Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How does the body fuel itself?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    edit function seems to be malfunctioning.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This response fit in both threads so I am quoting it here:
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The glory of fat is that it is a concentrated food source that takes a complicated round of metabolic processes to convert it to glucose. It takes hours.

This is what makes fat consumption good for the brain. It’s a steady source of calories even hours after eating.

Undiagnosed diabetes can also result in brain fog.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    what you said basically agrees with what I've said. Whatever fuel the body is used to using is the preferred fuel.
    No, I basically did not. For you to think that indicates that you either have severe reading comprehension problems or your confirmation bias has made you so delusional that you hear what you want to hear.
    From AnvilHead
    If glucose is available, the brain will not utilize ketones. Glucose is the preferred fuel and if it's available, the brain will use it exclusively.

This is essentially what I said. If both fuel substrates are available, the brain will use glucose. Full stop.

That is defined as preferential. It's not what one the body is used to using. That is a misinterpretation of physiology at best and a blatant misrepresentation at worst. This is where some of you who are practitioners of keto go off the deep end and lose all credibility for what could be a potentially valuable dietary tool for some. You twist the truth. Or, lose site of it.

Glucose is ALWAYS available in the body for use. Full stop.

Despite the fact that glucose is always present in the body, the brain does not always rely on glucose for fuel even though both fuels are available... well, all three fuels if you consider what @tennisdude2004 pointed out. It comes down to the main fuel source - your body is not making ketones from dietary or body fat for brain fuel purposes when you are providing it with lots of glucose.

I do not have less glucose circulating in my body than someone else of the same size who uses carbs as their primary fuel; we might even have the same blood glucose measurements - mine's around a 5.3. My brain is not preferentially using glucose as its main fuel though.

The basic glucose needs of the body is around 130g, but the basic glucose needs of someone who is fat adapted is closer to 40g. Someone on a higher carb diet could stop eating, completely, and not die before fat adapted (or within a day) because the liver can make at least 130g of glucose a day... that should be enough for the brain.... but the brain is not always using glucose for it's fuel. Even though it is always available.

And no need to start being insulting. I understand what you are trying to say. I just don't agree with you. It's not that horrible of a thing. Really.

Basal glucose requirements are always available. And when depleted to that level, your body will use a secondary fuel source for your brain..... Its cheaper than the energy required to create more glucose through glucenogenesis.

Its the difference between minimal levels for optimal levels.

I sort of agree. ;) Basal glucose is always available and it can more than meets our basic needs. You can see that in some people who eat keto, train keto, and still have a bit high fasting glucose the next day. I just meant to point out that when fat or ketones are used in a fat adapted individual , it's not because you've run out of glucose. Eventually fat and ketones is a well used fuel for the body.

And when did glucose become the primary fuel source for humans? I'm not really asking you, just wondering in general. Is it just because of what north Americans mostly eat for fuel? I think infants and exclusively breast fed babies are mildly ketogenic, aren't they?

IDK, I'm still of the opinion that whatever fuel your body is adapted to is the primary and "preferred" fuel for that individual. I don't think I'm stressing my body out by having it rely on fat and ketones for most fuel (even though glucose is present), nor do I think your body is unhealthy for relying on glucose most of the time (even though fat is present).
    Also, having huge carb refeeds prior to an event is more CKD. ;)

Huge carb refeeds (with depleted glycogen between carb loads) is definitely more CKD. TKD is typically used more by endurance athletes - a topping off of glycogen as it were - about 30 minutes before activity. CKD is more often used for lifters trying to make gains... As I understand it.

This is the most accurate post on this thread. And other posts here by nvmomketo and tennisdude2004. The other attempts of rebuttal by the anti keto posse is just more typical glucose/cico/anti keto brainwashing attempts and old, weak, disproved theories. Get with the times and new proven science lol.... so obvious it's laughable some of the arguments people try to use against it here. Glucose is exactly that...one energy source that a lot of people's body uses cause that is what most people stuff themselves with all day long. Do you think that was humans main energy source was back in the day when you all didn't have such easy access to the garbage carbs you are feeding yourselves with now days. Do you think when humans ate mostly fat and protein their bodies metabolisms ran the same as your high carb metabolism does?? No, give your heads a shake. Common sense and common knowledge. Keeping your heads in the sands won't get rid of the truth. Give your body another source of energy/nutrition and that's what it uses for the energy. Proven by millions of low carb/keto eating people all over the world every day of the year. Time to get over it forum posse bullies lol. Glad to see so many people on this forum showing up from all over the world learning about and living keto and how glucose has been killing people all over the world in astronomically rising numbers every day. Type 2 Diabetes has never been higher and not just in adults and the elderly anymore; children and teens with it are increasing in crazy numbers like never before.

And 'there's no high performance athletes that are low carb' LOL!!! Do you not read, or do you not have a computer?

Rather than be the one to ask for sources, irony of your insults, etc....etc...etc...

I've become more interested in....how in the hell were you able to edit your post 6 hours after initially posting it?

Editing to verify that indeed, mine says we have an hour.

More likely case is that it wasn't he who edited it.
This discussion has been closed.