WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2018

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - will you somehow send a message to us when your operation is over? Sending plenty of healing HUGS!

Lenora
    - sending big HUGS your way as well!

Rye
    - sorry that gal turned out to be such a poop! She's probably not the first that has ever set foot in that place, nor will she be the last. But hopefully the last one you will encounter. <3

At the county building where I once worked, there were signs in the restrooms to turn off the lights and conserve energy. More than once people would find themselves in totally dark bathroom stalls because someone forgot to "check for feet" in the stalls on their way out the door and they'd flick the switch. And twice we lost power in the building while I was there so again, the bathrooms were pitch black.

That could happen anywhere. Is there any way for management to place some little battery operated "night lights" in the dark areas in case of power outages or an accidental light turn off?

Lisa
    - good points about more practical homes as we age. Our present house is an average rambler but still has a few steps up which concern me a little with DH's arthritis. We could have a handicap ramp put in if needed. In the 1940's there was a cute style of "craftsman" home built - I know of half a dozen in our town. All on one floor with some unique architectural features including a large covered porch area. That's kind of my dream house right now and I'd like to see the interiors. They might have been Sears or Montgomery Wards kit homes.

Heather - have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to see photos!

Karen in VA - seems like our lives revolve around our dogs as well. Before we moved here, it was tending the livestock like Wendy. But, our pups add so much to our lives I cannot imagine not having at least one or two dogs around. Your Yorkies are just too cute - love their names. You can tell they love their mommy!

Last Friday when I got my allergy shots, I had severe pain in my left arm that actually shot down the side of my chest about an hour after the injection. I could still breathe OK - my BP was 128/73, pulse 54 which was great for me so apparently I wasn't going into shock or having a heart attack, lol. Did my workout the next day and washed the car just fine.

I called the allergy doc this morning, she said that can happen if the serum is delivered too close to the nerve somehow. AND it's OK to move the shots to the hip! Shoot up those love handles! May have to get twice a week for another month or so since it's grass season. :s But the shots are working.

Ok ladies, time to get busy! Have a great week!

Lanette
    Sunny and cool and lovely SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - Sending very best wishes for your op. It'll be over in a flash. :D<3

I know you ladies all love your dogs to bits, but the more I hear about some of them the more I'm profoundly grateful I haven't got any! I don't even have any house plants in my house because I hate being responsible for living things. I can't imagine sleeping with a dog - I can only just about manage to sleep with an inert and non snoring husband!! I'm such a light sleeper, I can't bear to have anything touching me.
    I think we all get our pleasure in our own way. The things that make life worth living vary so much. What would be one person's hell is someone else's comfort blanket. For me my autonomy is just a basic necessity for me.
    This thread is a wonderful insight into other people's lives. We are all so different and that's what makes it fascinating. <3:D<3:D
    We are off on the cruise tomorrow. Major packing day today. :o DH has got to get a hair cut and pick some of the riper gooseberries. I hope the rest will last on the bush until we come back.

Lots of love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

I think we are soul mates, LOL I do have three plants in my house because my husband insists on them, but I truly never want to be that tied down to something again. When my girls were little I didn't want pets because my husband drove truck and I had my hands full as it was. Then we moved and he quit driving but we didn't get any because it would be unfair to have it left alone all day. Now I think about it once in a while but then think "no, I can go wherever and whenever I want, why would I want to tie myself down."
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Rye, it's probably too late to help you sleep tonight but for future reference this might help. I am also very sensitive to conflict and will lay awake for hours agonizing over some nasty interaction like you experienced. What I now do, to cancel out those repetitve bad thoughts, is put my ipod on to my nighttime talking/soothing music guided meditations. Listening to my 'friend' who takes me on little journeys into beautiful places and helps to regulate my breathing, blocks out other thoughts and helps me go to sleep. I also tell myself that one day I will look back on this episode and laugh about it. I had a confrontation with a son of a kitten in a changing room at a hot pools once that nearly resulted in blows! (And me, a peaceful loving person!) Now I look back and really laugh about it and also think how I could have behaved differently and wonder why that person was acting like she was. And also I examined myself to understand why I reacted so strongly to her false accusations. But I thought these things over in the daytime and much later when I was emotionally detached from the situation. I hate being kept awake at night, so thank God for my guided meditations!

