Home gym vs. public gym

Options
This is an interesting topic I thought we could discuss, in particular for those bodybuilding (either competitive or recreational).

How many of you lift only at home and have found success that way? Do you think your results would be better if you joined a public gym? What kind of equipment do you have?

For those that have transitioned to a public gym or do both, what are the pros (or cons) in terms of adherence, results, progress?

I workout at home. I don't compete but I run bulk/cut cycles for fun. I have some equipment (barbell, plates, dumbbells, kettlebells, cable machine, TRX etc), but I am lacking a squat rack or even stands (which might be purchased in the future depending on if we move or not). Sometimes I think I could have made way more progress at a pubic gym, but I LOVE working out at home and I am definitely not the public gym kind of person.

What do you all think of bodybuilding in home gyms, has anyone had success even with limited equipment? Do you think it's not as optimal? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    For religious reasons, there are ways I can't dress if there are men around. (Basically, I need to keep my hair covered, necklines over the collarbone, sleeves past the elbow and fitted so they won't ride up/fall back if I lift my arms, skirts past the knee. Also, nothing too form-fitting. If it's women only, it's not an issue). I used to belong to a women's-only gym, but even there, maintenance work was done during business hours, usually by men.

Since my fitness goals right now are just to preserve muscle while losing weight, and since I'm not close enough to a women's gym to convince myself I'd actually go to one if I joined it, I work out in my basement.

At present, I have dumbbells ranging from 3 to 20lbs, resistance tubes and bands, a cardio step, a mat, a stability ball, an adjustable ankle weight to 20lbs, a couple of medicine balls, and a fitness glider.

Some successes I've noticed:
    • Improved muscle definition in shoulders and legs
    • Increased strength
    • Immediately following bladder surgery, I was able to sit up in recovery without having the bed cranked up. The nurse complimented me on my trunk muscles. Apparently, sitting up after surgery isn't always easy.
    • I can also chalk this up to long walks, but apparently, I've got the heart of an athlete (RHR 56 bpm). In recovery it dropped to 39 and I heard the nurse tell the on-call cardiologist that I was asymptomatic, but should probably be looked it. Before he even came over, he asked "Is she a runner?" I'm not, but I usually walk about 10K daily, give or take. Apparently, that's enough.

this is too cute - well done - my doctor always tests me by
    #1 grabbing right above my ankle to test my muscle mass
    #2 having me get straight up off the table w no help (from a laying flat position)

good work...keep it up.

edit to add - I use the public gym the home gym and the apartments gym. lol

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Amazing @estherdragonbat ...thanks for sharing! Sounds like what you are doing is definitely working well for you, keep up the great work :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a home gym. As far as optimal, I think its all individual. I think I progress well enough, the only wheels I have spun were my first two bulks, major learning experiences for future ones for sure.

I tell my husband that I work out like a convict in the yard. Surely if they can build muscle so can I, so that's kinda where and I feel about working out home. Its quiet, no distractions and I think I focus better.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a power cage in my basement. Without it, I wouldn't think I could get as good of a workout as I could at a gym, but with it, I think I am good. I also have an Olympic bar, adjustable dumbells and and adjustable bench.

I have the Titian T-3 short.
    https://www.titan.fitness/titan-t-3-series-short-power-rack.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInbmLjvSw2wIVQluGCh3Mdgq8EAQYAiABEgLW2vD_BwE
  • BosFitlife
    BosFitlife Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I really want to invest in a home gym, doing math, I pay average of $110 per month for gym membership (my whole family so 3 people) and it has been an year, so if I convert my garage into a home gym, pay monthly 100/mo I can probably have a decent set up and after 5 years it's all mine. but then again workout at public gyms is motivation you meet people who's going for the same goals as you, trying to better themselves which kinda makes me work harder to get mine, lol.
    Such tough decisions...plus in a home gym if I were to move one day, it's going to be a pain in the butt to get all that moved to a new place, long term thoughts there.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Home gym for me. Being around other people distracts me too much and I tend to talk myself out of going because of it. I have weights at home and do resistance and body weight training for definition.

Honestly, with the money I save not going to the gym I can invest over time in weights and equipment as needed. I do a lot of HIIT routines first thing in the morning before work. Also, I have a kiddo so that’s more motivation to get things done at home and cut down on child care needs.

When I need to really focus on my legs I may go to a gym for heavier weights. Not there yet because those bodyweight routines still kick my butt.
  • NoMoSlackin
    NoMoSlackin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of both. I have a gym at home, recently got a power cage, but now I need to convert from standard 1" bars to olys because my lifts are getting too heavy. I am running out of plates at home and need to buy more, but it's all costly.

