How to get protein

Options
emmies_123
emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
After a few weeks of logging my meals I have been consistently unable to hit the protein macro, usually under by 20-40 points! I am trying to build some strength in my upper body, although I'm not doing a lifting workout.

How do I get more protein in my diet without hating my diet changes:
-I have a nut allergy, so almonds/walnuts/etc is a no go
-I hate the taste of eggs. Trying to build a tolerance to taste but it is slow going.
-I'm strongly lactose intolerant, so no greek yogurt or soft cheeses. Can have lactose-free dairy products or hard cheeses, but then i'm adding a lot of calories too...
-Not a fan of texture when eating beans. If recipe could mask texture I would likely eat more beans.

I have increased my meat intake over the last week, introducing meat into my lunch and breakfast. Sadly still falling way short of macro, and I don't think I can add much more meat without getting sick of it.

Also concerned about going over calorie count just trying to get to protein macro.

Any advice welcome =)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're not a fan of more meat and beans aren't an option, have you considered tofu, tempeh, and seitan? There are also protein powders and bars -- there are a huge variety of options available here from plant-based ones like soy, rice, hemp, or pea or animal product-based ones. You can also check out soy-based yogurts -- they're higher protein than other plant-based options.

I'd also experiment with different types of beans/recipes to see if the texture issue is always a problem. My husband hates most beans due to texture, but he's fine when they're blended. Red lentils, when cooked, tend to "melt" and the texture is very different. If you include them in a tomato sauce, you're getting a huge protein boost to the meal.

Another thing to check out are higher protein pastas (like black bean or chickpea). Pasta alone won't meet your protein needs, but they could be a nice boost.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I am using FitMiss Delight Monday - Friday as my afternoon snack at work.
    I picked it because it has 16g of protein and 90 calories in 1 scoop.

I'm not expecting it to work wonders or anything, I just wanted to up my protein intake and curb my afternoon appetite so I don't go snack crazy before dinner.

I really like it so far. I got the chocolate flavor, so it helps with my sweet tooth a bit as well!
  • emmies_123
    Options
    I like meat, but not much more than i currently have:

Introduced Sausage to breakfast
    Introduced turkey breast sandwich to lunch time. Usually have pasta, which gave me protein but not as much

For dinner I have variety depending on day. Chicken, tilapia, pork chop, or steak (if hubby is making it). Usually have a potato product as a side...

I may have to look into protein powders, although i'm worried that would give me too much in a dose...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Fish and seafood? Grains also have some protein. Have you changed the macro settings, btw?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    I may have to look into protein powders, although i'm worried that would give me too much in a dose...

It wont... but you can measure exactly how much powder you have, so it's entirely under your control.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    After a few weeks of logging my meals I have been consistently unable to hit the protein macro, usually under by 20-40 points! I am trying to build some strength in my upper body, although I'm not doing a lifting workout.

How do I get more protein in my diet without hating my diet changes:
    -I have a nut allergy, so almonds/walnuts/etc is a no go
    -I hate the taste of eggs. Trying to build a tolerance to taste but it is slow going.
    -I'm strongly lactose intolerant, so no greek yogurt or soft cheeses. Can have lactose-free dairy products or hard cheeses, but then i'm adding a lot of calories too...
    -Not a fan of texture when eating beans. If recipe could mask texture I would likely eat more beans.

I have increased my meat intake over the last week, introducing meat into my lunch and breakfast. Sadly still falling way short of macro, and I don't think I can add much more meat without getting sick of it.

Also concerned about going over calorie count just trying to get to protein macro.

Any advice welcome =)

I drink it in my home made smoothies.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I like meat, but not much more than i currently have:

Introduced Sausage to breakfast
    Introduced turkey breast sandwich to lunch time. Usually have pasta, which gave me protein but not as much

For dinner I have variety depending on day. Chicken, tilapia, pork chop, or steak (if hubby is making it). Usually have a potato product as a side...

You can have as much as you want. If you don't want a whole serving, you can have less than that.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Salmon? Protein powder?
  • emmies_123
    Options
    Fish and seafood? Grains also have some protein. Have you changed the macro settings, btw?

I have not changed the macro since it was originally calculated by MFP based on body measurements and goal weight.
    Kandisn29 wrote: »
    Salmon? Protein powder?

Halo top - lactose free version is not sold within shopping distance
    Milk - I do sometimes have lactose-free milk (store brand) but this eats up a lot of calories in daily budget and trying to get more food than liquid calories so I can avoid hunger and snacking.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I have not changed the macro since it was originally calculated by MFP based on body measurements and goal weight.
    Kandisn29 wrote: »
    Salmon? Protein powder?

Halo top - lactose free version is not sold within shopping distance
    Milk - I do sometimes have lactose-free milk (store brand) but this eats up a lot of calories in daily budget and trying to get more food than liquid calories so I can avoid hunger and snacking.

MFP is low for protein, how many cals are you eating?

Have you tried prelogging to see how big your portions would need to be to hit your protein goal?
  • emmies_123
    Options

I have, thank you =) Sadly the issue I have with most of that chart is my need to balance calories with protein amounts with food intolerances.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    hard boiled eggs, boneless skinless chicken breast, Turkey, Lean Steak (new York strip) are pretty efficient protein adders. Meaning high protein for the calorie count. I would ditch the sausage.

