    KathGrace92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just got my implant out Tuesday (8/28) and it’s now Sunday. I’ve lost four pounds in five days. Bloating is gone, less anxiety, I don’t feel hungry all the time anymore!

Before implant I was 135
    Two years after implant was placed my highest weight got to 167.
    With intense working out and dieting I got down to 161 but the rest of the weight wouldn’t budge.
    Now I’m at 157 just by removing the implant.

Currently taking a “detox” from all these hormones and plan on getting an IUD next month.
  • jteeva
    jteeva Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have been on Nexplanon for 5.5 years I got it inserted shortly after high school. Nexplanon is not responsible for my weight gain but has made weight loss impossible.
    I was 175lbs when I started and was 267lbs the morning before removal.
    My lifestyle changed and I am sure metabolism changed. But I am constantly hungry, it doesn't matter what I eat or how much I never stop feeling hungry.

I had the implant removed Tuesday (9/4) as of this morning the scale is reading 263lb. Probably just water retention loss but I will take anything at this point.

I will update you as more time passes.
  • Janine810
    Janine810 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It’s so nice to read this forum as I thought it was all in my head with struggling to lose weight and other side affects. I eat a calorie controlled diet of about 1200cals per day. I follow slimming world meals. Which I mainly have these meals with veg or salad. I work out nearly everyday, most days twice. And I still think the scales should be lowering. But they stay the same. I watch my friends follow similar diets but are less strict and have lost nearly two stone. I have other side effects such as loss of sex drive (this is non existent and I did have a high one - sorry. TMI) also hair loss, mood swings. My husband says I’m bipolar. I am/was the happiest person I know. But wow he’s started getting under my skin (he could just be a *kitten* 😂)
    I had my Implant taken out yest as I wanted to be free of anything not natural in my body to try sort my own hormone levels out.
    I can’t 100% say it is the implant that is causing all these side effects. But at least I’m free of any kind of drugs that are getting pumped into my body. And hopefully things will change. If not, then I’ll have to take it from there. Until then. Wish me luck 😊
  • pinkkatmilk
    pinkkatmilk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ive had an implanon in for the last 3 years. In that time ive lost a little over 46 kilos.
    I can assure you the weightloss had nothing to do with the implanon and everything to do with exercising and diet.
  • MrsG85
    MrsG85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel like the total opposite of most ladies here. I had the implanon in July 2017. I was 70kgs and dropped to 59kgs. I had it removed end of August 2018 (weight was stable at 59/60kgs) now 6 weeks later I'm 62kgs? Same food and exercise. Not sure if it's removing it or what. I feel heavier and alot more exhausted in general. So weird?!
  • MrsG85
    MrsG85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the implanon in July 2017 (I was 70kgs). I drop down to 59kgs and maintained it with eating well and exercising. I had the implanon removed end of August and 6 weeks later am now weighing in at 62kgs. Haven't changed my diet or exercise. I actually feel heavy and really exhausted all the time. Weird?!
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I've had an implant for almost six years now. I started a serious effort to lose weight and get fitter this past December. Since that time, I've lost just under 48 pounds.
  • mherrera15
    mherrera15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wanted to put in my 2 cents.

I got my implant back in feb 2015 after having back to back pregnancies (2014 had my son and 2015 my daughter). Throughout both pregnancies I knew I would gain weight and I did choose to loose my self control with watching my weight. Yet, despite that horrible decision I never went over 163lbs. those full 2yrs I had gained all those extra pounds with my son I stayed 163 the whole time I was pregnant with my daughter.

it’s been 3 yrs and 7 month not once did I bame my implant for gaining all the weight. I even went back in April to get another one for my 3 yrs had already flew by. I gain weight for my own choices. But, I think that the implant has something to do with retaining and gaining weight cause I ate waaaaaay more food while pregnant. More junk food not really watching what went down those times, more like over indulged :). finally noticed looking in the mirror that it was time I wanted to lose the weight. I have a high metabolism so losing weight had been easy for me. I will say I have been border line vegaterian my whole life I ate to nourish my body so I thought no problems I got this!! -___- since 8/20/17 to this day I have had little results always lost 3 to 4 lbs but have always gained more than lost I’m at my highest 179 lbs. I have decreed my food intake started working out, my job is a active pyshical one and my diet is a healthy one. Mind over matter choosing to change my life style to loose the weight is my goal in mind. Making better eating habits and life style change and It did not work for me.

