Am I not losing as much because i'm not eating enough?

Options

Replies

• mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I see an average of approximately 2lbs per week over 6 weeks. What do you see? Is it the uneven pace?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Avocados, Bacon, Olive Oil, MCT oil if you're really going for it.

I would substitute nuts for bacon if you’re going for healthy ones. Bacon might taste good but preserved meats aren’t exactly healthy.

Each to their own. Non GMO bacon isn't going to be that bad for you...much better than 99% of the soy based "healthy" options out there for sure.

What are you talking about? GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism and as far as I can tell is ONLY used to describe plants so far. I googled "GMO bacon" and nothing comes back other than a mention that it MIGHT be possible to genetically modify pigs and produce lower fat bacon. It doesn't exist today.

Do you mean uncured bacon? The main unhealthy part of bacon is all of the preservatives like nitrates that are in most bacon you buy today. You can buy uncured bacon which is much better, but I still don't know any experts that consider pork fat to be as healthy as plant fats like avocados/nuts/seeds. I would agree it isn't bad, just not as good as healthier fats.

Could this be a new term for animals eating GMO corn, or in this case, not eating it?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Avocados, Bacon, Olive Oil, MCT oil if you're really going for it.

I would substitute nuts for bacon if you’re going for healthy ones. Bacon might taste good but preserved meats aren’t exactly healthy.

Each to their own. Non GMO bacon isn't going to be that bad for you...much better than 99% of the soy based "healthy" options out there for sure.

What are you talking about? GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism and as far as I can tell is ONLY used to describe plants so far. I googled "GMO bacon" and nothing comes back other than a mention that it MIGHT be possible to genetically modify pigs and produce lower fat bacon. It doesn't exist today.

Do you mean uncured bacon? The main unhealthy part of bacon is all of the preservatives like nitrates that are in most bacon you buy today. You can buy uncured bacon which is much better, but I still don't know any experts that consider pork fat to be as healthy as plant fats like avocados/nuts/seeds. I would agree it isn't bad, just not as good as healthier fats.

Could this be a new term for animals eating GMO corn, or in this case, not eating it?

I wonder if that is the case. There is a brand of yogurt advertising that it is made with milk from cows that were not fed GMO. I don't know what their label looks like.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I can only respond based on my own experience. I started at 237 in July 2017. Initially I lost at 2 lbs. per week until I reached about 212 lbs. In that time I had also reinputted my stats at least 3 times into MFP. (Have you been doing that?? I hear that on the phone app you don't need to, but you do on the computer). You cannot continue to eat the same amount at 250 lbs. that you ate at 212 lbs. and expect to lose at the same rate. Your body needs much less.

By the time I got to 212 in order to lose 2 lbs. per week I was going to have to eat 1200 calories (or less because MFP will just stop at 1200 and will not show less). I tried that for four days and could not do it. So I tried 1.5 calories per week, but didn't like it so I just changed to 1 calorie per week, which I have been at since. I'm at 189 now, and okay with my progress. It is slower than I initially expected but I work at a job that I need to be alert and not crabby, so I am happy to eat 1550-1700 NET over the past 6-8 months to lose 1 lb. per week. Usually I'm eating 1800-2100 with exercise calories. A LOT better than eating 1200 calories and climbing the walls from hunger.

I think there is something about getting just over 200 lbs. for women, when it is difficult to lose at 2 lbs. per week because the deficit is too large (1000 calories) and there are no longer the fat stores to draw from.

I would recommend you 1) reinput your stats if you are on the computer. 2) change to 1-1.5 lbs. per week.
  • Grasschopper
    Grasschopper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I can only respond based on my own experience. I started at 237 in July 2017. Initially I lost at 2 lbs. per week until I reached about 212 lbs. In that time I had also reinputted my stats at least 3 times into MFP. (Have you been doing that?? I hear that on the phone app you don't need to, but you do on the computer). You cannot continue to eat the same amount at 250 lbs. that you ate at 212 lbs. and expect to lose at the same rate. Your body needs much less.

By the time I got to 212 in order to lose 2 lbs. per week I was going to have to eat 1200 calories (or less because MFP will just stop at 1200 and will not show less). I tried that for four days and could not do it. So I tried 1.5 calories per week, but didn't like it so I just changed to 1 calorie per week, which I have been at since. I'm at 189 now, and okay with my progress. It is slower than I initially expected but I work at a job that I need to be alert and not crabby, so I am happy to eat 1550-1700 NET over the past 6-8 months to lose 1 lb. per week. Usually I'm eating 1800-2100 with exercise calories. A LOT better than eating 1200 calories and climbing the walls from hunger.

I think there is something about getting just over 200 lbs. for women, when it is difficult to lose at 2 lbs. per week because the deficit is too large (1000 calories) and there are no longer the fat stores to draw from.

I would recommend you 1) reinput your stats if you are on the computer. 2) change to 1-1.5 lbs. per week.

Can you comment on "reinput your stats if you are on the computer."? I use both the web and my iPhone for MFP and when I go into the web based site I see my current weight (as weighed this am on Nokia Body+ that gets shared to my phone, updates MFP app there which must have updated the web version). Is this not making adjustments in caloric intake?