High protein low sugar breakfast ideas

Options

Replies

• Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I feel ya! I’m in the same boat where even picking a slow rate of weight loss equals a low calorie level. I also find a high protein breakfast indispensable for satiety at this calorie level.

Do you like Greek yogurt? I find that very filling, easily one of my most filling foods.

There’s a recipe in this folder for low-calorie high-protein cheesecake. It’s delicious and, to me, very filling! I just made it for the second consecutive week. I’d highly rec giving it a try. (To like the flavor of the finished product, it’s important that you use a protein powder whose flavor you enjoy.) I alter the base recipe by using low-fat cream cheese (rather than non-fat) and a flavored Greek yogurt. That increases the calories but not by much. The first time I made it, I also put in calorific add-ins (chocolate, dried cherries, and almonds) but this time I didn’t use any add-ins and it’s still delish.

Protein smoothies are another option.
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I’m in the same boat where even picking a slow rate of weight loss equals a low calorie level. I also find a high protein breakfast indispensable for satiety at this calorie level.

Do you like Greek yogurt? I find that very filling, easily one of my most filling foods.

There’s a recipe in this folder for low-calorie high-protein cheesecake. It’s delicious and, to me, very filling! I just made it for the second consecutive week. I’d highly rec giving it a try. (To like the flavor of the finished product, it’s important that you use a protein powder whose flavor you enjoy.) I alter the base recipe by using low-fat cream cheese (rather than non-fat) and a flavored Greek yogurt. That increases the calories but not by much. The first time I made it, I also put in calorific add-ins (chocolate, dried cherries, and almonds) but this time I didn’t use any add-ins and it’s still delish.

Protein smoothies are another option.

Hey thanks! Yes I like greek yogurt! I usually eat it in the affternoon, but I could switch for breakfast too...
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer almond butter and you could easily make your own. Put almonds into food processor or vitamix and process until it turns into almond butter, stopping occasionally along the way to scrape down the sides and to let it cool down.
    If using, add salt to taste and process again briefly to combine.
    Store in jars in the fridge. Keeps for weeks.

On a visit to Canada, several places had quinoa bowls for breakfast that were either sweet with fruit and nuts or savory with eggs and vegetables.
    93639 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I saw your workout comment, and I just have to say that strength training is likely the way to go for you. Lean muscle keeps your metabolism up, even when you aren't in the gym. If you work the circuit trainers, you can get a total body workout that isn't cardio, but will help with those "vanity" pounds for the future.
  • Semele0
    Options
    93639 wrote: »
    I saw your workout comment, and I just have to say that strength training is likely the way to go for you. Lean muscle keeps your metabolism up, even when you aren't in the gym. If you work the circuit trainers, you can get a total body workout that isn't cardio, but will help with those "vanity" pounds for the future.

Thanks for the tip. I usually do group workouts that are a mix of cardio and strenght. I like them, the teacher is really good and I don't like to work out alone. They are 1h long (but around 45' of real workout), and I go at least 4 days a week. I track them in the app as "Gym - general" or something like that, because I don't really know what else to select. They also made me a training program for the weight room, but I rarely go because I prefer the class and I don't have much time to spend in the gym. In my gym there is also a circuit training class, I tried it and is not bad, but I still prefer what I'm doing now.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You've been given some great ideas, but I'd also point out that... you could eat 'non-breakfast' food for breakfast, if you'd like. It seems obvious, now that someone else had pointed it out, but it wasn't something I'd have thought of myself, so pointing it out in case you hadn't considered it, either. :) You could make yourself a sandwich, grilled chicken, salad or anything else and eat it in the morning.
  • Semele0
    Options
    Yeah, now it seems so obvious... :D
    Ahahah thanks!
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

This is what I was going to say! Strength training is a really great help in lowering body fat percentage if you are within a normal weight range...or just in general. I was a 5’0 tall woman who weighed 145lbs and still lost 20 lbs by circuit training with the focus more on lifting even while eating 1600 calories a day. At 125lbs, I actually was the same size as my mother who weighed 20 lbs less than me at the size height because I had muscle (size 4)! I’m back because I’ve had a baby and gained weight again
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Semele0 wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Do you have peanut butter? Put it on wheat toast with banana sliced on top. My fave breakfast item.

Peanut butter is not easy to find, and I don't know if I like it, I found it quite odd the only time I tasted it years ago. Maybe I'll try again if I find it. Thanks anyway!

Are nuts of any kind easy to find? Seven minutes in a good quality blender makes you your own nut butter.

No nuts? Chickpeas with sesame paste, olive oil, lime juice and minced garlic. Mash in to hummus. Delish.
  • Semele0
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Semele0 wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Do you have peanut butter? Put it on wheat toast with banana sliced on top. My fave breakfast item.

