8 Week Keto Challenge (Post before and after)

Options
stephyyyo
stephyyyo Posts: 107 Member
edited May 2018 in Challenges
Hello, I’m starting an 8 week challenge of eating Keto (high fat, low carb) and intermittent fasting 16:8 window. I’m going to try and do 8 weeks no cheating cause that’s when you get into the “fat-adapted” stage and hopefully by then it’ll be a lifestyle and not a diet anymore.

My intake goals are: 70% fat, 20% protein 10% carbs and I have a calorie goal as well.

Shooting for less than 40g total carbs and hoping for less than 20g net carbs (fiber reduces carbs).

If anyone wants to join in and check in daily with your macros that would be great to keep accountability!

After the 8 weeks our goal will be to post a before and after picture (doesn’t have to be full body, could be of just arms etc). No one is/will be perfect but it would be awesome to add more stakes and see any difference the 8 weeks made.

We got this!

Replies

• Kator90
    Kator90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm down! I've been doing Keto for a week and I'm tempted to start IF.
  • Sesquy
    Sesquy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm brave enough to post a photo, but I'm definitely game for tracking. I started strict keto about a week ago as well after a few weeks of low carb and considering IF.

I'm doing 70/25/5 as goal guidelines and pretty strict on staying around 1500kcal, but basing off net carbs because I eat a lot of avocado at the moment in my diet until I settle into better low cost recipes. Any favorite foods you have so far?
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    Glad to have you guys join in!
    Kator90 wrote: »
    I'm down! I've been doing Keto for a week and I'm tempted to start IF.
    Awesome!!

You can always start with a longer window at first to see if you like it. I heard IF pairs perfectly with keto.
    Sesquy wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'm brave enough to post a photo, but I'm definitely game for tracking. I started strict keto about a week ago as well after a few weeks of low carb and considering IF.

I'm doing 70/25/5 as goal guidelines and pretty strict on staying around 1500kcal, but basing off net carbs because I eat a lot of avocado at the moment in my diet until I settle into better low cost recipes. Any favorite foods you have so far?

Welcome!! Sounds great.

For me I love eggs, coconut oil, olive oil, lots of green veggies, nuts and there are so many great protein choices as well, which is why I think Keto is awesome. I want to push myself to not have a cheat day for 8 weeks to start reaping the full benefits.

What are you guys weightloss or fitness goals?
  • mtwilliams10
    mtwilliams10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to join but of course I'm a little scared about the before and after as well. Hopefully I won't be scared in 8 weeks.

Weightloss goal - would like to loose around 60 pounds but I would be happy with 30.
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    I would like to join but of course I'm a little scared about the before and after as well. Hopefully I won't be scared in 8 weeks.

Weightloss goal - would like to loose around 60 pounds but I would be happy with 30.

Welcome!! The picture is optional, so no worries, but who knows hopefully in 8 weeks we’ll be happy to show progress we’ve made! Hehe
  • stephyyyo
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Day 1 for me went very well!
    I’m attaching a screen shot of my macros which were right on point. I had 3 small scrambled eggs with avocado oil and onion, then a snack of almonds and cheese, then for dinner a greens salad with olive oil, pesto, meatballs and shrimp.
    How did you guys do?

rkl2cp688r83.jpeg

• 0704Johnston
    0704Johnston Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hello, I would love to join this challenge.
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    Hello, I would love to join this challenge.

Hello, welcome!! Post tomorrow how your day goes, best of luck!
  • 0704Johnston
    Options
    Thank you!
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Great timing, and thank you for starting this. I started IF yesterday (16:8) and my dinners are paleo. Short term goal is being not embarrassed in a swim suit in Bora Bora next month (ugh!!!) but long term is to drop the 40lbs still lingering from having my kids 13 years ago, lol. Day 1 went very well, but I was on the road. Hoping Day 2 working from home is equally successful. I did drop 2 pounds overnight.
  • ankinray
    ankinray Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What is the best resource to read up on this type of eating plan and IF?
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    ankinray wrote: »
    What is the best resource to read up on this type of eating plan and IF?

