Body snatchers

Options
Hi! Its 2am here in Houston and I just ate a plate full of queso and flour tortillas, two of my worst vices since I quit smoking: bread and cheese. I’ve been really trying to be healthy and change my eating habits because I’m 27 and obese and teatering on the edge of practically every illness associated with obesity, and I know it will only get harder as I get older (I am looking at my parents who are also obese, but also sick.) So you can see how truly important and serious I am about losing weight. So why would I make such a terrible late night food choice? I tell you, it is like another person takes over my body! Most of the day, I am motivated and practicing healthy habits like yoga and mealprep, but in those moments where I binge on the worst foods, foods my parents keep around always, I am but an observer. I will even say to myself “how will this choice effect your future” and think of all the consequences of eating so much crap (blood sugar spike, constipation) but there I go, doing it anyway. Then, afterwards, I will jump right back on to being motivated and being healthy. This happens nearly every day, especially in the face of any level of stress. Its like my brain switches between 2 people. Does this happen to you?

Replies

• Wiedzma_Agata
    Wiedzma_Agata Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Every single time when I'm back from a night shift...
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I can't say it does - I never eat anything at night, I can't imagine getting out of bed at 2am to eat. Maybe you aren't eating enough during the day, leading to these cravings? Are you feeling deprived prior to the late night eating? Could you have an action plan in place for when the mood strikes, and visualise how you will respond when it happens? Ie picture yourself getting up at 2am, and make a conscious effort to make a cup of herbal tea before you eat anything. Drink your herbal tea (non caffeinated, of course!!!) and spend the time thinking about why you are really craving what you are craving - is it habit? Are you really hungry? You may find that time and space may help quell the desire to eat altogether.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Exhaustion?

I find when I am tired, my resolve all but disappears. I looked it up, (bear with me, I'm not a scientist and I didn't memorize it, this is what I got from the articles I read) and it seems it is related to an evolutionary survival thing about replenishing reserves for the next "battle". (If you are tired, you must have been in some fight or flight situation so you better stock up for the next time.)

The problem (at least in westernized society) with these "instincts" is that we are almost never in need of them anymore. And how many of our ancient ancestors would have been obese? Escaping apex predators would have been pretty much impossible, so the leaner tribe members would have survived.

It's also related to why it is so hard to keep the weight off once you lose it. There are hormones/chemicals that tell you, if you lost all that weight, you are in danger of starving to death - eat, Eat, EAT! Ancient ancestors didn't have the luxury of sitting on the couch or at a desk, with convenient snack machines, fast food, well stocked pantries, cars, etc. The "primitive brain" hasn't caught up with the modern world. Plus, there are parts of the world where these "instincts" are still very much necessary. (Drought, famine, conflict may mean you don't get to eat again for awhile, better get it while you can.)

All of that to say, it's not impossible to get over or around this, just very difficult. That is why the articles talk about getting well rested as a key to losing weight. Some people take a relaxing bath - candles, bubbles, the whole works. Some read; some put on those soothing sounds gadgets. If you must be up at those hours, try to remember you are at your weakest then, and find some way to get to sleep instead.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Yep me too. If I'm tired or bored, especially when I'm alone I find I will be thinking about going to get something to eat. Even more so if I've had a glass of wine or two. My trick is to try and keep small things to hand to snack on that will satisfy what I know will be a sweet craving. So Fibre One bars, fruit, low cal ice cream. If its close to bedtime I'll just go up early and enjoy the extra rest

"Then, afterwards, I will jump right back on to being motivated and being healthy." this is a winning statement. Don't beat yourself up too much. draw a line under it and keep pushing forward

At the end of the day this is a habit. Try and identify the triggers and replace the outcome of eating with something else. Same as you have with quitting smoking.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth and drinking a tall glass of water. Do another activity, like reading a book, to take your mind off food. You could even do a few minutes of relaxing yoga or meditation and then go to bed.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    2nd brushing your teeth, that almost always helps me.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Take a look at what you are eating. If it is mostly carb you might need more protein and fat. If you are trying to lose too fast you might just plain be hungry which often causes a binge. For myself I know if I don't get enough protein or veggies I start eating too much and since I love carbs and they are easy I overeat them.

Make sure you aren't expecting to lose too fast. I'm telling you from years of failing and now finally losing the weight and so far maintaining. Take your time and learn how to do this permanently. One thing we often don't think about when dieting is that we can NEVER go back to eating the way we were before. That means you have to learn a whole new way of living. That takes time and once you get into the rhythm you'll be ok. Trust me it takes time but don't try to rush it.

