Newbie looking for advice on cutting

Options
LargeEricS
LargeEricS Posts: 109 Member
Since I started dieting I have lost 40 pounds. Which is fine except I'm still around 30% body fat. Having taken measurements before I started dieting I can tell you I've lost 4 inches in my arms alone. The kicker is though that my arms weren't that flabby, not defined in any way either but i have a very muscular demanding job and I'm starting to notice the muscle loss. So I'm looking for advice on cutting. I understand I will have a longer cutting period than most, but I cant really afford any more muscle loss. Im 6'4 240, 22 yrs old, and naturally broad shouldered. Any advice is more than I know right now.
bos5xhpfr9s1.jpg
s7niyxd27krz.jpg

Replies

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting weights?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How large a deficit do you currently have?
  • LargeEricS
    Options
    I was doing some light dumbell work, but im hitting the gym hard starting this monday. I planned on a upper/lower/cardio&abs rotation. And somewhere around 500-600cal deficit.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Great work losing 40lbs!

If you're "feeling it" you might be a good candidate for taking a "diet break" -- maybe try eating at maintenance while incorporating more strength training/dedicated weight lifting. Sounds like you're concerned about body composition vs. pure weight loss and while you may see the scale stall briefly, you'll be more likely to gain muscle and see it reflected in energy and ability.

• LargeEricS
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Great work losing 40lbs!

If you're "feeling it" you might be a good candidate for taking a "diet break" -- maybe try eating at maintenance while incorporating more strength training/dedicated weight lifting. Sounds like you're concerned about body composition vs. pure weight loss and while you may see the scale stall briefly, you'll be more likely to gain muscle and see it reflected in energy and ability.

I've considered it, but I still want to lose more if not pounds than inches and I believe based on the little know i can achieve better body composition, possibly still lose some weight, and preserve muscle with an effective "cutting" cycle. If im wrong im hoping someone will tell me. If im right i need cutting advice.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    LargeEricS wrote: »
    I was doing some light dumbell work, but im hitting the gym hard starting this monday. I planned on a upper/lower/cardio&abs rotation. And somewhere around 500-600cal deficit.

I am not sure what you your upper/lower program is, so if its not a program with built in progression you will want to find you one that you like. Protein intake while in a deficit should be adequate enough to support weight loss and your strength training.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Your main goal in a deficit will be to minimize further loss of muscle and if this of greater concern, you can decrease you deficit if you want. Since you are a 'newbie lifter' you have potential to build some minimal muscle under these conditions listed, after you have exhausted the newbie gains just keep going with your weight loss as suited.
  • LargeEricS
    Options
    gcpower wrote: »
    From your photos I would estimate that you are closer to 25% body fat. Impressive work! And if you’ve come this far, maybe you’re willing to come a little further.

Can I interest you strength training? Learning how to properly barbell squat, deadlift, benchpress, overhead press and Pendlay row. Then gradually adding a bit more weight each workout.

Search up Starting Strength and StrongLifts 5x5, watch some Alan Thrall videos. You can have a routine ready for tomorrow and videos to help you puzzle out the proper form.

Think of it as a new chapter to your adventure. You'll be a new person by the end of August.

P.S. If you do choose to go this extra bit farther, you'll want to cut your deficit to 250 kcal, or even go to near maintenance and let the work and muscle growth be the driving factors in your transformation.

Huzzah!

Yeah im definitely planning on hitting the weights, and ill definently look at those routines. Thats another area pf expertise im looking for, ive lifted in the past but just with my buddy and I just always did what he did hahaha. As far as the deficit is 250 a number i should aim towards cause maintenance doesnt interest me.
  • LargeEricS
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I am not sure what you your upper/lower program is, so if its not a program with built in progression you will want to find you one that you like. Protein intake while in a deficit should be adequate enough to support weight loss and your strength training.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Your main goal in a deficit will be to minimize further loss of muscle and if this of greater concern, you can decrease you deficit if you want. Since you are a 'newbie lifter' you have potential to build some minimal muscle under these conditions listed, after you have exhausted the newbie gains just keep going with your weight loss as suited.

