WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Options

Replies

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Fixed a pan of zucchini, beef kielbasa and potatoes. I did put the potatoes in the oven for a bit, tossed with parmesan cheese salt and pepper and some olive oil. My son ate it all. Healthy dinner! He had two medium zucchinis, 4 oz of sausage, and about 10 baby potatoes. Better than fast food yeah!
    I decided to eat a protein bar instead.
    Took some puzzle pages out of the newspapers for when I'm at the hospital. Husband stated he will stay with me, but it's definitely a role reversal going on. I can sense his apprehension. I will send him home before it's dark. He can call me before he goes to sleep, like I have done with him.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rye: Love your photos and explanations of aperture. :star:

Barbara: It is good to see you posting again. :smiley:

Rita: Congrats on your loss for May. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Heather & Okie: I wear a little lipstick a few times a year. Otherwise I am what I am. Many young teens love to put on makeup. I did a little eyelash darkener and lipstick back when, but not any more. Once in a while I put on a bit of lipstick. :ohwell: I'm much more likely to use sunscreen than makeup because it actually helps. :wink:

Rebecca: Your treats for your son look wonderful. It is good to hear that you are taking good care of yourself, too. Good luck with your procedure. (((HUGS))) Your salad is gorgeous. :star:

Dana: Your filly is beautiful and so are you. :star: Her coloring is similar to Arrow's.
    :smiley:

Wendy: I am interested in your efforts to improve your health. I think that when a person takes charge of her health it tends to improve. Thinking, studying and doing some self-experimentation are all great ideas. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I love the photo of your dog in the garden. She is so lucky to have you and Jake as her "parents." :heart:

DH is upstairs asleep and I'm still wide awake. I may find something to watch on TV or on YouTube.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

June 2018 Resolutions:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    May - How'd I do?
    ✔Drink my water
    ✔ Carbs 50g daily
    ✔Track my food
    ✖️30 active minutes daily
    ✖️Work on sleep

The good news is: I lost about 9 lbs. 8.8 to be exact.

• Water. I drink only coffee and water. I'm trying to drink less coffee and more water. I'm sure I'm drinking enough water.
    • Carbs. Limit to 50g carbs. I think I did well here. I made a more conscious effort and had very few binges.
    • Tracking daily. I didn't do as well as I thought. I only made 24 attempts to track and only fully tracked 9 days. But, I'm rebuilding this habit. I think it'll come.
    • Active 30 minutes daily. Nope. Not even close.
    • Sleep. I sure I'm getting enough sleep.7-8 hours. But my efforts to reset my body clock are lagging. I woke up before noon only 12 days. By 1pm another 13 days. And the latest was one day at 2pm. There are things I could do to improve my wake up time. Better sleep hygiene.

I'll keep the same goals for June but I think I'll swap out water for fiber. I noticed I'm not getting enough fiber.

Ginger in Texas
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Sunday -- Run to the beach and back on a decent winter's day. Then a short slow walk with my husband. And finally a bit of time on my trainer doing a Zwift thing.

Noon Run
    Distance -- 2.60km
    Elevation -- 21m
    Moving Time -- 18:33
    Elapsed Time -- 19:10
    Pace -- 7:08/km

Evening Ride - Zwift
    Distance --12.34km
    Elevation -- 88m
    Moving Time -- 33:04
    Elapsed Time -- 33:36

Avg | Max
    Speed 22.4km/h | 66.6km/h
    Heart Rate 138bpm | 165bpm
    Cadence 81 | 107
    Power 83W | 136W

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!

NYKaren
    - your new gym sounds great. And will give you something new to focus on - hope it helps you make it through the work stuff. I so don't miss that!! Retirement has brought new challenges but the stress of co-workers and bosses is a fading memory, lol. B)

Yesterday as I was doing my little strength training routine, I thought about all the other exercise goals I didn't follow through with - faithfully walking every day is the big one with original goal of 10,000 steps. Part of my failure was due to foot injury and part of it was because I got busy or "just didn't feel like it."

When I see the benefits of doing 1/2 hour or so of strength training three times a week, I realized I didn't have to do everything. I just did this one thing, three times a week. Formed a new habit, if you will. And it leads to more new good habits - like learning about health and nutrition through checking in with you gals each day.

Rebecca - sending hugs for your parathyroid procedure. Hoping it all goes well and it helps you feel better!

Karen in VA
    - glad your son and grandson were able to get those headphones working in a calm manner without you having to knock heads, lol. That's just to get their attention, right? I am anxious for my DH's noise cancelling headphones to arrive today.

Barbie - almost forgot to thank you for getting us set up and continuing to motivate us with your line dancing and amazing amount of daily steps. <3B)

The sun is up and I'd better get cracking.

Lanette
    Cool SW WA State
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Ginger: It looks like you are doing well. Yay! Congrats on 8.8 pounds gone!!! :flowerforyou:

Viv: It is good to see you posting again. I'm glad that you're back. :star:

Karen in VA: It sounds like knocking your DGS's and his dad's heads together was just the right thing to do. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Heather: I love to read your posts when you travel. We don't do much of it and your tales help me to see the world. :flowerforyou:

klanders: I joined a sports club in the next town over & I'm lucky that my Medicare supplement plan pays for my membership. In the mornings the place is full of men and women "of a certain age" and a few stay at home moms whose kids are in daycare at the club or in school. In the evenings the working crowd comes in. It is a friendly and personable place. I'm happy that you've found a good place, too. :star:

Lanette: Yoga is my health habit, along with cardio in the form of a stationary "bike" just to burn calories. I have a "move more" goal, and it includes all sorts of things, from walking the dog, to horseback riding and the gym. I am being richly rewarded for my efforts with social connections as well as improved fitness and a happier frame of mind.

