Replies

• RickMckc
    RickMckc Posts: 38
    Options
    What AmerTunsi said.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it for one second. If I am under my calories EVERY single day - how can it say I will weigh MORE than I weigh now in 5 weeks?

That doesn't make any sense to me (I actually commented to my daughter about this tonight when I closed out my diary with 90 calories left and it said I would weigh 4lbs MORE in 5 weeks if I kept eating this way... huh?).

I disregard it to be honest.

Actually, it could be accurate. The calories they give you is based on the theory that if you eat this amount today, taking into account your activity and current weight .. you will drop this amount per week. However, it is common knowledge that if you go below a certain caloric intake continuously, your bodies metabolism slows down and begins to go into starvation mode, thus turning everything you eat into fat as apart of survival. However, with MFP's philosophy of eating back calories .... the number of calories needed to be consumed goes against the traditional "do not drop below 1,200 calories" philosophy. But MFP believes that you WILL drop below 1,200 calories if you don't eat back your calories because what you burned can drop you below your net of 1,200. it's confusing but it does make sense in the end why it believes that you will gain weight.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it for one second. If I am under my calories EVERY single day - how can it say I will weigh MORE than I weigh now in 5 weeks?

That doesn't make any sense to me (I actually commented to my daughter about this tonight when I closed out my diary with 90 calories left and it said I would weigh 4lbs MORE in 5 weeks if I kept eating this way... huh?).

I know my body's comfortable range for calories and I stick to that range. :) I know that I HAVE to be between 2200-2500 NET calories a day. Today, I'm at 2210 - with the possibility I may have something more to eat before bed.

As long as I'm above 2200, I'm just fine. :)

And I don't see how I could gain 4lbs in 5 weeks staying in my range.

Like I said, I disregard it because for me - it isn't accurate. I was 143.5lbs this morning and have been maintaining 143-145lbs for the last few months. :)
    It actually is possible IF you are not consuming enough calories to keep your body going and thus the body begins to conserve the fat because it believes it is starving. This would depend on how much you are under and how often you do this.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Actually, it could be accurate. The calories they give you is based on the theory that if you eat this amount today, taking into account your activity and current weight .. you will drop this amount per week. However, it is common knowledge that if you go below a certain caloric intake continuously, your bodies metabolism slows down and begins to go into starvation mode, thus turning everything you eat into fat as apart of survival. However, with MFP's philosophy of eating back calories .... the number of calories needed to be consumed goes against the traditional "do not drop below 1,200 calories" philosophy. But MFP believes that you WILL drop below 1,200 calories if you don't eat back your calories because what you burned can drop you below your net of 1,200. it's confusing but it does make sense in the end why it believes that you will gain weight.

I'm in maintenance. I am not losing weight. I know that 2200-2500 NET calories is my normal range. It is where I have been for the last few months. I've been maintaining 143-145lbs while staying in that range. Today, I am at 2210 (while I may end up eating more later). So, I am within my range -- there's NO WAY I'm going to gain 4lbs in 5 weeks eating in my range.
  • karisbrandes
    karisbrandes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    5 weeks ago I actually did write down the number it gave me and this morning I weighed myself and the number matched! 6lbs down!
  • justimogen
    Options
    It's been fairly accurate, for me.

Five weeks ago, it estimated me at about 274.3 (if I take the average from that week). My last two weigh-ins were 274 and 272.5.
  • mghane
    mghane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Imma try it starting today :) So I'll let ya'll know if 5 weeks!
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I actually like it. It's not meant to be an exact predictor of anything! For me it's motivational, on those days I eat above my calorie limit and I see "in 5 weeks you will weigh [insert bad number here]" it helps me get back on track. Conversely, seeing the lower number when I meet my calorie goal is also motivating.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I really like it. It keeps me going :)
  • glambeauty
    glambeauty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I actually find it motavating too.
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I actually like it. It's not meant to be an exact predictor of anything! For me it's motivational, on those days I eat above my calorie limit and I see "in 5 weeks you will weigh [insert bad number here]" it helps me get back on track. Conversely, seeing the lower number when I meet my calorie goal is also motivating.

this!
  • skinz2k2
    skinz2k2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's like a friend telling you to stay consistent. I find having those little reminders motivating.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yep it is pretty accurate on a normal day. I doubt it takes metabolism into account, or build or height, so it is a bit crude but basically a fair indication for most people most of the time.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I track all of my in my food notes and have been averageing them and really the average seems to be right on the money for me at least this 5week period. (next week will mark my 5 weeks on mfp).
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm not consistant enough. So for me it's not accurate.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

I find it to be the same :) It's a constant reminder that if you do well you will be rewarded and if you don't... then you won't!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I stopped completing my diary b/c this annoyed me so much. I still enter my foods, I just don't click complete. I've tested it, and my body does not understand basic math.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It's like the crossing light button......just something to push. :-)

lets me know when im doin stuff right & when im wrong. :0)
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I find it to be the same :) It's a constant reminder that if you do well you will be rewarded and if you don't... then you won't!

ME TOO!
  • jah1165
    jah1165 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do not think that this works at all....I have been under my calories and working out daily and although it say I will weigh XXX by 5 weeks but I have lost nothing and today actually gained so I think it is just a ploy to keep you motivated.....But it sort of works in that respect I guess the motivation