WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Options

Replies

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Michele, there is a part in The Hormone Solution which talks about dry skin being a symptom of being deficient in certain hormones: It says on page 106 "With a lack of thyroid hormones and growth hormone, the sweat glands, which secrete water, atrophy, and without enough estrogen, testosterone and DHEA, the sebaceous (oily) glands atrophy. With either or both, the outer layer of your skin gets less hydrated." Perhaps you need to boost your hormones too, or go and get your doctor to test you. <3 Wendy
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    Good evening, lovelies!
    Lenora and Rebecca ((hugs)) for best possible outcomes.
    Kim "constantly paying high attention to locations of possible other dogs" you and me both baby. Tumble hasn't nipped or bitten yet but goes ballistic, barking, belly crawling and sometimes growling. The wonderful volunteer trainers at dog group have been working with us. Tumble can now sometimes tolerate a calm dog to be within 12 ft or so, but if they make a sudden move or approach from the rear, bark Bark BARK!
    Wendy what kinds of dogs are Major and Jock? Tumble is a Skye Terrier and I'll never let her off leash as she values her own opinion over that of others... including mine.
    pip Happy Birthday hugs to beautiful Princess Bullwinkle!

Slacked on knee exercises the past two weeks, paying for it yesterday and today. Hope the trick knee straightens out for the first line dance class of the new session Tuesday.

3hr drive to Medford tomorrow for semi-annual skin scan. Was it Lanette who reminded me they check every square inch? Shaved legs today for first time in months ;) Fingers Xd the MD finds nothing serious, but if it's there, fingers Xd she finds it. Have had basal cell skin cancer 3 or 4 times, Mohs surgery 3 times, countless zaps with the freezer burner. I'm such a wimp, if there's even only zapping, I may take a motel room and self medicate with red wine.

Won't get steps in tomorrow so gonna try to get some more in tonight.

Sleep sweet all,

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 2/2, meditate 2/2, walk one more step 1*/2, 2/4 times walk Tumble
    knee exercises 1/2, times SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 0/2

*it's POSSIBLE I could get another 300 steps in before bed... ;)
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have been googling how to boost your DHEA naturally. Here are some tips: "DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is one of the critical hormones that scientists are calling the `fountain of youth.` This hormone is made from cholesterol by the adrenal glands and is a precursor to 18 steroid hormones including the commonly known sex hormones estrogen and testosterone. Healthy DHEA production is critical for lean muscle development, fat burning, bone growth, skin health, and immunity...An anti-inflammatory diet is a critical part to de-stressing the body and boosting DHEA levels. This diet should be very low in sugar and carbohydrates and very rich in phytonutrients and trace minerals from fresh, raw or lightly steamed vegetables. Powerful anti-inflammatory herbs such as turmeric, ginger, rosemary, thyme, oregano, & cinnamon should be generously consumed on a regular basis...Healthy fat consumption is an essential part of creating cholesterol which is needed to produce DHEA. Healthy fat sources include coconut products, avocados, olive oil, nuts and seeds." <3 Wendy
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a Warrior DVD (this is yoga). The plan for tomorrow is to do some hula hoop (who knows, maybe I’ll break another hula hoop they’re so old), hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Betty – welcome back! You’ve been missed

Becca – no fair…now I’m having cravings…lol Great salad, and great that you are taking such good care of yourself and your family. They certainly are lucky

Have a question: is anyone’s skin dry? What do you do? I’ve tried EVERYTHING, you name the lotion, I’ve tried it. I slather on the sunscreen all the time. I’ve even tried glycerin straight. But at night my arms, mainly at the elbow joint, are so itchy. I scratch them in my sleep. So far this year I have not drawn blood (I have previously) probably because I’m using lotions and sunscreen, but it’s annoying. Anyone else have this problem? What do you do?

Viv – welcome back and congratulations. I know you’ll love retirement

NYKaren – I’m really happy with the gym I go to now. It’s really clean, it seems to mainly cater to the younger crowd which is good for me because it’s not a crowded during the morning so I can always get access to the equipment and not loud so I can really listen to my audiobooks while working out. I was just thinking that the other day. So glad you found a good gym – which one? I hear ya about the noise. The Y had people there all the time slamming down the weights. I think they think this is cool, makes them sound macho. You know, I’ve gone thru different stages, at one point I really loved cardio and only did weights because I knew they were good for me. Then I felt that way about the weights, now I’m back to feeling that way about cardio. Well….as long as I’m getting both of them in.

Pip – happy birthday to Bullwinkle

Kim – what a great hint. Thanks for sharing it!

Rebecca – sending you well wishes.