And incidentally now that I've lost the weight my health has dramatically improved. Blood pressure and blood sugar are normal. You can do this!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Houston, we've all had a problem with food at one time or another.

http://"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSVOnhLtCs[/url]

What kind of protocol are you following. Is it too brutally strict right out the chute. Are you eliminating food groups.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Do you have to live at home? I found it stressful bc my parents had such poor eating habits and my mom was always trying to feed me. Being more independent, and a little poor, was good for me. I didn’t have weight issues after leaving home until a very difficult pregnancy. Maybe find a roommate or a place you can afford on your own.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I can totally identify with your predicament. I, too, have always been an evening and night muncher. I can eat a fairly low amount of calories during the day and sometimes even dinner, but soon after dinner, I get the munchies. I sometimes wake up during the night with a craving for something. Just being aware of it and that it might happen is enough for me to try to take steps to prevent that. Eating something with a good source of protein does help with cravings. The other thing is just to make the commitment to give it a month. They say it takes 3-4 weeks for you to lose some of those cravings. I find that apples are wonderfully filling (for a while), without damaging the diet plan. That fullness only lasts for a bit, but it might be enough to get you over the hump with the craving.
  • amynley
    amynley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All of your answers were great and very helpful! I think stress is definitely a big factor and the biological response to it. I do practice yoga, but it doesn’t always relax me. I used to smoke marijuana and would find that though it normally gives people munchies, it blunted my appetite, but I can’t smoke to relax anymore and I don’t have anyone to cuddle with. Its just so hard to make the right choice in that moment when you know what will make you feel better now and your body is screaming at you to do it. Sometimes I can think to myself, “what else can I do besides eat” and the best I can think of is to stay still and wait for the craving to pass, because my rational brain is just like turned off. The craving will pass, but then it comes right back out of nowhere like I’m being haunted. I try to fill my life with things I enjoy. I play music in a band and volunteer at local gardens and spend time with friends. But its like nothing can do it for me like food can. I feel like I am broken. But I will keep trying. Always.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    If there’s no particular reason for staying up at 2am, just wash your teeth and go to bed. You’ll feel better and more energetic after a good night’s sleep anyway.
    amynley wrote: »
    Sometimes I can think to myself, “what else can I do besides eat” and the best I can think of is to stay still and wait for the craving to pass, because my rational brain is just like turned off. The craving will pass, but then it comes right back out of nowhere like I’m being haunted. I try to fill my life with things I enjoy.

Other ideas for the ”boredom munchies”: going for a walk, watching videos/netflix, flipping through motivational things like Pinterest or these forums, crafts or knitting, download some games on your phone and keep your hands busy with those. Anything that keeps both hands and mind somewhat busy.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at night and I never have, but I do know what it feels like to disregard what your plan is to indulge in chips and cheese. My kryptonite. I eat it almost every day in moderation - most days. It helps to not let myself get hungry to the point of no return and protein is my best ally in that. Maybe eat a little bit of peanut butter on a celery stick before you go to bed. Or maybe fix yourself a tiny portion of chips and cheese before you go to bed, that way the craving is out of the way and you are no longer hungry. Or have a tiny portion stashed ready for you in the middle of night, so instead of denying yourself, you have just taught yourself portion control ahead of time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    amynley wrote: »
    All of your answers were great and very helpful! I think stress is definitely a big factor and the biological response to it. I do practice yoga, but it doesn’t always relax me. I used to smoke marijuana and would find that though it normally gives people munchies, it blunted my appetite, but I can’t smoke to relax anymore and I don’t have anyone to cuddle with. Its just so hard to make the right choice in that moment when you know what will make you feel better now and your body is screaming at you to do it. Sometimes I can think to myself, “what else can I do besides eat” and the best I can think of is to stay still and wait for the craving to pass, because my rational brain is just like turned off. The craving will pass, but then it comes right back out of nowhere like I’m being haunted. I try to fill my life with things I enjoy. I play music in a band and volunteer at local gardens and spend time with friends. But its like nothing can do it for me like food can. I feel like I am broken. But I will keep trying. Always.

I used to feel like something was wrong with me, but it turned out I just needed more protein in relationship to carbs, and more exercise. When I don't get enough protein I can eat and eat and eat and never feel satisfied.

I love yoga, but can't start it if I am the least bit stressed. I generally have to do cardio first.

Gardening relaxes me, but I want to make sure we are defining it the same way. When I garden, I work hard for long stretches of time.