I recommend watching Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube he is super thorough in explaining everything about ketosis and the diet. I will search up some books or articles because the one book I read was about only about sugar and starch and what it does to our bodies, it’s called Why We Get Fat. But for now I recommend starting with those videos!
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    titianwasp wrote: »
    Great timing, and thank you for starting this. I started IF yesterday (16:8) and my dinners are paleo. Short term goal is being not embarrassed in a swim suit in Bora Bora next month (ugh!!!) but long term is to drop the 40lbs still lingering from having my kids 13 years ago, lol. Day 1 went very well, but I was on the road. Hoping Day 2 working from home is equally successful. I did drop 2 pounds overnight.

Welcome!! Awesome! Water weight drops super fast with this lifestyle which is great cause it makes us less bloated, and after a couple weeks you start dropping pure fat!

Let us know how day 2 goes!
  • shallid1
    shallid1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm in ..... will prefer to post pics of scale digits as it goes along. I haven't quite reached the 18:6 window as yet.. more like 15:9 but working on it.
  • 0704Johnston
    Options
    I am not yet back in the habit of measuring and weighing everything like I was, so I am about to estimate (I know, not the best) everything and input to MFP. But here is what I ate so far / am planning to eat for Dinner

B - SF/LC Chai Tea latte, half a premier protein shake with matcha powder mixed in and extra cashew milk for volume, and bacon

L - Home made low carb chili (finely cubed LC veggies (zucc, red bell pepper, okra, etc), ground beef, seasonings, and black soy beans) with cheese and sour cream on top

D - Whiting and yellow onion cooked in butter
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    shallid1 wrote: »
    I'm in ..... will prefer to post pics of scale digits as it goes along. I haven't quite reached the 18:6 window as yet.. more like 15:9 but working on it.

Great idea!! Best of luck!
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    I am not yet back in the habit of measuring and weighing everything like I was, so I am about to estimate (I know, not the best) everything and input to MFP. But here is what I ate so far / am planning to eat for Dinner

B - SF/LC Chai Tea latte, half a premier protein shake with matcha powder mixed in and extra cashew milk for volume, and bacon

L - Home made low carb chili (finely cubed LC veggies (zucc, red bell pepper, okra, etc), ground beef, seasonings, and black soy beans) with cheese and sour cream on top

Awesome!!! Sounds delicious. Were you under your total carb goal?
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Day 2 was a little harder...woke up wayyyyy too early, and have been dragging ever since. Tea with a splash of half n half for breakfast, cup of miso soup for lunch, and then nice dinner, brick chicken leg with lime / bacon marinade and a sweet potato. #1 goal ? A good night’s sleep so tomorrow I don’t get so hungry!
  • 0704Johnston
    edited May 2018
    Options
    titianwasp wrote: »
    Day 2 was a little harder...woke up wayyyyy too early, and have been dragging ever since. Tea with a splash of half n half for breakfast, cup of miso soup for lunch, and then nice dinner, brick chicken leg with lime / bacon marinade and a sweet potato. #1 goal ? A good night’s sleep so tomorrow I don’t get so hungry!

Do you stay in ketosis with the sweet potato? How big was it? I love sweet potato but I never tried to see if I would get kicked out of ketosis with it. I know everyone's limits are different too, but for some reason I feel "safer" with other root veggies like a bit of carrot or onion but not potato or sweet potato. I know I stay in ketosis as long as I don't go overboard with carrot and onion.
  • 0704Johnston
    Options
    stephyyyo wrote: »

Awesome!!! Sounds delicious. Were you under your total carb goal?

It's hard to estimate the chili since it's home made... I was a bit higher in carbs than I wanted to be today. I used a ketostix and I registered a small amount of ketones. I know not everyone is a fan of using ketostix and I used to use the blood meter but those sticks are so expensive. And I know neither is neccessery but when I am getting back on track/back to basics I like to use them.