Michele in NC

My daughter had this problem when she was young, she would scratch herself until she was raw. I was told to switch to Dove bar soap, no liquid soaps. This fixed her right up. She says she still has to use it in the winter and she used body butter now from bath and body works.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    So, saw eldest son off to Alaska at the Navy terminal. No fun!
    I think the last time I was in a hospital for me was for a colonoscopy in 2012. I have no pain threshold! Getting an IV is a big deal for me! It's the fishing for a vein that gets me, and then my arm gets so cold with just saline. When I had my toe worked on in 2006,when they have me medicine to make me sleepy, I remember just crying. Ack, I make a horrible patient.....
    Tonight husband is making a baked potato, and I shall make a steak. We share it. I love potato skins, so he eats what he wants, then I eat! But I am having some of the steak, with some cool cucumbers.
    Take care everyone! Love y'all!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington

I wish you all the best tomorrow!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Any one that thinks Legos are just for kids needs to meet my eldest son! This is his Lego Room presently!
    t265f9ksagry.jpeg
    puag54jucsvm.jpeg
    g9eo1094qrzd.jpeg

He's bought Legos that make a Japanese city. He has a bunch of large Star Wars ships each averaging $200+ bucks!! But it relaxes him, and hey, at least he isn't bar hopping or anything!
    Rebecca
    Mrs Lego Master
    Whidbey island WA

My brother and nephew get the big LEGO sets for Christmas each year to do over the Winter, it’s a wonderful hobby! I have to remember to show these pics to my grandson.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Any one that thinks Legos are just for kids needs to meet my eldest son! This is his Lego Room presently!
    t265f9ksagry.jpeg
    puag54jucsvm.jpeg
    g9eo1094qrzd.jpeg

He's bought Legos that make a Japanese city. He has a bunch of large Star Wars ships each averaging $200+ bucks!! But it relaxes him, and hey, at least he isn't bar hopping or anything!
    Rebecca
    Mrs Lego Master
    Whidbey island WA

My brother and nephew get the big LEGO sets for Christmas each year to do over the Winter, it’s a wonderful hobby! I have to remember to show these pics to my grandson.

Many of the various Pirate ships, and star wars ships are ones he got off eBay. Out of circulation sets, not sold anymore. Also you can go into the Lego site and build your own sets. As you're building, it shows you how much per brick it costs. Then they can box it up, with the various bricks you choose, with the picture of what you made in the cover! You just have to go on your Lego account to get the plans on how to build it. My eldest son did that for his younger brothers, so sweet! My eldest son also buys the Chinese knockoff brand, which if you're a true Lego fan you probably should not do. But that's how he got his oriental city, with kanji characters in some of the bricks. Fun stuff!
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Machka: I'm glad you dressed for the weather and did your run today. WTG!!!

Felicia: Enjoy San Francisco. I hope all the escapees from Alcatraz had good runs. :wink:

(((Lenora))) :flowerforyou:

Kim: I am so impressed that you were able to make your carrot tops into pesto. WTG!!! :star:

Pip: Happy Birthday to Bullwinkle on her Lucky 13th birthday! :flowerforyou:

Becca: I'm delighted to hear that your DH is now cooking for you on occasion. WTG! :heart: I hope your parathyroid problems are soon solved without too much discomfort and worry. (((HUGS))) I love your son's Lego creations, especially the Star Wars ships. :bigsmile:

Wendy: I'm thinking I should look for The Longevity Plan and read it. I want to feed some of that soup to DH. He's been on quite a rollercoaster for the past few weeks. His shift in diet has made things so much better, but his other problems jump up and bite him more than I'd like. :ohwell: I absolutely love the picture of the two horses with their lama friend! I bet they're both thinking how glad they are that they don't go to the same hairdresser. :laugh:

We found great fabric for repairing the curtains in the RV bedroom! We went to Hillsboro, OR rather than driving to Longview, WA, and they had the perfect cloth on sale. Yay! Then we wasted loads of time going to Camping World. Long drive, much traffic, nothing of interest in the store. :grumble:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - Sending very best wishes for your op. It'll be over in a flash. :D<3

I know you ladies all love your dogs to bits, but the more I hear about some of them the more I'm profoundly grateful I haven't got any! I don't even have any house plants in my house because I hate being responsible for living things. I can't imagine sleeping with a dog - I can only just about manage to sleep with an inert and non snoring husband!! I'm such a light sleeper, I can't bear to have anything touching me.
    I think we all get our pleasure in our own way. The things that make life worth living vary so much. What would be one person's hell is someone else's comfort blanket. For me my autonomy is just a basic necessity for me.
    This thread is a wonderful insight into other people's lives. We are all so different and that's what makes it fascinating. <3:D<3:D
    We are off on the cruise tomorrow. Major packing day today. :o DH has got to get a hair cut and pick some of the riper gooseberries. I hope the rest will last on the bush until we come back.

Lots of love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    I hate not being able to sleep in the middle of the night. My temperature is swinging from hot - get these covers off me now - to oh it is so cold I need another cover every 10 minutes it seems. I’ve been doing this cover dance for An hour now. After about two to three hours fitful sleep earlier.