I go to a powerlifting class at a gym weekly / bi-weekly for pointers, form correction, and comraderie.

If I had more time and money, and a schedule that worked, I'd use the gym because of unlimited weights, power racks, and Oly equipment... Plus if I do get hurt, it's not alone in my basement.

But... For now... I make it work.
  • Bellavita31
    Bellavita31 Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Girl you know all about my dungeon .. I love working out from home but same as you I lack the squat rack..
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have access to one of the best powerlifting gyms in the metro Milwaukee area (Midwest Power Gym), where all the equipment you train with is what you would test with on the platform (Texas Combo Racks) and all the weights are IPF approved and calibrated in kilos.

45e644uhtr0g.jpeg

I also have a (300 square foot) basement gym (Giant Robot), where the equipment is not platform standard and the weights are pounds and not calibrated.

dphvq8sqrpyg.jpg

Both gyms are limited in equipment, and have about the same things. Barbells, plates, collars, and a cable machine for accessories.

I still make gains between both gyms, however at the first gym I get to train with other smarter, stronger, powerlifters and not only does it become like a team effort, I learn something every time I session with another athlete. We coach each other up. You can't beat the support and the friendship is invaluable, and that support can really come in handy when you step up on the platform.

After all, your program should guide you -- the gym just needs the bare minims to meet the demands of your programming.

Bottom is what I envision for my home gym..nice setup!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    BNY721 wrote: »
    I have access to one of the best powerlifting gyms in the metro Milwaukee area (Midwest Power Gym), where all the equipment you train with is what you would test with on the platform (Texas Combo Racks) and all the weights are IPF approved and calibrated in kilos.

45e644uhtr0g.jpeg

I also have a (300 square foot) basement gym (Giant Robot), where the equipment is not platform standard and the weights are pounds and not calibrated.

dphvq8sqrpyg.jpg

Both gyms are limited in equipment, and have about the same things. Barbells, plates, collars, and a cable machine for accessories.

I still make gains between both gyms, however at the first gym I get to train with other smarter, stronger, powerlifters and not only does it become like a team effort, I learn something every time I session with another athlete. We coach each other up. You can't beat the support and the friendship is invaluable, and that support can really come in handy when you step up on the platform.

After all, your program should guide you -- the gym just needs the bare minims to meet the demands of your programming.

Bottom is what I envision for my home gym..nice setup!

Why thanks! I built many of the components myself, like the platforms and the chalk bowl. Some of the components I manage to scrounge for free, like the rubber flooring and the cable machine (not pictured). I got my large dry erase board and large cork bulletin board from Sports Authorities dumpster after they went out of business. And other things people have given to me which I have traded up for better equipment. Some things I did buy — because a cheap barbell sucks — but they were worth the investment.

If you have any questions putting a home gym together, give me a shout — happy to help.
  • BosFitlife
    BosFitlife Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Love the basement gym setup! So sick
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Really interesting to see what works for everyone.
    Holy smokes @giantrobot_powerlifting your gym is amazing, hopefully we can upgrade ours in the future to look half as good as that!

@RoxieDawn wow I didn't know you workout at home. Your progress is unbelievable and that gives me hope :) . It is definitely different for everyone for sure. I just need more equipment... but I think my lack of equipment has also caused me to be more creative, doing different types of squats and sometimes strange variations of other things I wouldn't do otherwise.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Holy smokes @giantrobot_powerlifting your gym is amazing, hopefully we can upgrade ours in the future to look half as good as that!
    Thank you Stef.... but what I’ve seen of yours on IG, your basement gym area is pretty BA too.

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. I know if I had to get ready and go to the gym, I'd never go. At home I can get straight on with it whenever it suits me.
    I do feel I'd have access to better equipment at a gym and have also injured myself badly where a spotter would have probably helped me to avoid that. But working out at home has got me off my backside at the age of 60 (I'm 62 now), having never lifted before so yay me!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. Really interesting to see what works for everyone.

@RoxieDawn wow I didn't know you workout at home. Your progress is unbelievable and that gives me hope :) . It is definitely different for everyone for sure. I just need more equipment... but I think my lack of equipment has also caused me to be more creative, doing different types of squats and sometimes strange variations of other things I wouldn't do otherwise.

I started with the only weights I had, a set of 5 dbs. Seriously. :D

I've got basic stuff, bench, bar/plates, squat stands, EZ bar/straight bar (three total bars) and sets of dbs up to 55 pounds, hubs didn't like adjustable. And a pullup bar and couple kettlebells. I got a leg press a few months ago.

With programming ideal to use my equipment it works out well I think.

Ps You are doing quite well girl, your at home results are amazing. <3
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I like to lift in my pajamas without shoes, or even a bra. Can't do that at a gym.