Today we are looking for fabric to fix a problem in our new to us RV. We plan to visit a fabric store in Longview, WA rather than going all the way to Hillsboro, OR which is a pain in the neck. The distance is likely similar but the traffic is much less horrible going to Longview.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Karen in VA wrote "I don't wear makeup unless I am going to a wedding or fancy party. I don't like the way it feels on my face. I have an acquaintance who has permanent eyeliner - it turned out great, her eyes always look lovely."

I had permanent eyebrows and eyeliner done about 8-9 years ago. Best investment I ever made !! Since I lost 125# my rosacea cleared up, so if I'm seen without makeup no really notices. When I leave the house I use No Makeup Makeup by Perricone MD. All very light and natural looking. Light base, mascara, dab of blush, lipstick and I'm ready to go.

Janetr OKC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Done my run. It is HOT. I ran along the shadiest lane I could find so I managed OK.

Meanwhile, down here, it was 9C when I was doing my run today. Fortunately, I bought some new long running tights I really like, and found a long-sleeved top and lightweight fleece vest which are good.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    Good morning, lovelies!

Rye, loved your cat's eyes/ninja duckies aperture depth of field teaching. You have the gift!
    Can't imagine applying makeup eyes closed, I can't even do it eyes wide open.
    Viv so good to see you! Congrats on the early retirement, think you'll love it.

Yikes time to do those knee exercises.

Enjoy your day,
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    +:60 g protein, meditate,walk one more step, 1/4 times walk Tumble
    -:knee exercises, 0/2 times SWSY, hang up or purge art
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    B)
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Michelle - I'm glad that you voiced what was going on with Pete; I now know that Trey is going to 'defend' Jenn over anything. He just wants up to 'get along'. I've wanted that, too! Now that Trey 'actually' said the 'she's MY WIFE, and immediately re-friended me on FB - maybe Jenn won't think I am 'so awful'. She does have a 'good heart' and I keep telling myself that and praise her 'in my mind' that she does. One of the things I have done, was to 'forgive' Jenn and 'put it in a box and so high on a shelf that I would never be able to remove it'. Type it out if you have to, if you cannot 'let go of it in your heart'. I know it has been hard on you to have your children move away so far; but, like Will moving first to Mississippi, Missouri, Texas, and settling down in Louisiana loving his job and his 5 bosses (and getting married with an immediate family) … that is 'now home'. He has made friends and is well-known by the people around him, even the place where he can just ask, 'does anybody want these fish'? It is a general store run by a black family and friends. He even ordered the 'dark beer' that Will likes to keep on hand whenever he stops for gas or to get rid of 'fish' that he just doesn't want to clean.

Thankfully, the 2 hospitals decided that Danielle was not so 'critically ill' that she needed to be 'transferred to a Trauma I hospital. However, I know if her husband does not agree he will (hopefully) take it up with a MD/GP in Macon about it. So Trey and Jenn were able to take the 2 babies back to their Daddy, pick up her van and take it to him on their way to Tifton to visit friends. It would have meant that Madison would have been taking care of them; but, they love her and even more so, Trey. I know that hospitals do not want to have to transfer a patient, if they can prevent it. If she gets any worse, they might not have any choice. But, according to Jenn she has not been able to take her 'bipolar' meds - I don't know who made that diagnosis. She had an appointment in Macon with my PsycheMD; but, became pregnant before she got to go. I won't go to 'any' PsycheMD in Albany or anywhere that Phoebe has a 'long arm and owns smaller community hospitals'. Phoebe Americus doesn't have a 'full staff of MDs'; but, any reason to go to an ER, that is a few miles closer to us. But, Louis' Urologist told him NOT to go to the ER for any reason. They have they own surgery unit and anesthesiologist nurse.

Jenn just 'has' to 'go somewhere' every weekend, 2 days if she could. One of the days she spends several hours at the grocery store - but; I'm sure she visits someone in the process. But, that gives Trey a few hours or a full day to do what he wants. Louis just doesn't understand it, or why he goes along with her all the time. That's when I really wish they had a separate driveway. I'm thinking that when and if we are able to thin our pines, and we give the boys a 'little bit' (mainly because Trey actually owns about 2 acres in front of his house) maybe Louis can suggest that they have extra trees cut so they can put in a 'driveway' of their own. He had to put up stakes to keep Jenn from riding up and down on the grass making an extra set of ruts that anyone coming to see them also used. He had had enough of telling Trey to tell her not to do it and finally he told her that if she continued (which she did) he was going to do something that would prevent her from doing so and he did.

I'm trying to 'not' worry about either procedure they are planning on doing to me; trying to thing that everything will turn out 'good' for me. But, when they call and say they want to do additional tests - that tends to make me worry more. The Miralax hasn't worked for me; so yesterday I took 2 doses and will do it again today and everyday. But, it has worked well for Louis, he says 'almost' too well.

I need to go outside and work since the sun is now shining, it rained last evening/night. While I really do not want to do it I really should weed my flower bed. I think the armidillow we have has been digging up all my bulbs. One of my irises did not bloom this year - unless I just missed it because the truck was parked in front of it.i I am so excited that one of my orchids has put out a flower stem. It is the one that has little yellow blooms and they last quite a while. When I bought it, it had several stems with a lot of buds that had not opened. The other two I have are looking good.

Well, will check in later.

Lenora