Yeah i dont have routine in mind, i just know thats what i'd like to try and aim for an upper/lower/cardio routine
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The guy who wrote the bible on body recomp does suggest diet breaks. Not for a long time, but a few weeks.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

Good luck.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Yeah i dont have routine in mind, i just know thats what i'd like to try and aim for an upper/lower/cardio routine

Also, this link might be of interest. It shows conditions in which building muscle in a deficit is possible as an 'untrained' (new lifter).

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit/p1

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I don’t start a bulk or maintain until I’m around 8% BF. Just my opinion and preference. Depends on your goals though
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There are two ways to lower bf. Less fat or more muscles. Since you are concerned about the musclemass, I would strongly suggest to hit som weights. Lift hard and eat enough proteins.
  • LargeEricS
    Options
    Weights are for sure a priority, im just wondering from a diet standpoint and protein intake I think ive seen the numbers 1g per kg body weight in my research. Will that be enough, I'm a decent sized in the flesh.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Weights are for sure a priority, im just wondering from a diet standpoint and protein intake I think ive seen the numbers 1g per kg body weight in my research. Will that be enough, I'm a decent sized in the flesh.

You may find this an interesting read: https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/

I would personally would go a bit higher than 1 gram per kg. Probably around 0.75-0.8 grams per pound for your body fat %. Congrats on the 40 pounds!

Can you describe the physical demands of your job? I would be concerned about recovery if you are already lifting heavy things at work. Usually it is better to start with a full body routine but if you can time things right a upper/lower split may be better for recovery if your job is demanding.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I always try to get in 1 g per 1 lb of body weight for daily protein, whether it's too much or not to me doesn't matter to me it's better to eat more than enough protein than not enough. And like everyone has said, work on the main compound lifts to start out and split up the body parts how you see fit, I've changed my routine many times throughout my weight lifting years. What might work for others, may not work for you and vice versa, but those compound lifts will help you in some way for sure. Military Press, Dead lifts, Squats, Bench Press, any form of row, but particularly Bent over Row and Low row. eventually start adding more accessory lifts for your shoulders and arms, but those exercises should the staple of your regular work out routine. Test your strength too, but don't go too heavy so that your form is bad, get the form of the lifts correct first, ask people at the gym, I have found that most people are willing to help those with less experience, despite what you might think initially. Have people spot you too especially for bench if you haven't done it all that much. I know for me, it motivates me when I help others at the gym actually. Good luck on your journey to success my friend! If you have any questions or need anything feel free to add me and send a msg!
  • LargeEricS
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

You may find this an interesting read: https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/

I would personally would go a bit higher than 1 gram per kg. Probably around 0.75-0.8 grams per pound for your body fat %. Congrats on the 40 pounds!

Can you describe the physical demands of your job? I would be concerned about recovery if you are already lifting heavy things at work. Usually it is better to start with a full body routine but if you can time things right a upper/lower split may be better for recovery if your job is demanding.

I work for a building contractor. Some days im carrying drywall, others lumber, pails, the occasional package of shingles. Some days I paint in air conditioning it really depends. To try and plan around the physical needs would be impossible, it just varies to much.
  • dozenmonkeyz
    dozenmonkeyz Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Great work so far! You're taking awesome steps in improving your health and physique. I'm no expert so won't offer technical advice, however, I can say with certainty that patience and research will be two very important tools. Don't expect quick results that will be maintainable in the long term; there's no short cuts. Read TONS of quality info, question that info to make sure it fits your personal goals, read more info, implement it and see how it impacts your progress. It will pay off with perseverance. Good luck and hope you keep us posted as you work through it.
  • LargeEricS
    edited June 2018
    Options
    So since ive started this thread and started lifting while dieting i have lost zero pounds, amd zero inches. What gives lol, i know that's pretty general but ask and I'll give you the information I can
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So since ive started this thread and started lifting while dieting i have lost zero pounds, amd zero inches. What gives lol, i know that's pretty general but ask and I'll give you the information I can

You're not measuring accurately is my guess