Mostly this it is a head game keeping me up, or al least keeping from at least dozing. I made a mistake at work on Saturday and a facility patron caught it and threw a fit. The mistake in question was at 5 minutes before closing time I called into the facility woman’s locker room and got no response so I turned out a light and continued closing other parts of the facility. Now I did not turn off all the locker room lights, but it was dimmer in that area.

Hoop boy. The lady still in there used it as the reason to throw a temper tantrum, with numerous complaints against me and the facility ( the only valid one being the light, for which I took full responsibility and repeatedly apologized). She will be ‘talking to the Hospital group president’ because my actions ‘constituted a safety hazard (um, that is stretching it!) and never in the 700 years since she has been going there has anyone ever... ((OK, I’m exaggerating she said 17 years).

Of course it ruined my day, and I really don’t like the 8 hour no break or lunch work shifts, and on Saturday’s I am the Only employee on the premises and while it is not a difficult job, I’m aching to get out by the day’s end. But I was able to put it aside and get on with my day once I finally got out of work. But obviously it is upsetting and worrisome because I can’t get back to sleep for thinking of it.

I have never been or known anyone important but simply cannot understand these rich and important people who want to ruin the lives of people who make little more than minimum wage at heir jobs and want to threaten them with calling the chain of hospitals president ( we are owned by a hospital) for a mistake I took responsibility for and apologized three times.

I have a T-shirt my husband gave me that says “you read my t-shirt, that is enough social interaction for the day”. When people are so nasty like this and want the world to bow to them and their importance and their money (which obviously means they are so much more important than me) I feel like putting that shirt on and crawling back into my house and never leaving.

I really don’t want to go in to work tomorrow. And it is hard not to curl up in a ball and cry right now.

Rye

When I worked retail, all the places I've worked retail have had a quiet "worst/strangest customer of the day" contest. If a customer does something that stands out from the normal ... like having a temper tantrum, for example ... they qualify as a potential "worst/strangest customer of the day" or maybe even "worst/strangest customer of the week". Us retail staff would quietly compare notes each day or every few days to see if we had the "worst/strangest customer of the day" ... and of course, we'd laugh at them all.

A few stood out to be "worst/strangest customer of the year"!!

Do you have coworkers you can talk to and compare notes with? Sometimes that helps. :)

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Oh Rye, how awful! I'd second what Machka said about channeling your frustruation into a "worst customer of the day contest" but it appears you often work alone. Just remember you can always complain to us. If it comes to a competition, you're way ahead of me, as I didn't have the misfortune to meet a single jerk all last week.

But let's spare a thought for that pitiful woman in the locker room! Imagine having such a tiny soul that you have to cuss people out and complain to the management just to get confirmation that you are indeed present in the world. Poor little rich bi-ch.

I'm out at the island now. My intention was to sow seeds and tend the strawberry plants and dig through the potato patch so it's ready for planting when my husband gets here on Wednesday. But I have been unable to face the north Norwegian weather. It's been raining cats and dogs and the temperature has hovered around 40°F, so I've huddled close to the fireplace. Right now, it's snowing! Ten days in super-sunny, 78°F Stockholm apparently spoiled me.
    /Penny, temporarily unaccustomed to living at the t07190.gif
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Penny, Machka thanks. I do often work alone or most of my shift is isolated from others in the facility.

Penny I do feel sorry for her, but quite differently than I do some others. There is one lady who comes in every Saturday and who ever is working gets an earful. She has a complaint for everything, it seems. But, it was obvious very quickly to me, that her complaining was probably an excuse to talk to someone. I would listen and sympathize (of course she never threw a fit or threatened me) and now when I see her we talk about how she is feeling, her progress in physical therapy, or how uncomfortable The Texas weather is. People like her I understand, empathize with and can make a good connection with. She really was just lonely and looking for an excuse to talk.

The people who want to make others miserable just to show off their power? Well I do feel sorry for them, but I don’t have an ounce of sympathy for them, and not a but if understanding or empathy.

It’s not too bad, this is only the second threat leveling hung up on their own money, power and importance, son of a kitten, I’ve encountered in 6+ months. (The other said “ I make in an hour what you probably make in a week so you better go find out where and which whom my appointment is for me” - but had the decency to at least only IMPLY the threat to my job and he had ill health as a reason if not excuse).

Sigh. Can’t get the damned woman out of my mind, I’ve already lost 3 hours sleep tonight.

Gonna try to go back to sleep now.

Thanks for listening.

Rye
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Penny - Your post made me look up the temperature for Lulea, Northern Sweden. I think by the time we get right up there it won't be too bad. Quite temperate. It's not all that warm here today or tomorrow, thankfully. Packing in a heatwave is no fun! The breeze will be picking up tomorrow, but I hope DH won't need his seasickness pills.

I'm taking it all really slowly. Often packing gives me backache, foot ache etc. I've got my arch supports on and I'm not rushing. Usually I end up with bruises from lugging suitcases around as I bruise really easily! Slowly does it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx