Do You Drink Cows Milk?

Options

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    people whining about how "bad" it is that I eat...oh goodness...animals.

ya, why so defensive?

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
    --Pythagoras (philosopher and mathematician)

If you think I was defensive, then you totally missed the point. Still SMH.

My whole point was I get tired of seeing all the articles out there that use fear to try to persuade others to eat the way they do.

I hope you don't have Parkinson's with all the SYH goin on..lol :bigsmile:

OMG THAT IS THE LEAST FUNNY THING YOU COULD HAVE POSSIBLY SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am trying to be nice right now...and since you didn't know...

My Dad has advanced Parkinson's Disease and it has torn the heart strings of everyone in my family including me. To see this man that taught me calculus in 11th grade be brought down someone having trouble pronouncing words...to see this man that played baseball with me when I was a kid have to pushed in a wheelchair by a nurse...to see him decline in health from normal, healthy, muscular to a person that we hardly recognize as the same man in less than 6 years...to have to be walked down the aisle by my brother last month because my dad was in the ER fighting for his life...

But since you didn't know I will forgive you, leave this thread forever, and simply go cry for a while.

Sorry to hear that, I was just poking a bit of levity into the situation but clearly it backfired. :bigsmile:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink cows milk - I do it in good conscience and I enjoy it. I'd call this article semi-scientific at best and will support any and all who accuse it of fear-mongering.

Man has been drinking cows milk ever since the cow was domesticated and I do not one second believe hat it poses any more danger to me than any other thing I ingest.

With that said I do go for the milk I can find that is closes to it's natural state - which is easy living in a country with a long tradition for farming in general and dairy production in particular.

And please don't tell me about the wonders of soy and almond milk - it doesn't just magically transform into milk and jump into a carton - it is processed just like pretty much any food available in industrial packaging today.

You can make your own almond milk actually!
    http://www.ohnuts.com/blog/2011/03/how_to_make_almond_milk_recipe_1.html
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes - and you can grow your own almonds.......and you can have a cow at home and milk it yourself......but how many do actually do this?
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yes and I thoroughly enjoy it.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of conclusive research that now goes back for decades about the dangers of consuming excessive amounts of cow's milk. After reading both sides of the issue, I decided to give up all milk products on June 12th of this year. The protein in milk has been shown to increase the growth rate of cancer tumors in several types of cancer (breast, pancreatic, prostate and others). That is essentially because cow's milk is intended to grow a baby calf from birth to large weaned youngster in a very short period of time. Humans are designed to grow slower.

I would encourage anyone to do further research on this matter, on both sides of the issue. Most of us are already familiar with the basic claims about milk and how it does a body good (osteoporosis and hip fractures are highest in the populations that consume the most cow's milk). But these claims are promoted by an industry that's in the business to make a profit, not protect your health. One good book that covers the subject in extensive detail is "The China Study". If you don't feel like delving into volumes of research and evidence, watch the documentary, "Forks Over Knives", just released on DVD this week. I wish I had known this information earlier.
  • anjoweena
    Options
    people whining about how "bad" it is that I eat...oh goodness...animals.

ya, why so defensive?

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
    --Pythagoras (philosopher and mathematician)

If you think I was defensive, then you totally missed the point. Still SMH.

My whole point was I get tired of seeing all the articles out there that use fear to try to persuade others to eat the way they do.

if you're tired of the articles I'd recommend not going to a thread based on one.
  • change_happens
    Options
    "All cows release toxins through their milk, as milk is a natural exit-portal for substances that the body cannot use."

^^^ Um, no. That's what the kidneys do. Milk is how mammals feed their babies. It's not a waste disposal system. That makes no damn sense...

Human milk is used in experiments to test for levels of environmental pollutants for exactly this reason.

However, the article says NOTHING about milk being bad for you, only the, errrm, 'added extras'. I drink organic skimmed milk and can honestly say I prefer the taste... Maybe this article explains why!

