Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Baking literally burns off sugar calories??

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12
    I tried to tag lemurcat12 but she appears to have deactivated?? I thought she'd be interested in this discussion.
    Anyway, tagging to follow.

right. I tried that.
    Page not found
    Sorry, but the page you requested was not found. Please check the URL and try again.

I haven't seen her post in ages, maybe she's gone :disappointed:

As for the article, it's saying the cake you've been eating all along might have a bit less calories than you thought. Cool, but I'm not going to start eating tons of cake and muffins all day. I guess it makes it easier to fit in to my calories, but whether that chocolate muffin is 400 cals or 300 cals, it's still an indulgence!

I know a lot of people think the whole "cooking changes cals" and "cooking and cooling changes cals" etc is something to watch, but I've been tracking my cals for years and I have to think all of this stuff just causes subtle variations that fall within the noise of margin for error.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Anyone else get somewhat annoyed when people get excited by the concept that they can destroy food?

Assuming that this is correct (you certainly can heat sugar enough to carbonize it and basically destroy its caloric value) then all you are doing is wasting it. If you heat sugar enough to the point where it is non-caloric you haven't just magically turned the sweet stuff into zero calorie sweet-stuff, you've turned it into ash. At that point why even add it? Understand that if you have heated sugar enough to make it non-caloric that it will then no longer be sugar, no longer be sweet, and serve no purpose in being in your food. You have just taken a food stuff that someone bothered to cultivate, harvest, turn into a product and provide you to you and you burn it so you don't have to get calories from it. Awesome.

Did you even read the link?

They apparently found that a cake baked with sugar syrup had a few less calories than a cake baked with table sugar. No one was carbonizing anything LOL
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Anyone else get somewhat annoyed when people get excited by the concept that they can destroy food?

Assuming that this is correct (you certainly can heat sugar enough to carbonize it and basically destroy its caloric value) then all you are doing is wasting it. If you heat sugar enough to the point where it is non-caloric you haven't just magically turned the sweet stuff into zero calorie sweet-stuff, you've turned it into ash. At that point why even add it? Understand that if you have heated sugar enough to make it non-caloric that it will then no longer be sugar, no longer be sweet, and serve no purpose in being in your food. You have just taken a food stuff that someone bothered to cultivate, harvest, turn into a product and provide you to you and you burn it so you don't have to get calories from it. Awesome.

They apparently found that a cake baked with sugar syrup had a few less calories than a cake baked with table sugar. No one was carbonizing anything LOL

I read the OP's title and assumed that was what we were talking about.

Also I used logic to assume that what we were talking about was a claim that if you take 100 calories of X and bake it you end up with 80 calories of X. Regardless of how exactly you end up with 80 calories of X the net result of that is that you just lost 20 calories of usable energy. Not sure why that is a positive thing. Pretty sure if you heat sugar enough to remove its caloric value you are either going to break it down (carbonize it) or you are perhaps going to cause it to react with other molecules and maybe form undigestable adducts. Either way you end up with something that isn't sweet and isn't digested so....yeah.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I don't necessarily think they're wrong but I do think that the calorie loss isn't important in the grand scheme of things. Since it's fairly impossible to get a 100% accurate picture of the calories that we eat every day, a 5-8% loss in sugar calories in baked goods won't really make a difference.

What they are saying though is that in a cake with invert sugar, they found the digestible or available calorie content decreased by 36 per cent, while in cake with sucrose, it declined by about 12 per cent.

For people who like cake an additional 24% decrease would seem like a good thing to me.

I haven't read the research so I don't know if it's true or even plausible as I don't like cake so I don't really care. However, if they could do the same thing to potato chips I'd be all ears......

How much cake are you eating? I just looked up a recipe for simple white cake. The sugar contributed slightly less than 800 calories to that recipe (1 cup). Even assuming a 36% decrease in calories for this example, that would equate to about 290 calories.

Over 12 servings, that reduction is equal to about 25 calories per slice. Not necessarily a calorie windfall, all things considered. You'll probably get more variance in calories from the size of the eggs or precision of measurement on the other ingredients.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options

I read the OP's title and assumed that was what we were talking about.

Also I used logic to assume that what we were talking about was a claim that if you take 100 calories of X and bake it you end up with 80 calories of X. Regardless of how exactly you end up with 80 calories of X the net result of that is that you just lost 20 calories of usable energy. Not sure why that is a positive thing. Pretty sure if you heat sugar you are either going to break it down (carbonize it) or you are perhaps going to cause it to react with other molecules and maybe form undigestable adducts. Either way you end up with something that isn't sweet and isn't digested so....yeah.

No me neither really just the modern world I guess.

My Grandfather got paid for his sweat. I pay a gym to sweat.

He paid a significant part of his salary to feed his family. I pay for diet Coke because it has no calories.

Also to be fair journalists spin science all the time. The researches were probably just researching.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Science journalism is dead. Journalism is undead...or vampires...or whatever is lower than death.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12
    I tried to tag lemurcat12 but she appears to have deactivated?? I thought she'd be interested in this discussion.

right. I tried that.
    Page not found
    Sorry, but the page you requested was not found. Please check the URL and try again.

Weird. Hope she's ok.

Very weird. I tried to send her a PM but the app removed her name and asked me for one.
    I hope she's okay as well.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found

Weird. Hope she's ok.

Very weird. I tried to send her a PM but the app removed her name and asked me for one.
    I hope she's okay as well.

:disappointed:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found

Weird. Hope she's ok.

She's alive and well. Just not here.

^ Yep.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found

Weird. Hope she's ok.

I'm really glad to hear that, thank you.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I don't necessarily think they're wrong but I do think that the calorie loss isn't important in the grand scheme of things. Since it's fairly impossible to get a 100% accurate picture of the calories that we eat every day, a 5-8% loss in sugar calories in baked goods won't really make a difference.

What they are saying though is that in a cake with invert sugar, they found the digestible or available calorie content decreased by 36 per cent, while in cake with sucrose, it declined by about 12 per cent.

For people who like cake an additional 24% decrease would seem like a good thing to me.

I haven't read the research so I don't know if it's true or even plausible as I don't like cake so I don't really care. However, if they could do the same thing to potato chips I'd be all ears......

I don't know any cake where the total sugar even makes up 36% of the calories. There's a whole lot of fat and starch in there.

It was only 36% of the calories from Sugar I believe NOT the total calories. I'm just quoting what they said.......

Well, that sounds quite a bit less impressive than reducing available calories by 36%.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found

Weird. Hope she's ok.

That's good to know, thanks. Will miss her thoughts on the forums.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found

Weird. Hope she's ok.

I have only been on very sporadically, but yesterday noticed that she was gone from my friends list, and was very, very sad. She will definitely be missed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found

Weird. Hope she's ok.

Thanks for letting us know!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found

Weird. Hope she's ok.

:relieved::smile:
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found

Weird. Hope she's ok.

@bpetrosky if you have other contact info for her would you show her this thread? I miss her too!

I think she's seen this thread as a non-logged in viewer. I miss her here too.
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, no.

It doesn't get hot enough to alter the molecular makeup.

Browning = caramelization or maillard reaction (sugars and proteins respectively as I recall). Those are both a molecular change.

Maybe you mean it doesn't alter it enough to have a significant effect?