Veggies a Day

Options
How many grams of veggies does everyone eat ? I'm currently doing 400 grams, wondering if I need more.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Depends on the day and on the vegetables, and what you define as vegetables. I aim for 80 grams of munching vegetables, and eat them with breakfast and lunch, and dinner too if I'm having something that doesn't naturally have a vegetable component, if it's salad greens, it's usually just 30-50 grams, if it's oven roasted brussel sprouts, I take half a bag, or 300 grams, if it's frozen peas or beans, 100 grams, if it's parsnip, I eat one big or two small, if potatoes, I weigh out 275-300 grams if I peel them after, or 250-275 if peel on, if it's sweet potato, I usually eat one half and the other half next week. When I use more than one vegetable in one meal, it adds up quickly.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    anywhere between 200g and 800g depending on the menu for the day.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I need to pay attention to this now LOL
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Currently 1300g vegies plus 100g fruit....i could eat more, I have to limit myself!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my vegies and can eat over 1 kg in a day. Today was a lighter day of around 800 grams. In saying that 400 gms should be enough to meet nutritional needs provided that you have a good variety of colours in there.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So long as I am not missing nutrients from my diet, why do I need to pay attention to this? I eat fruits and vegetables, along with lean meats, healthy fats and oils and whole grains. It all collectively fits into my caloric targets and goals for the day/week. Done.

How many grams of vegetables I eat is irrelevant. I think the broader question is, are you eating vegetables?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of vegetables, but I don't have a goal for weight. My goal is to meet my nutritional needs and as different vegetables have different macro- and micronutrients, there is no set amount that will do that.
  • juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What kind of munching veggies do you eat? And do you have any condiments that you like to share? I want to eat more, and I currently eat carrots, grape tomatoes and snap peas. But they can get kinda boring and I'm looking for some variety. Thanks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My lunch salad is over a pound of just vegetables. And then there's dinner and snacks.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I like big salads for dinner, so I eat probably a kg most days, but I don't think that's necessary for health or weight loss. It's just the way I like to eat.
    What kind of munching veggies do you eat? And do you have any condiments that you like to share? I want to eat more, and I currently eat carrots, grape tomatoes and snap peas. But they can get kinda boring and I'm looking for some variety. Thanks.

For raw snacks, I like bell peppers, mini cucumbers, broccoli (we just buy the pre-cut florets since we're lazy), kohlrabi, and cauliflower (ditto with the florets) as well as shelled peas. I usually just eat them plain, but lately I've been buying single-serving packages of hummus and that's been a really tasty snack too. I also sometimes just dip them in Franks Red Hot for the vinegar-y flavour.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Some days I eat a salad as big as my head and others I eat practically none. I don't track it because I don't need to. I don't believe I need certain nutrients daily so as long as I have a decent intake weekly I don't think about it.

Plenty of people live long and fairly healthy lives without tracking this stuff. Just because we have a software tool that helps us do it doesn't mean we should unless there is a medical reason.

ETA: However, if it is fun for you or you get something out of it, it is not wrong for you. You do you. I will do me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I munch on carrots too, I'm slightly intolerant to raw snap peas but they are delicious so I get a small bag and divide it over several days - then there's cucumbers, broccoli, romanesco when I can get my hands on it, kohlrabi, rutabaga, and beets, not just the bloody red ones, there are polka striped and white and yellow varieties too, although more expensive. I don't use any condiments on the aforementioned, but usually some kind olive oil based dressing on salad, unless I eat it with another fat source, like meat, fish, nuts, cheese or butter.
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think I'm generally in the 800-1,000 grams a day range.

This is fairly representative of a day of vegetables and fruit for me:
    200g zucchini/yellow squash
    150g broccoli
    150g cauliflower
    150g carrots
    100g apple
    85g cabbage
    70g pumpkin
    30g clementines
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options

I like sweet veggies so I tend to go for red/orange bell peppers, jicama, beets, that kind of thing. Also mushrooms. And I LOVE to snack on cold lightly steamed broccoli and cauliflower, which I can even get frozen in microwave steamable bags for maximum convenience, then just toss in the fridge after steaming and have ready whenever I want.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh or measure veggies, but I eat at least a cup or some type of veggie with practically every meal.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I also do not weigh fruit and veggies but measure by volume. I generally get 4-6 half cup servings of fruit and 3-4 half cup servings of veggies per day.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I haven't been keeping track of this. I know I need to eat more veggies though. I like veggies but I dont always eat them. Most days I have a salad which is 2 servings and then I may or may not have another serving. I eat 2 fruits per day on average.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77

But isn't the fact that science hadn't discovered certain things until recently indicative of how we don't really need to worry about them that much?

I don't dispute the need for vegetables but I have to wonder what happens if I only eat half of the bare minimum recommended amount (1400) each week for let us say 6 months? Does it become a quantifiable problem? What does eating the UK amount, 5600, achieve that 2800 does not? This does not include the weight loss benefits of being more filling obviously for less calories obviously.