WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Replies

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Kim, I like that you didn't waste your greens. I like that when you got a result that you didn't expect, you thought outside the box and turned a downer into an upper.

I also have to watch for other dogs when I take Major out as he is okay if they are friendly but if they growl at him, he'll defend himself, Majorly! And he is a stout-chested muscular dog now and can pull me right off my feet if I am not braced and ready. So I don't let him off-lead. He absolutely loves children and is always hopeful one will want to pet him, but he looks so foreboding that most parents steer clear of us. LOL. He is a polite gentleman and will sit down quietly to let children pet him, rather than jump or frighten them. Anyway, I have a lot of different places that I drive to (beach and forests), in order to walk my dogs and most of them are pretty deserted so I don't have to worry too much about other dogs. I run with Major and he is pretty good about not tripping me up or pulling my arm out but I do get a bit sore when I do my long runs with him. However, as a deterrent and security bonus, it is worth taking him with me. I don't know if he would actually defend me, but it is enough that he looks the part and COULD if necessary. I will be running with him and Jock this morning for my 30 minute run which I do on my farm road. Very rarely see anyone else on the road. Jock is a different problem. I often let him run off lead as he loves other dogs, but sometimes he will ignore me and play with the other dog and I will have to go back and put his leash on and drag him away.

It is Queen's Birthday holiday here today. Yaye! I have some creative projects I want to work on today. Yesterday I managed to catch up on some cleaning and organizing. I also made Longevity Soup, a recipe I got from The Longevity Plan by Dr. John Day. He went and lived for six months in a village in China with supercentenarians to find out their secrets of long life. One of their secrets is this soup. They make it with pumpkin greens and hemp seeds. I made it my own way. I used hemp seeds but I added a bag of mixed salad greens, steamed brocolli and cauliflower, onion and garlic and potato. I pureed it up to make it thick and creamy. Delicious! It's a good book if anyone wants to find out all their lifestyle and diet choices that help them live past 100 years old. <3 Wendy
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Long day,on jammies and in bed.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    t2215.gif

Karen in Virginia after a long day at work...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    I'm not sure if I heard it here or somewhere else, but I made a cookie recipe today and instead of eggs, I used the "water" from a can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas, or white beans will work too) 1/4 cup for each egg you are replacing. I did it as I was cooking for a vegan, but what a great way to save some $$ or a trip to the store, and while the eggs have protein, there is 70 calories in an egg and 3-5 in a 1/4 cup of garbanzo bean water...

I did use the low sodium beans, I think if you were using the full sodium, I might cut back on any other salt in the recipe.

smiles Kim in N. California
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)<3:D
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Stats for the day-

Jog- 19.33min, 9.46min mi, 137ahr, 154mhr, 6.1-7.5sp, 2mi= 199c
    Apple Watch- 224c
    Other- Chin ups and am dips- 7.13min, 5sts of 10ea, 119ahr, 142mhr= 72c
    Apple Watch- 64c
    Other- leg ext n legs to waist- 6.20min, 5sts of 10ea, 113ahr, 127mhr= 60c
    Apple Watch- 52c
    Jumping- single/double- 10min, 134ahr, 162mhr = 108c
    Apple Watch- 103c

Top cal- 439
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Ginger: It looks like you are doing well. Yay! Congrats on 8.8 pounds gone!!! :flowerforyou:

Viv: It is good to see you posting again. I'm glad that you're back. :star:

Karen in VA: It sounds like knocking your DGS's and his dad's heads together was just the right thing to do. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Heather: I love to read your posts when you travel. We don't do much of it and your tales help me to see the world. :flowerforyou:

klanders: I joined a sports club in the next town over & I'm lucky that my Medicare supplement plan pays for my membership. In the mornings the place is full of men and women "of a certain age" and a few stay at home moms whose kids are in daycare at the club or in school. In the evenings the working crowd comes in. It is a friendly and personable place. I'm happy that you've found a good place, too. :star:

Lanette: Yoga is my health habit, along with cardio in the form of a stationary "bike" just to burn calories. I have a "move more" goal, and it includes all sorts of things, from walking the dog, to horseback riding and the gym. I am being richly rewarded for my efforts with social connections as well as improved fitness and a happier frame of mind.

