I'm screwed.

Options
NorahsDaddy
NorahsDaddy Posts: 2 Member
How's that for an opening.

Just got back from my homeopath and she highly recommended this site. To make a long story short, I've been battling obesity for quite some time and I'm on the brink of just throwing my arms in the air and saying, to hell with it. I'm a fat slob.

I know psychology plays a huge role in my lack of success. It's not like I haven't been trying though.

I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs and recently became a vegetarian. And next to nothing to show for it.

Sorry about the whining. Hope things are better with those who read this.

Laugh later.

Randy

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's not the alcohol, smoking, drugs, or meat that causes weight gain, it's the number of calories that you eat. What will create weight loss is a calorie deficit. Put your stats and goals into MFP, get a calorie goal, log accurately, and consistently hit that goal.

This.

• pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Psychology can be overcome and at 63 it's not too late! You can do it! Add me if you want a friend :D
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Us old folks can get fit, too! It's never too late. Some of the older people on this site are some of the fittest!

I look at it like this - now that I'm older and my kids are grown I can spend more time working on myself, my fitness, all the things that I like to do. Being more physically fit gives me the energy to have fun with the grandkids, travel and basically just get more out of life. You can "wind down" and sit in your recliner and watch TV or you can "ramp up" go out there and enjoy life!

The fact that you see a homeopath shows that you believe in natural solutions. Getting fit is within your power!

Just adding.. hardest lesson I had to learn was that yes, getting fit/healthy does feel selfish...(it did for me) BUT... not if you think of it as something you are not just doing for you, but for your family as well, setting an example, establishing some boundaries (those are good things), as well as ensuring you are around alot longer and don't miss anything they are doing in the future!
    I plan on living as long as possible, in as healthy a body as I can, so I can bug them for a very long time. LOL.

You are in the right place now... one little step at a time is a very good thing!

Welcome!

• blnetsova
    blnetsova Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Fellow Veg here. I find myself being a carb-etarian more often than a vegetarian. Working on changing that mindset. Feel free to add me if you like; I know the struggle. Been overweight my whole life.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    keep it simple :smile:
    get a scale and weigh your food
    log your food
    stay in your calorie allotment
    exercise is not necessary to lose weight. but it does give a few more calories to eat a day which is nice.
    read all the stickies on the forums
    remember it took time to get here and it will take time to lose weight
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Randy, please do not give up! You are NOT screwed, and it is most certainly NOT too late! The only time it's too late to do anything is when you're dead. You are not dead, so you still have hope. You can still do this! I have been obese for most of my life, I have lost 124 pounds and when I say that losing weight is definitely possible, I'm speaking from experience. Losing weight is hard, but not impossible. It CAN be done, and once that ball gets rolling, you will be so glad you decided to stick with it!