justifying little mini binge

Options
yesterday I went over by 250 calories. Today i am going through my calories quicker than normal and could easily run out. There is more candy around than usual because of some my son had in a big bowl and didn't want to take with him on a move (he is trying to cut back). I also indulged because I knew justification was coming. I am going to move yesterdays overage to today even though that will drop me really low for any dinner, but the justification is coming - I am paddling about 3 hours tonight. Paddling hard on a SUP, probably in the touring range:
calorie-burn-info1-620x350.jpg

So I will make it all disappear and have plenty of calories for dinner. I kinda feel like I should have used it on something more nutritious. No doubt the people who believe the woo about added sugar being evil think I will be dead by morning. I am torn as to whether it is a slippery slope or not. I don't think it will turn into a full fledged binge; I know the stuff is going away and I know I will effectively erase the overage anyway, but I haven't allowed myself this much junk in so little time since I started my loss.

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I rolled the overage from yesterday into today and made it even. I will log only part of the exercise this afternoon but probably still end the day even. unless something happens to keep me from paddling (weather is good, no conflicts, have all my gear with me). It still somehow feels wrong because of all the time I have avoided doing this.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    When I started maintaining one of the hardest things I had to learn was balance. After a long time in a deficit, it was difficult to convince myself that a day or two (or six) over didn't mean I was immediately going to gain all the weight back.

If you enjoyed the candy and it all works out in your week, then relax. You can drive yourself absolutely nuts trying to be perfect all the time.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    There's really no need to justify an overage. It is what it is and is negligible in a day as long as your net weekly goal is still on track. The long running average is a bit more reliable than the day to day stuff.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is a lifelong process. Not every day is going to be perfect. As long as you're on par with your diet most of the time, don't sweat the one offs.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    And one of my kids did something that I had to deal with and didn't get to meet up with the group to paddle. I can just go over and deal with it tomorrow.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    And one of my kids did something that I had to deal with and didn't get to meet up with the group to paddle. I can just go over and deal with it tomorrow.

Yep... that's where the problem lies with "I'll make up for it later". ;)

I actually agree with the point people have been making that 250 calories one day is not worth worrying about and to take a long-range view. *Except* that my own experience with sweets tells me diligence is really required.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Yep... that's where the problem lies with "I'll make up for it later". ;)

I actually agree with the point people have been making that 250 calories one day is not worth worrying about and to take a long-range view. *Except* that my own experience with sweets tells me diligence is really required.

Actually, as of now I am even. I had rolled forward the overage from yesterday and then snacked to where I had almost nothing left for today, thinking I would earn my dinner calories. I should eat and roll it and try to get out and paddle tomorrow.