Less Alcohol- June 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @amberellen12, I discovered this easy-peezy, delicious method for making a pitcher of unsweetened and un-bitter iced tea a few years ago. It's from The Splendid Table on NPR. Ever since, I've had at least one pitcher going at a time in my fridge, and I've used all kinds of tea--black, herbal, peach, raspberry, etc. This method works for all of them. Enjoy!

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/you-can-cold-brew-iced-tea-while-you-sleep

thanks for the reminder of this, I used to make this alot last year, 2 tea bags in a 1.5 litre bottle of water and leave for a few hours.
    Have just put a couple of bottles in the fridge to brew :smile:

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @kpsyche Thank you for sharing your moving story. Alcohol is a toxic poison. IT really should have those skull and crossbones symbol on every bottle. I'm so happy you got a second lease on life and are on this journey with us. You have been through hell and now, you are fighting back. Wishing you the best! Xoxo
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies @donimfp I have the same feeling sometimes that I post too much. But it's therapy for us to write and journal on this thread. It's like we are working through our thought processes by typing a post. I think we learn so much from each other that it's impossible to post too much. Keep it comin'
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book 'Rational Recovery' it's the most straight forward no bull *kitten* book on drinking out there. Alcoholism is not a disease! Cirrhosis is a disease. Smoking is not a disease! Cancer is a disease. Over eating is not a disease! Morbid obesity is a disease. Drinking, smoking and eating to excess or "addictions" and you do them because your "beast" tells you to. There are two of you in your head. At the base brain at the top of the spinal cord is where your mind generates enormous drives for oxygen, food, shelter, sex, and other base instincts. As man evolved we got to the point where we had a frontal cortex. That part of the brain is you. It controls decision making and all other facets of your life that are choices. That base brain is your "BEAST" and it's what's telling you it's OK to drink even though "YOU" know that drinking has consistently has produced bad experiences and consequences. You have to learn to recognize your "BEAST" and tell it to *kitten* off. Recognition of the addictive voice (Your Beast) is the key. AVRT is the whole process. AVRT is "Addictive Voice RecognitionTechnique". You recognize that the voice telling you to drink, and it only wants to drink for one reason; it likes to drink, no it loves to drink because of the deeeeep pleaaaaasure that alcohol provides. You don't need AA and those meetings where people talk about alcohol all the time. How many people do you know who quit smoking and don't go to ex smokers
    meetings? "Addictive Voice Recognition Technique" is simply a technique where you recognize that the voice in your head doesn't give a *kitten* about you, but the other voice in your head is YOU and you know that time and time again drinking has produced bad results. But the reason you keep doing it is because your BEAST only cares about getting that deep pleasure that comes with that second or third drink and then into oblivion you go. And the calories just keep eating up your daily allowance. So your beast says don't eat and then you can spend those calories on booze. So now you're drinking on an empty stomach and we all know what that means. Google Rational Recovery and accept that if you wrote on this blog you are addicted to alcohol and your BEAST is running the show!
    Time to put AVRT into action and move on.

I am reading The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray. In it she lists AVRT as one of the important tools to use early early on, and it makes so much sense to me. I highly recommend this book. It hasn't had it's official release in the US (later this year) but I got it from Amazon, it just took a few weeks.

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 - thanks for sharing that about your sons. Isn't that incredible that they don't drink, in college no less? You must be so happy and relieved about that. And, yes, my friend Chardonnay -- I love it!

@donimfp - thanks for that ice tea suggestion!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @JenT304, thanks for that recommendation. I loved The Liars Club. Will certainly try Lit. I did't know she'd written about this.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe! I ‘m going to make up a container of ice tea right now for the unhappy hours which for me is 3 - 5. If I don’t have anything to drink by 5 I usually don’t have any cravings so don’t drink. I also don’t drink after I’ve had dinner. I try to have my dinner between 5 & 6.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @JenT304, thanks for that recommendation. I loved The Liars Club. Will certainly try Lit. I did't know she'd written about this.

Her writing is both harrowing and laugh out loud funny. I absolutely love Mary Karr. I want to be her neighbor. She is very inspiring.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    @thiswillhappen The weight will fall right off. Best wishes on your nuptials!