Daily Steps

Options
For those who track steps, how many do you take in a day? I see MFP uses 10,000. My goal is 8,000 and my stretch is 10,000. Sometimes it's hard to get in 5,000 on busy meeting days at work. I'd love to hear how many you take and how you get there. Thanks.

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I try to get 10,000 on my days off. I get 14-15K on days I work. Ive been taking walks on my day off to get to the goal :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    10000 steps is between 4 and 5 miles for most people in full stride. I do my dedicated walks at ~4.2 mph and it takes me over an hour to hit 10000. Mine disqualifies a lot of short stuff around the house. I have over 10000 today from dedicated walks, but int the last three hours since I got in from my last walk I have been up and down the stairs a few times,walked around in the kitchen and laundry room and back up into a bedroom/office. It hasn't budged since I got home from the walk. Some watches count those, but they also get several steps from washing your hands or brushing your teeth. My wife is less active than I am and gets as many or more steps some days because her FitBit counts more motion as steps.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I try for 10k most weekdays and more on the weekends. First I get 5K before I leave work. That means a going to the restroom in the other building a and short walk at lunch. Then the rest with my evening exercise.
  • Goal195byAug17
    Goal195byAug17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started to do 10k prior to work. Trying for a 5 mile walk before 8am.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My (minimum) goal is 12k/day with an average of around 16 and a target of 20.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I currently have 3125 for today (at 9:20PM) .. I have a home daycare and take care of kids all day. I thought my regular daily steps would be higher, but I have to take a long walk to get up to my goal steps for a day.
  • becarrah
    becarrah Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I understand OP. I too have heavy meeting days when it's hard to get steps in during the day. I have to get them in before or after work and since my work days plus commute can be 11 to 12 hours, I am challenged some days to get over 5,000 steps. My goal is 7,000 with a stretch goal of 10,000.
  • enickma1221
    enickma1221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same challenge here. Busy with meetings all day, and taking care of kids all evening. I'm thinking I need to invest in a treadmill for easy access.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My minimum goal is 5,000. My goal is 7,000-8,000 steps.
    I have a pedometer. It doesn't count hand movements or anything. It is easiest to reach my goal on an ordinary day at home if I walk briskly for 30 minutes to an hour right away in the morning and then just periodically throughout the day.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have a little app called Recess (there are a ton of similar apps available) that reminds me to get off my computer every hour. I usually walk about 500 steps around the house before sitting back down. It can add up over the course of a day.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    My steps are very variable. On a more sedentary day when I'm tied to my desk more I might get 4000. Most days I get around 8000. Some days I get 10000-15000 with exercise included.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. This is helpful. It feels like I will need to incorporate before and after work walks to hit my goals.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I try and get 10k a day. Sometimes it's 14k (including intentional workouts) and others it's 8k. I also work an office job so I walk/jog on my treadmill 3 days before work and the other 2 days I go to the gym after work.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I take a walk at lunch and then shovel my food into my face at my desk. Also, gym at 5 a.m.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I average around 5k. Because I'm mostly lazy and I drive a lot in my job. My preferred excercise is kayaking, so..no steps there but my arms look good!
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm currently averaging 15k. my goal is 12k a day.

I do 7500-8500 at work by walking on my breaks and at lunch, and just incidental up and down to the restroom and to get water and such.

I do weight training every other day which is about 1500-2000 steps just moving around to rearrange weight plates and whatever else.

Then I walk my dogs 1.5 - 2 miles every night.

Weekends I love to get out and hike and walk and go to the little shops so I can easily get above my goal.

The walks at work are what helps me the most.

I use a Fitbit and it does not count extra steps for just moving my arm when I'm doing other things. but I do have mine set so it says it's on my dominant hand... which I think helps?
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am at about 18K a day. I am on my feet most of the day at work - I teach 3rd grade, so I am walking around the room a lot.

I do a short mile walk before work and then I do about 2 miles on the treadmill at night.