Katla, do read The Longevity Plan. It is a great book!

Heather, I hope you can keep us updated during your cruise and post lots of pics. I like to travel vicariously! <3 Wendy
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Karen, your pups are gorgeous! Just like yourself. <3 Wendy
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Well today I just had the X-Ray scan. It was traumatic though. Couldn't find a vein to put the dye in, so the tech got a nurse, and she used an ultrasound finding one, of course. Numbed up the area, while she fished around. Then I burst forth, haahaa! Had to stay still for sets of 10 mins about 4 times. That was taking a pic of the thyroid. Then I had to wait three hours ,from the time he put the dye in, and come back. By then nature has taken its course, and the dye has reached the parathyroids. I then had pictures taken, stay still for 30 mins, and then 10 mins. Sitting on my hands, until I was in agony! We went and got pizza though, when I was in wait mode. Long day. Came back and just slept!
    The nurse even put the time and signed her name where she put the IV, because I had said, let's keep this in for the surgery! Then tech called to let doc know, and the docs office said, oh she's not having surgery today. Grr, then why did the nurse call us to schedule the procedure?? I guess in their world the scan was a procedure. After today, I am declaring that scan a procedure too!
    Now I wait for the doctor to get his act together and look at the scans!
    Rebecca
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Michele, have you ever talked to a dr about your dry skin? I'm just wondering, is it just dry skin or could you have dermatitis? I have contact dermatitus, it gets really itchy if I'm in contact with certain foods (acidic ones are the worst!) or if I don't dry my hands properly (especially around my rings) I get itchy patches that drive me nuts! I have a prescription cream that contains a corticosteroid, makes a HUGE difference! The itching stops almost immediately and the rash clears up within a few days, provided I'm diligent about the other factors, of course. Just my thought.
    Rebecca, hoping all goes well with your surgery! Wow the Lego room is awesome!! And yes, there are definitely worse addictions! Update: sorry to hear about the mix up in procedures! Frustrating that it couldn't just get done and be over!
    Lenora, hoping your surgery also goes well!
    Rye, that woman treated you horribly! Why did she not answer when you called? Stupid, stupid woman! Sincerely hope that she stays away from you from now on! It was her own fault! I do like Machka's idea of the worst customer etc! Working in pubs and kitchens, we certainly had some stories to share! And yes, we did laugh about customers!
    Penny is so right! She is just a small woman, trying to get noticed, unfortunate that she feels she needs to make someone else's life a misery to do that....
    Lisa, good that you are aware of your limitations and are bearing them in mind while doing your house search. That will definitely play in your favor!
    Kelly, glad you got some well earned rest over the weekend!
    Cheri, congrats on your new home!
    Heather, safe travels! Sounds like such a wonderful trip!
    Vicki, so sorry to hear of your poodles last trip to the vet. Had to take our cat on that trip not so long ago, it is hard, but quality of life definitely needs to be taken into account. Our poor girl was pretty old and worn out.
    On the subject of pets, we got one cat on purpose and then had two more, at different times, find their way into our home. The second two were rescues, and we did have all three for several years. The one we got on purpose went first, made sense, he was the oldest, then our first rescue and finally our second rescue. They were actually about the same age, but for whatever reason, they didn't have the same lifespan. Anyway, they were never allowed on our bed as hubby is allergic. We have now decided that we won't have any more pets. As much as I love cuddling with cats (not that any of the last three were cuddlers, although they did have their moments), but I'm tired of scooping litter boxes and fixing food and cleaning up kitty litter....!! Also, it will make it so much easier to travel, especially if we are going away for more than a few days. Never had a dog for a pet, never really wanted one. It's not that I don't like dogs, they're just not my favorite. Older son and daughter in law have a puppy, they are going away for a week. Had friends ask today if we were taking the dog. Uh, that would be a firm and loud NO! We hardly get to see the grandson, sure a he!! not taking the dog! I imagine they will leave her with dil's sister and bil. They have a pup that's about the same age, so that would work out.
    Kelly, I laughed out loud about you gathering up the doggie droppings from your yard and dropping it on the inconsiderate woman's doorstep!
    Hugs to those who need them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Thx to all for ou girls happy birthday wishes. Every year after this is a blessing for a golden
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.15min, 128mhr, 13.1amph. 1.5mi= 66c
    apple watch- 58c
    TREADMILL, walk- 30.48min, variety program, 96ahr, 117mhr, 0-6.5incline, 3.9ap, 3.7-4.0sp 2mi= 148c
    apple watch- 222c
    STAIRCLIMBER- 15min, 131ahr, 139mhr, 63floors, lvl7, 1013steps, some evry other step= 142c
    apple watch- 91c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.02min, 124mhr, 17.9amph, 1.5mi= 44c
    apple watch- 47c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 14.35min, 12.5amph, 114ahr, 141mhr, 3mi= 121c
    apple watch- 122c
    walk sta 2 wk w/backpack- 8.12min, 126mhr, 102ahr, 3.7ap, .5mi= 55c
    apple watch- 53c
    walk wk 2 sumn sta- w/bkpack- 7.01min, 102ahr, 119mhr, 4.1ap, .4mi = 45c
    apple watch- 49c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.30min, 8.2amph, 118ahr, 142mhr, 2.5mi =163c
    apple watch- 148c