Edit : Noticed you don't like eggs. Have you tried chick peas? I know some people who can't handle beans and lentils but can handle those. Also, one of my fav protein snack is Sardines.
  • fish9283
    fish9283 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and tofu do not have much flavor, so you can add almost any seasoning that you like, or mix them into other foods.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options

For beans - chickpeas have some good recipes that hide the texture significantly.
    Socca bread is a french flat bread that basically just has chickpeas, water, salt, and oil. Has a bready texture. USually it is made with chickpea flour, but I just use soaked chickpeas and blend up really fine with a little water to make the batter. Many recipes can be found for this online.

homemade Falafel - love this beyond words. It has a texture kind of like a slightly more crumbly hushpuppy - fried on the outside, soft and bready on the inside. Calories, though - it's a bit high, but very filling. I think there are baked falafel recipes that might help with the calorie issues, though, as there is no oil in the falafel themselves, but only chickpeas, onion, parsley, and salt. Some recipes add a teeny bit of starch or flour.

I have seen raw oats added to smoothies and blended up that might be a good addition of some protein.

Quinoa and amaranth are actually full proteins, so you could add some to smoothies or use instead of rice and you would be getting carbs and protein all in one go, cut down on the additional calories you would otherwise need when added partial proteins that needs to be paired with something.

I know there is soy protein powder or vanilla soy powder that you can add to smoothies - maybe you could make some other beans, then dry and grind them up for the same purpose, too?

sunflower butter or hemp butter - i believe some brands have nut or peanut free facilities, so maybe that would be a good protein source? I think some of the seed butters have like 1 serving of protein for just a couple Tb of the seed butter.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Split pea soup is incredibly high in protein and it's blended smooth so texture shouldn't be an issue. Fat free refried beans? Hummus? Also cooked from scratch beans have a much better texture than canned ones, maybe try experimenting with some dried beans?

I like to cook my oatmeal with soy milk so I get the extra protein plus I get something to chew. You might try a can of lentil soup and see how you feel about lentils. Personally I love them and they are adaptable to all kinds of seasoning.

And I second tofu. It's never been popular in this country but it's super easy, high protein, and delicious if it's cooked and seasoned well. I like to bake it so it gets more texture and then toss it with various sauces. You can also blend it into smoothies and it's significantly cheaper than protein powder, if cost is at all an issue for you.
  • Jrodasff
    Jrodasff Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Split pea soup is incredibly high in protein and it's blended smooth so texture shouldn't be an issue. Fat free refried beans? Hummus? Also cooked from scratch beans have a much better texture than canned ones, maybe try experimenting with some dried beans?

I like to cook my oatmeal with soy milk so I get the extra protein plus I get something to chew. You might try a can of lentil soup and see how you feel about lentils. Personally I love them and they are adaptable to all kinds of seasoning.

And I second tofu. It's never been popular in this country but it's super easy, high protein, and delicious if it's cooked and seasoned well. I like to bake it so it gets more texture and then toss it with various sauces. You can also blend it into smoothies and it's significantly cheaper than protein powder, if cost is at all an issue for you.

Tofu is indeed significantly cheaper than protein powder if you are looking at price per pound. However, since the first ingredient in tofu is water, and protein powder has no water, a more valid metric is price per gram of protein. I'll use Nasoya Silken Tofu as an example, as this comes in a one pound package and is on sale near me for $2.69 per pound. The whole package only provides 20 grams of protein, so $0.13 per gram.

My protein powder, which is on the pricey side because the cows are grass fed, has thirty 20 gram servings of protein for $30, so $0.05 per gram. It's also 90 calories per 20 grams of protein, compared to Nasoya's 225 calories per 20 grams of protein.

(Feel free to redo the math with whatever type and brand of tofu you like. Firm tofu does have less water, so more protein per serving, but it also comes in smaller packages and has more calories per serving. Nasoya's Organic Firm would come to $0.07 per gram of protein if it were also $2.69 per package, so still more expensive than my pricey protein powder.)

http://www.nasoya.com/healthy-tofu-products/

ps - I can't consider anything that provides 4-8 g of protein per serving to be "high protein." This might be high protein for a plant based diet, but certainly not if one is an omnivore.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Black bean quesadillas are good at masking bean texture. You just smash those bad boys up, add cheese/sour cream/whatever you want, mix it all together and make it into a quesadilla.

Protein powder/shakes that are lactose free, I add a little to my coffee in the morning to start my day off with a bigger protein boost.

Protein Bars- the best tasting, closest to a real chocolate bar I have found are power crunch bar, and let me tell you those things are delicious!

They have bread that has added protein as well, I can't remember what the brands are.

Meat, meat, meat- I eat a lot of chicken, turkey sausage, turkey meatballs etc.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Tofu is indeed significantly cheaper than protein powder if you are looking at price per pound. However, since the first ingredient in tofu is water, and protein powder has no water, a more valid metric is price per gram of protein. I'll use Nasoya Silken Tofu as an example, as this comes in a one pound package and is on sale near me for $2.69 per pound. The whole package only provides 20 grams of protein, so $0.13 per gram.

My protein powder, which is on the pricey side because the cows are grass fed, has thirty 20 gram servings of protein for $30, so $0.05 per gram. It's also 90 calories per 20 grams of protein, compared to Nasoya's 225 calories per 20 grams of protein.

(Feel free to redo the math with whatever type and brand of tofu you like. Firm tofu does have less water, so more protein per serving, but it also comes in smaller packages and has more calories per serving. Nasoya's Organic Firm would come to $0.07 per gram of protein if it were also $2.69 per package, so still more expensive than my pricey protein powder.)

http://www.nasoya.com/healthy-tofu-products/

ps - I can't consider anything that provides 4-8 g of protein per serving to be "high protein." This might be high protein for a plant based diet, but certainly not if one is an omnivore.

Fair enough. I don't pay nearly for tofu what you do, though. I use Nasoya which i $1.49 at WalMart and I frequently get it on sale at Sprouts for 99 cents per 14 oz. In fact, it's on sale there this week if anyone wants to dip their toe in the tofu waters.