Hi I’m new here...looking for potato diet followers

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are determined and as long as you aren’t diabetic yet it should not have lasting harm. I’d be interested in a report after the two weeks are over.

I was once on a ten day medically supervised VLCD diet. It was so many bottles of Ensure daily. After a couple days my poor body gave up any appetite. Unless I got triggered by an advertisement. It was a simple endurance test and I just marked the days until it was over.

I was quite weak and I had to give up my waking.
  • norasuntich
    norasuntich Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ok, I’ll report back on day 15th. I hope you’re feeling better theses days. I don’t think I could ever do a liquid diet unless doctor ordered
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What's your plan for when you hit your goal weight?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Thanks kimny72. I’ll do that. The easy part is losing. The really hard part is maintaining.

So why not set yourself up for success now, by eating in a way that you'll enjoy sticking to long-term?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The Great Famine. Okie dokie
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Technically, what you're doing is the Potato Hack.
    https://potatohack.com/2016/03/13/potato-hacking-for-weight-loss-or-maintenance/

It's also called a Mono-Meal hack. I can tell that you have your heart really set on this. I am a former dieting refugee. When someone or something comes along and encourages you to immediately try a compensatory measure like a Potato Hack - to dial your food down to one item - at what point do you come back from the temporary fix and find your natural balance.

When we make the switch from eating all the things to dialed down, it works temporarily. Go back to normal portions with all of the food groups and the body can become confused. After a cycle of super restriction there will be rebound weight gain when you start eating normally again.

Any food hack takes gutting it out and white knuckling it with sheer willpower. When you return to your normal way of eating there will be more insulin excursions. Eventually the pancreas becomes less receptive to everything we do like a Potato Hack until everything you do no longer works.

Wild swings up and down with the blood sugar will not prevent T2. Type 2 Diabetes.

I respect your boundaries. If you've tried hacking your food before, did it change everything for you then?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A healthy diet is balanced and varied. Supplements will never be as good as real food. Healthy eating is easy when you aim to get in some food from each food group every day, and different foods from day to day, in the form of appealing, normal looking meals. Sure it’s boring but I season my potatoes using many different spices. For a healthy diet, you're looking to add as many different species as possible, not spices. This is exactly what you're looking for when you want to satisfy my hunger and give me a boost of energy. The faux energy you get from starting something new and exciting, like [insert fad diet name here], doesn't last.

What would be a good source of information? Start here: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

I don’t think it’s that unhealthy, to be honest. Potatoes have most of the nutrition we need. People have survived on them. People have subsisted on potatoes, yes. But you're not so poor that you can't afford a healthy diet?

A healthy attitude towards food means abandoning either - or. You need dietary fat, for hormones, skin, vitamin absorbsion, satiety, digestion, and taste and mouthfeel. This doesn't mean that starch is bad, it's a good and normal way to get carbs, and starchy foods often come with other nutrients as well as fiber, and they balance meals. I don’t particularly think eating hi protein is that great either for you but some folks swear by it. I agree with you there, but that doesn't mean you don't have to get enough protein.

You can plan to add veggies and limited fruit and perhaps beans lean protein almond milk nuts as much as you like, but I guarantee you, after two weeks, if you last that long, you'll be so fed up that the only thing you're inspired to do, is to eat anything, indiscriminately, and in bigger amounts than ever.

I had to chuckle at your mono diets. I don’t think I could do them. Then what do you call the potato diet?

Your body weight isn't static. It goes up and down, a couple of pounds, from day to day, depending on how much food is in your system, and how much water is bound up in your muscles. What you want, is a steady trend downwards, which takes months of eating a little less.

Every weigthloss diet seems to be working, initially, until it doesn't. If you don't get in proper nutrition, you will feel hungry. It's not hard to cook up a insane diet to give you a calorie deficit. The hard thing is to stick to it.

You just need to stay on this path if your goal is to prove that you "can't lose weight".

But it’s a choice. Yes, and an informed choice is a good choice. The benefit of this plan is freedom from making food choices. But it's not. You always have to make choices. That's your responsibility, and your privilege, as an adult in a society where an abundance of safe, nutritious, delicious foods, any food you can imagine, is available and accessible, and socially acceptable to eat, anywhere, 24/7. This is simple and easy to do, but then you acknowledge that you have to take your potatoes everywhere and that life gets in the way and you have parties, holidays etc. which makes it difficult.

As a side note. Plant based usually means, despite what it sounds like, "nothing but plant foods". You can have a healthy plant based diet, but it takes a lot of education and planning and commitment. Usually, you'd have to have a strong motivation, like animals' welfare, and then you're actually looking at veganism.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What's the point of doing something that's not sustainable?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    But it’s a choice. Yes, and an informed choice is a good choice. The benefit of this plan is freedom from making food choices. But it's not. You always have to make choices. That's your responsibility, and your privilege, as an adult in a society where an abundance of safe, nutritious, delicious foods, any food you can imagine, is available and accessible, and socially acceptable to eat, anywhere, 24/7. This is simple and easy to do, but then you acknowledge that you have to take your potatoes everywhere and that life gets in the way and you have parties, holidays etc. which makes it difficult.

Bolded for YES.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m not worried about muscles. I’m worried about diabetes and heart disease.

You do realize your heart is a muscular organ, right? You should be worried about losing muscle.
  • chrissietiny
    chrissietiny Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best. I am not sure this diet is good for you
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My husband did this. Potatoes for two weeks - no seasoning, just potatoes, but he included white, sweet, red, etc. A mono-diet for a short amount of time isn't a problem nutritionally. For the last 5 months he's been eating vegetables, rice and beans and has lost close to 80 pounds. He hasn't felt deprived. AND - he also did a lot of research, read everything available from the researchers (not just the celebrities who wrote about their success).

If you added a hard-boiled egg and tuna, or seasoning to your potatoes, you aren't doing the potato diet. But if you're seeing success - go for it!
  • norasuntich
    Options
    Thanks for sharing about your hubby,hoffman2300. Good for him and his weight loss. I know I’m not following the true potato diet/ hack. I’m just throwing in eggs and the occasional tuna packet and seasonings. I even found sugar free ketchup. So far I’ve lost 7 pounds in six days. This upcoming week should be a challenge. I’m going to a training course and luckily they have a microwave. Cold potatoes are the worst.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ok, I’ll report back on day 15th. I hope you’re feeling better theses days. I don’t think I could ever do a liquid diet unless doctor ordered

Oh, the discomfort was short lived. It was a few years ago. I would never do a liquid diet again either unless doctor ordered.

• norasuntich
    Options
    I forgot to mentioned I tried Slimfast with the shakes and snacks and a sensible meal. That made me feel sick. I also tried the ten day special k chaljenge which I lost six pounds in ten days. I just don’t think I’m cut out for those. I like solids lol.
  • norasuntich
    Options
    Well I’m here. I am logging food. And I need to get more familiar with it. I do see myself transitioning to something sustainable. I want to succeed. And I do enjoy the tatoes for now. Like I said they are very filling. Eating a salad always left me empty. Reading labels was a chore. I just need to figure out the right combinations of food.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Have you tried... combining foods, then?

I'll let you in on a little secret: I don't eat a lot of salads. I do eat a varied balanced diet with some staples, some treats, and plenty of veggies.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Why waste your time and energy when you could start a more sustainable diet today?

The choice isn't only eating salads or only eating potatoes. All or nothing thinking hasn't helped you in the past so why do you believe it will help now?
This discussion has been closed.