Peanut butter is not easy to find, and I don't know if I like it, I found it quite odd the only time I tasted it years ago. Maybe I'll try again if I find it. Thanks anyway!

Are nuts of any kind easy to find? Seven minutes in a good quality blender makes you your own nut butter.

No nuts? Chickpeas with sesame paste, olive oil, lime juice and minced garlic. Mash in to hummus. Delish.

Oh yes they are easy to find. Walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds are my favourite, I always have them in my pantry. I usually eat them whole, alone or in my yogurt, I can try to make butter out of them, thanks. Actually you could find peanuts just as easily, but they are usually toated and a bit salty, is more of snack...
    I love hummus. That is easier to find, and I made it myself a couple of times, but I really cannot see it as a breakfast item, expecially with banana on bread, as dsboohead suggested about the peanut butter :D
  • carolsoules
    carolsoules Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt and fruit is awesome. Bananas, apples oranges, and other fruits with a low surface-area-to-volume ratio are usually high in carbs, but fruits with higher surface-area-to-volume ratios like berries are usually not, and they're easier to weigh out to exactly the grams you need to meet your macros.

If I'm really craving something sweet I'll take my morning cup of coffee, let it cool, and shake it with my whey protein powder (I use chocolate flavor), skim milk, and some peanut butter powder (order brand PB2 online if you can't find it in stores; it's basically peanut butter with the fat removed) to make a high-protein, low-carb, low-fat breakfast drink.

I usually eat an egg white omelet with sautéed veggies and a little fruit on the side, along with a protein shake--but I'm on a super high protein diet right now. I save my carbs for pre- and post-workout.
  • carolsoules
    carolsoules Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Also, Jamie Eason (professional sports model) has a few decent protein bar recipes that are sweet and cake-like--that'll probably be the closest you can come to what you normally like to eat.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/recipes/jamie-easons-chocolate-protein-bars
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-carrot-cake-protein-bars.htm
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-recipes-pumpkin-protein-bars.html
  • Semele0
    Options

This is what I was going to say! Strength training is a really great help in lowering body fat percentage if you are within a normal weight range...or just in general. I was a 5’0 tall woman who weighed 145lbs and still lost 20 lbs by circuit training with the focus more on lifting even while eating 1600 calories a day. At 125lbs, I actually was the same size as my mother who weighed 20 lbs less than me at the size height because I had muscle (size 4)! I’m back because I’ve had a baby and gained weight again

I don't know if you read my post above where I replied to "93639", but I already have a workout routine that works for me. I do groups workout because I don't like to workout alone, there is some cardio but a lot of strenght training too. I have a program for the weight room, and I go there sometimes, but don't find it as enjoyable as the group class. Isn't it better to do something you enjoy rather then force yourself to do something you don't like? It would be easier for me to skip gym if I found it so boring as I do find lifting. Thank you anyway fo the suggestion.
    In the end, I'm quite satisfied with my eating pattern and workout routine. I know 1200 may sound so little, but I can manage, and I don't really eat 1200 everyday, I often go over or eat back some of the workout calories. I'm losing slowly but I do lose. If I see that I start losing more quickly, that would mean that my metabolism changed thanks to the strenght training, in that case I can up my cals, but now I see by the pace in which I'm losing, that I cannot eat more. By the way, I've always had a slow metabolism, my manteinance is around 1500, and that is what I would normally eat if I'm not trying to cut, and is the amount on which I slowly gained around 10kg in 10 years :D
  • Semele0
    Options
    Also, Jamie Eason (professional sports model) has a few decent protein bar recipes that are sweet and cake-like--that'll probably be the closest you can come to what you normally like to eat.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/recipes/jamie-easons-chocolate-protein-bars
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-carrot-cake-protein-bars.htm
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-recipes-pumpkin-protein-bars.html

Thankyou for both of your answers, they are very useful!

And sorry for my english for everybody, this morning I just keep making mistakes...
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Last week I had steak tacos for breakfast. There's no law stating what foods are allowed for breakfast. I've also been known to have chicken fajitas for breakfast.
  • richvd78
    richvd78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My breakfast consist of 0% fat yoghurt with blueberries, some goji berries, some almonds and some walnuts.
    Very tasty and very healthy!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    When I was in Italy, most of the hotels we stayed in served an assortment of meats (salami, prosciutto, etc) and cheeses for breakfast. I would eat those along with a hard boiled egg and olives. It was divine. Oh, and the chocolate croissants (but I don't think that's what you're looking for ;) )
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Steak n eggs!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great ideas, gonna try these!
  • Kuchiness
    Kuchiness Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try scrambled eggs with a full spoonful of cottage cheese. It's really yummy. You can also add some fresh parsley in it.