Plantar Fasciitis.... tips?

Options
13»

Replies

• Chris8122
    Chris8122 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Find a physical therapist or chiropractor that does “cupping” I had it done about 4 times and have been pain free for several years.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Planter fasciitis related exercises helped me a lot. When my dad had it (91 year old), he bought new pair of shoes with lot of cushion support and it went away with in a few weeks. Diligent stretches and exercises, shoes with good cushion will all help. Hope you feel better soon.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I had a podiatrist who sent to an amazing physical therapist, and this is what they did that worked for me - I don't wear inserts any more, pretty much go barefoot on hard floors most of the day, actually, as long as I keep my weight in check, so it really worked well, IMHO.

Same as many have said, first - rest, if possible, ice, anti-inflammatory meds.
    - I, too, can't do NSAIDs. Instead, what I do now (if weigth goes up and it flares up), I looked up some anti-inflammatory foods and add them in large amounts to my diet. It ends up being mostly a lot of fresh herbs and some greens, and that does help some.

Also, they taped up my feet in a specific way that helped support the tissues in question (basically like a tape-based lift, pretty much) - this is close to the method - https://heelthatpain.com/plantar-fasciitis/plantar-fasciitis-taping/ My therapist, though, skipped the x part and didn't tape the heel. Basically tape around the side of the foot, the back, and up the other side - this is the support. Then tape the middle and pull it a little tight, from around the end of the ball of the foot to the beginning of the heel. The tightness of the tape mattered. Too loose, and you get no support, too tight and it was painful to the tissues and not good. You'll feelt it when it's right - it feels better to walk on. If you can get some wax, and wax over the tape to keep it on well, it can last a couple days.

Next, there were exercises, but I was cautioned to NOT start exercise until there was NO pain. Otherwise, you might as well be walking on your poor feet, because it just hurts them. Rolling with the tennis ball, or picking up pencils with toes was one. Stretching was a big thing too, but only if you are really tight along the back of your legs (I was, so this contributed to the plantar fasciitis - it's not helpful if you aren't tight there), like doing that stretch where you stand on a step and let your heels hang off the edge, going up on your toes, then down until heels are lower than the step you are standing on. Also calf stretches can help in that regard, too.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I learned how to tape my feet, was diligent for months, when the weight went away the foot pain did, too. Took a long while, though.