total cal 784
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did hula hoop for 5 min (no, I didn’t break the hula hoop!), held my plank for 3 min, then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do part of the Solid Gold Cardio DVD

Kim – thanks for the suggestion, but I really don’t want to have coconut oil in the house. Jess is SEVERLY allergic and I don’t know how long it would remain in the air. I have this candle that Denise gave to me (why, I really don’t know since I’m not a candle person) that is in a coconut shell. I asked Jess if she wanted it since it’s just in the shell. She decided she didn’t since it was a coconut.

Wendy – that is very interesting. I wouldn’t have any idea what to ask the doc to test for! A diet low in sugar – I think I can handle that. Low carb – here we go again…lol For the last few weeks I’ve been having some avacado almost every day in my salad. I’m a big vegetable eater. I’d rather have a plate of vegetables than some meat. But I know that you need at least SOME meat. Love your dogs

Heather – I’m someone who needs to be with people, Vince is just the opposite, he’d prefer to be home. Many times he’s home for days on end. Me? I’m usually out and about everyday for something. But that’s what makes us compliment each other. Have a great trip

Rye – I think you handled this with grace and elegance. Isn’t it a shame that people can be so uncouth? She probably needed your kindness right then

I’m really afraid to use coconut oil, the Dove sounds like a good alternative. Thank you, everyone, for your great suggestions, especially all the alternatives to coconut oil

Lisa – I especially hate it when I buy a house that I think will work well and it turns out that I made a humongous mistake. One of the absolute things I wanted in a house when we moved here was that all the living area HAD to be on one floor. We told the realtor that if it wasn’t, don’t even bother showing us the house because that was a definite deal breaker. In this house, all the living area is on one floor. On the floor downstairs is another bedroom, another bathroom, TV room, my exercise room. Rooms that if I don’t have to, I don’t need to go into. That happened once a few years ago when I broke a bone in my foot. I couldn’t walk down the stairs. It needed to be dusted and vacuumed, but I didn’t have to do that that minute.

Karen in VA – what lovely doggies you have there

KJ – there have been times when my fingers would crack from the cold (especially when we lived in the Poconos) and I would put glycerine on my hands then wear latex gloves. Now I sometimes have to do it when I’m working with baling wire – that stuff really dries out your hands.

We have four cats. Vince will say when I get home “it’s only mommy”. I just can’t bring myself to calling him “daddy” to the cats. I feel I’m not the cats' mommy. But it makes him happy so I just let him do it

Cheri – congrats on your new home!

Tracie – welcome back

Carol – welcome back!

Sue in WA – yea for the blueberries

Vicki – (((HUG)))

Evie – no, I never talked to the MD about the itching

Lenora – fingers crossed for the best for you

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :'(Vicki, I am so sorry for your loss. Our fur babies never stay long enough.