New to MyFitness!

Heya there! I’m Jayleen, I’m 20 years old and I am trying to take my health a little more seriously. I’m a beginner not only to this app, but to fitness and dieting/eat better as well. I signed up for a gym and I have not gone as much as I would like, but for the days I do not I replace it with more walking and bike rides instead of taking public transportation (I have a citibike membership). Anyway, I am super excited to be sharing any progress I make on this app and receiving support and encouragement from what seems like a lovely community. If anyone has any advice for a beginner, it can be about general lifestyle or specifics like food and working out, please don’t hesitate to let me know! I really want to turn myself around into the right direction and I know with your help, I can.
Thank you in advance and I look forward to being apart of your journeys as well! ♥️

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Congrats on getting started. I started about 2 years ago and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. Start with small changes and educating yourself: Learn what a serving size truly is. Get a food scale. Learn how to read nutrition labels. Understand that calories and carbs are not your enemy. If you are hungry you need to eat. Make smart decisions about your calorie intake. A bag of chips and sugary drinks will wipe out calorie allowances quickly. Exercise is important but weight loss is something like 80% nutrition. Food wise I do something like this on an average day:

Breakfast:

4 Eggs
    Hass avocado
    Seasonal fruit

Snack:

Apple

Lunch:

8oz baked chicken breast
    2 baked potato
    Corn

Snack:

Carrot

Dinner:

Something with protein and vege to hit needed calorie counts.

I tend to eat minimally processed type foods and generally I'm seeking calories each day to get to where I need to be on weight lifting type days. You will get a lot of different views on these boards. Take the time to read and don't fall for nonsense diets and unscientific noise. Read the CICO thread and decide for yourself if its something for you. If not there still is a lot of good content there.

Good luck!