Keto or no keto?

Options

Replies

• caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love keto. Might not work for everybody but it works for me. I have lost 75 lbs. I have always had so much inflammation- it’s gone. My knees don’t hurt anymore. I can eat the same foods over and over so this is easy for me. When you go out and eat you are very limited. It’s either order a breakfast or bacon cheeseburger no bun. Egg on top. After you make it past the first week it gets easier.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you wish to get deep into keto debating please see this thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10671102/keto-or-no-keto/p1?new=1

Anyone have any tips for including more fat in their diet since that was the second part of the op?

I know including more oil, butter, and full fat dairy are easy ways to get more fat without increasing carbs too much.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10671102/keto-or-no-keto/p1?new=1

Anyone have any tips for including more fat in their diet since that was the second part of the op?

I know including more oil, butter, and full fat dairy are easy ways to get more fat without increasing carbs too much.

Avocado (though, carbs), fatty fish and cuts of meat like bacon, pork, and beef.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Plenty of suggestions here in the "Need Fat" section:

5qov70iu5r4n.jpg
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Plenty of suggestions here in the "Need Fat" section:

5qov70iu5r4n.jpg

OMG this is awesome!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There is a middle ground here. It's not strict Keto or nothing! You can try low carb, keep your carbs at around 100g and tweak up or down from there.

I had the same positive experience keeping my carbs capped at 100g than i did when i kept them at keto levels
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I see this thread has devolved into a my-diet-is-better-than-all-diets debate, not going to contribute to *that*. I'll just throw in my advice, which is if you think the keto WOE (way of eating) could suit you, give it a whirl. If it turns out to not please you, there are tons of other ways to feed yourself. You may have experiment a little to figure out what works for you. Just please don't give up if you can't stick to a given WOE. They all work, because they all create a calorie deficit; it's just finding the right way for you to create a calorie deficit that is in question.

Also, whatever you do, get more active, even if it's just walking. For me, having a workout plan in place prevents a lot of the random boredom eating that I used to do throughout the day, because I choose to work out during the time when I'm prone to the munchies. And it creates a little cushion for dessert, too. <3
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Tons of great info in this thread. From explaining the different diets and exactly what one is doing on them short and concise and to the point. And then the fat chart. How very cool. This one has the big yellow star for me. So much info in one place woo!
  • dignow96
    dignow96 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I’ve been keto for a few months now on a 75/20/5 fat/protein/carb split. I’ve been successfully hitting within a gram (+ or -) of my daily protein and carb goals but routinely have to figure out how to get extra fat in every night to round out my macros. I’ve found that I make a lot of ‘bowl’ dinners where I’ll sauté my meat and veggies in butter/MCT oil/bacon fat and then add in heavy cream and cheese to make a sauce. It’s usually ridiculously tasty and I’ve dropped about 4lbs a week for the last several months. Salad dressings, sautéing veggies in fats, fat bombs, MCT powder in drinks (I hate coffee so bulletproof coffee isn’t for me), desserts with cream and butter - all ways to get fats incorporated into your diet. It takes a while but I feel I’m getting better at hitting my macro goals now. As far as the efficacy of the ‘diet’ goes - you just have to give it a few weeks and see how it goes for you. Now I’m 6’7”, 44, and 273lbs (as of yesterday - was 332lbs in Feb of this year). I lift for 20-30 minutes 5 days a week and walk for 2 hours/10 miles daily. I’m eating 2250 calories a day and estimate my deficit to be up to 1000 calories. I also intermittently fast (between 7PM and 1PM) to help have larger meals and it makes planning/balancing macros easier. So is it keto? Intermittent fasting? Exercising regularly? A healthy calorie deficit? Yes to all would be my guess. Hope this helps with some of your original questions. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about my experiences with keto so far.