I asked why what changed? Long story short I believe we should all have the benifit of the doubt. I believe that the implant has a role to play we all have different bodies and in my experience it effected me bad. So key point I noticed with my implant 1) my body now does not want to function the way it did before, so really I don’t know it. 2) my mentally has been a roller coaster. 3) it is making harder for me to loose weight it’s impeding. I’m not blaming it all on the implant but it is the only thing that has changed in my life.

So I’m experimenting I getting it taken out Nov. 30th. I will not use any other BC, I will not change anything from my routine, and will keep track. I know ppl are saying the implant isn’t to blame. It’s not but I can’t help wondering if it can cause a different reaction in our bodies. That could show in weight gain, depression etc. think about it all women get some type of depression during pregnancies couldn’t a hormonal BC make it worse?? I believe anything that isn’t made from your body will affect your body. Too much of a good thing is probably TOO much of a good thing. So no periods, no cramping, no possibility of getting prego. Come on what’s it really doing to us??

I’ll keep coming in every 6 months to keep you interested folks updated. And to all who will make me believe I’m a horrible person that puts the “Blame” solely on the implant be aware I will not write back to ya. Just talking to those who are looking to see if it’s true or not.
    Removal= weight loss. yes to loose weight is not just one thing it’s a combination of a lost of little things mostly food and exercise. Do not feel free to lecture me on if I’m doing it wrong. I already researched on what is more beneficial to me. This is the last thing I’m removing from my life. for in my conclusion it IS impeding my goals.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I had an implanon inserted when I was 20, so, almost 7 years ago. I gained so much weight (despite barely eating at the time), had horrendous anxiety, and my periods stopped. I lasted two years before I told them to take it out. Two summers ago I decided to stop using birth control altogether as I have tried everything available and react horribly to them all. My fiancé and I now use condoms and everything is better.. My moods are stable, my bloating is limited to TOM as it should be, my periods are regular as clockwork and the sex is outstanding.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I've used both Depo (3 years) and am now on my second year of Nexplanon and Depo. Hormonal contraceptives can cause changes in appetite. For me personally, it was way worse with Depo. YMMV, but I don't really get the same "period hunger" on Nexplanon and it's been a blessing, most likely since Nexplanon is a lower dose progesterone and very gradual compared to Depo. I've gained weight (and lost it, and gained a little back) since starting both forms of contraception, but I log accurately and measure food by weight so I know that when I gain weight instead of lose it, it's because of overeating.

Was my overeating influenced by hormonal contraception? Yes.

Was the hormonal contraception the cause of my weight gain? No, because I chose to overeat.

Was I able to lose weight using hormonal contraception? Yes, got to my goal weight then stopped many of the good habits I developed and gained a bit of it back.

I think many of y'all might be underestimating a) how much that hormonal hunger and subsequent overeating may be throwing you off your calorie goal, particularly if your logging isn't water-tight, b) how few calories can stop or slow weight loss for people of our (generally shorter) height, c) how much water weight and water retention due to hormones masks weight loss, and d) how much changes in mood can effect adherence to diet/exercise regimes. I don't recall ever seeing a study that said progesterone will significantly decrease your metabolism, so it's far more likely that the known effects (ie water retention, hormonal hunger, changes in mood that affect diet and exercise) are what's effecting your weight loss journey. Those known effects can be overcome with careful planning and management, although it can be very hard for some people (myself included, at least while on Depo).

That being said, there are many forms of BC available so if you're not happy with the side effects of one, definitely try a different method. Every body is different and what's manageable for one person can be unmanageable for another.
  • sonnshine27
    sonnshine27 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I track and weigh everything I eat and do the same exercise (run twice, climb once, lift three and track intensity with my Fitbit), week before nexplanon I lose a kilo, week after I put on one and bloating/muscle definition is obviously worse.... Hated it, if you are fine with the mini pill (I was) stick with it if not try something with less hormones especially if you are going to stick it inside your body 😅
  • KathGrace92
    KathGrace92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 17 lbs since removing Nexplanon. I had an IUD placed after it’s removal and am continuing to lose the weight. :)