Hub just ventured out and bought some organic milk. This is one reason why i was reading about it. Does your milk have that cream on top of it? He bought 2 percent and it had a plug of cream on it. I went online and some folks say that they just take it and spread it on a biscuit or a scone. Just interesting stuff... especially when you are transitioning from one thing to the next.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I LOVE milk. When I was a kid, I used to love to visit my grandmother's house. She had her milk delivered. And it was sooooooooo goooooooood!
  • change_happens
    Options
    There is a lot of conclusive research that now goes back for decades about the dangers of consuming excessive amounts of cow's milk. After reading both sides of the issue, I decided to give up all milk products on June 12th of this year. The protein in milk has been shown to increase the growth rate of cancer tumors in several types of cancer (breast, pancreatic, prostate and others). That is essentially because cow's milk is intended to grow a baby calf from birth to large weaned youngster in a very short period of time. Humans are designed to grow slower.

I would encourage anyone to do further research on this matter, on both sides of the issue. Most of us are already familiar with the basic claims about milk and how it does a body good (osteoporosis and hip fractures are highest in the populations that consume the most cow's milk). But these claims are promoted by an industry that's in the business to make a profit, not protect your health. One good book that covers the subject in extensive detail is "The China Study". If you don't feel like delving into volumes of research and evidence, watch the documentary, "Forks Over Knives", just released on DVD this week. I wish I had known this information earlier.

I will definitely get this Vid.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't know what's going to kill me first...dairy, meat, artificial sweeteners, drinking, non-organic food, or sodium...
  • PassTheSalad
    Options
    From what I've heard no one gets out of here alive, so I'm gonna drink my milk and enjoy it. ;)
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Much of what is in that article is patently false.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Nope, almond.

I prefer not getting ill after having cereal, what can I say?
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Myths vs facts about dairy farming: (click on the tabs)

http://www.dairyfarmingtoday.org/Learn-More/MythsvsFacts/Pages/MythvsFact.aspx
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't know what's going to kill me first...dairy, meat, artificial sweeteners, drinking, non-organic food, or sodium...

My best bet would be abstaining from all of the food that is potentially dangerous would get you sooner than any of them ;-)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love cow's milk.

I don't mind the flavor of soy milk in cereal or a spiced chai latte occasionally.

I like almonds but I'm working on lowering my intake due to the pasteurization process - http://www.localharvest.org/newsletter/20070619/almonds.jsp

I agree with mowu, the stress of not eating the food I enjoy would be worse for me.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I quit cow's milk years ago because of my allergies... I always was snotty and congested, as a child and adult, and though I can't give up cream for my coffee ( organic of course ) I have had great results by reducing the amount of dairy in my diet.

I still love cheese and tend to binge on it, but really notice increased congestion the next day.

Also, my skin looks way better too :)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    "All cows release toxins through their milk, as milk is a natural exit-portal for substances that the body cannot use."

^^^ Um, no. That's what the kidneys do. Milk is how mammals feed their babies. It's not a waste disposal system. That makes no damn sense...

Human milk is used in experiments to test for levels of environmental pollutants for exactly this reason.

However, the article says NOTHING about milk being bad for you, only the, errrm, 'added extras'. I drink organic skimmed milk and can honestly say I prefer the taste... Maybe this article explains why!

Hub just ventured out and bought some organic milk. This is one reason why i was reading about it. Does your milk have that cream on top of it? He bought 2 percent and it had a plug of cream on it. I went online and some folks say that they just take it and spread it on a biscuit or a scone. Just interesting stuff... especially when you are transitioning from one thing to the next.

Our milk is homogenised (cream not on the top) unless there is a special offer on the cream-topped one.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Milk is designed to turn a calf in to a cow. I.E massively increase it's size so I tend to avoid it and cheese. I'm also a little icked out at drinking another species breast milk. Plus something like 15% of it can be puss from the sores they get from milking machines. Ick Ick Ick.

My son is dairy intolerant and has awful reactions to it so we don't often have it in the house.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Having personally witnesses what greed over financial gain has done to my industry, I do believe this article. The U.S. lax regulations over production of any food is disgusting. I personally dislike milk, and only purchase non U.S. cheese products or organic eggs.