Today we are looking for fabric to fix a problem in our new to us RV. We plan to visit a fabric store in Longview, WA rather than going all the way to Hillsboro, OR which is a pain in the neck. The distance is likely similar but the traffic is much less horrible going to Longview.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

That fabric store shares it's parking lot with the Recruiting Station! I know that area well! Enjoy your new to you RV!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    So, saw eldest son off to Alaska at the Navy terminal. No fun!
    I think the last time I was in a hospital for me was for a colonoscopy in 2012. I have no pain threshold! Getting an IV is a big deal for me! It's the fishing for a vein that gets me, and then my arm gets so cold with just saline. When I had my toe worked on in 2006,when they have me medicine to make me sleepy, I remember just crying. Ack, I make a horrible patient.....
    Tonight husband is making a baked potato, and I shall make a steak. We share it. I love potato skins, so he eats what he wants, then I eat! But I am having some of the steak, with some cool cucumbers.
    Take care everyone! Love y'all!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington
  • GodMomKim
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Rebecca-I don't know what your surgery consists of but if they have to get a vein ,have the nurse get a warm wet wash cloth and that will plump it right up..worked for me,one of the younger nurses just couldn't get it..
    Also if you need to be intubated ask them for the smallest tube they can use...less sore throts that way... sending you quick healing wishes..
  • coastalgosgal
    It involves a small incision in the neck. They do a scan using dye to figure out which parathyroid needs to come out. Less invasive. It's might just be easy peasy! Here's hoping it will be!
    I don't wish to appear to be a big old baby! It will be a long day nonetheless!
    Rebecca
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did a Warrior DVD (this is yoga). The plan for tomorrow is to do some hula hoop (who knows, maybe I’ll break another hula hoop they’re so old), hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Betty – welcome back! You’ve been missed

Becca – no fair…now I’m having cravings…lol Great salad, and great that you are taking such good care of yourself and your family. They certainly are lucky

Have a question: is anyone’s skin dry? What do you do? I’ve tried EVERYTHING, you name the lotion, I’ve tried it. I slather on the sunscreen all the time. I’ve even tried glycerin straight. But at night my arms, mainly at the elbow joint, are so itchy. I scratch them in my sleep. So far this year I have not drawn blood (I have previously) probably because I’m using lotions and sunscreen, but it’s annoying. Anyone else have this problem? What do you do?

Viv – welcome back and congratulations. I know you’ll love retirement

NYKaren – I’m really happy with the gym I go to now. It’s really clean, it seems to mainly cater to the younger crowd which is good for me because it’s not a crowded during the morning so I can always get access to the equipment and not loud so I can really listen to my audiobooks while working out. I was just thinking that the other day. So glad you found a good gym – which one? I hear ya about the noise. The Y had people there all the time slamming down the weights. I think they think this is cool, makes them sound macho. You know, I’ve gone thru different stages, at one point I really loved cardio and only did weights because I knew they were good for me. Then I felt that way about the weights, now I’m back to feeling that way about cardio. Well….as long as I’m getting both of them in.

Pip – happy birthday to Bullwinkle

Kim – what a great hint. Thanks for sharing it!

Rebecca – sending you well wishes.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    6fo4j52wczgx.jpeg
  • GodMomKim
    michele - Coconut oil - cheap soaks in quick, washes out of stuff if you get it on clothes or sheets....

Kim in N. California
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    That is what I was going to say, coconut oil. Your skin just soaks it up and it is available in grocery stores.
    We went to the outdoor wedding yesterday at 4 pm. The temp was 105. Don’t know what the feels likie number was but it was too hot. Theyserved marguarites and Mexican food. Too hot for me to eat.
    Getting my tile floors cleaned and sealed in the morning. That means I had to move furniture and clean out the pantry and the closet in the utility room.
    Battery about gone.
    SueBDew in TX