Food for acid reflux?

Options
13»

Replies

• Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar helps my heartburn. I was on a daily dose of ranitidine (sp?) years ago, but started taking ACV. Now, I'm off all meds and only experience the heartburn MAYBE 2-3 times a year. I just take the ACV when I feel the burn, and it goes away within a few hours. I don't *think* I have changed my diet all too much, as I am a creature of habit, but there may be other factors that have supported this change as well.

Note: I am not a medical professional, this may be "woo," and I do not promote it over seeking medical advice :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Dani9585 wrote: »
    Apple cider vinegar helps my heartburn. I was on a daily dose of ranitidine (sp?) years ago, but started taking ACV. Now, I'm off all meds and only experience the heartburn MAYBE 2-3 times a year. I just take the ACV when I feel the burn, and it goes away within a few hours. I don't *think* I have changed my diet all too much, as I am a creature of habit, but there may be other factors that have supported this change as well.

Note: I am not a medical professional, this may be "woo," and I do not promote it over seeking medical advice :)

Nope. Woo is a claim that is universal or dogmatic.

Yours is an interesting anecdote clearly caveated with an implied YMMV
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I had reflux when I was fat - I had an upper endoscopy done. They prescribed some Rx stuff (can't remember what...I want to say Prilosec?) I never took it. I lost weight and the reflux went away. In that time during weight loss I tried to eat a light last meal, and no carbonated drinks in the afternoon or evening. That helped a lot.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    in rare cases, it is a symptom
    that was just one article. i'm not speaking to the validity of the source but there were many similar articles claiming the same thing
    like a toothache can be a sign of heart disease (Frasier)

Are you an oncologist?

Are you?

Just because you give smart a** comments doesn’t mean everyone does.
    I was sicerely asking because it is not one of those cancers that’s covered as much. Steve Jobs’ death brought some light on it, but it’s not like googling breast cancer. My mother died of it. That’s why I’m interested in it. Alerting someone to be an advocate for their health is not hunting unicorns. I hope whatever has made you so cynical gets better.

Hunting unicorns is hunting unicorns.

I'm sorry about for your loss, but that doesn't change the fact that pancreatic cancer is a unicorn. Especially when compared with breast cancer.

Hunting unicorns makes great TV(Thanks House), but it's not advisable as a lifestyle choice.

I’ve never seen House.
    I’m not going to stop encouraging people to be strong advocates for their health.
    Again I’m sorry for whatever is troubling you.

My husband has had GERD since he was a child, as has his mom and his uncle. None of them have ever had pancreatic cancer (although that scares anyone!!!). It's a genetic condition. I'm not sure there is any link between inherited GERD and acid reflux and this cancer.. husband has always been a very healthy weight up until recently he's only 10 lbs overweight or so. And his uncle and mom are in good shape.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here suffer from acid reflux, and if so, what do you eat? I'm a very picky eater as it is, and this is limiting my food options even more, so I'm at a loss as to what I can actually eat without making it worse.

For me, high fat meals are a trigger. I eat chocolate sparingly....not a bad thing. Lower acid (higher PH) apples are Fuji & gala. I'm fine with bananas (some people aren't). Oatmeal (which should be a good thing) gives me terrible heartburn. I love it, but I always pay. Eating before bed has to be something very light. Diet A&W root beer is so much better than Diet Coke.

There are books .....Dropping Acid is one. I've read it, but it still comes down to trial and error.
  • barnettskylar15
    barnettskylar15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have chronic gastritis for going on 5 months and it is AWFUL. I completely avoid soft drinks, fast food, and anything fried. I also cut out 90% of processed foods. Basically fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein(chicken and ground turkey for me), as well as brown rice and quinoa. It can get boring, but it’s better than being in pain.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Dani9585 wrote: »

Nope. Woo is a claim that is universal or dogmatic.

Yours is an interesting anecdote clearly caveated with an implied YMMV

Half the people on here use “woo” as a positive. Just thought you might like to know.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    You might want to try betaine HCL or try mineral drops with chloride to boost stomach acid production if your stomach acid is too weak.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here suffer from acid reflux, and if so, what do you eat? I'm a very picky eater as it is, and this is limiting my food options even more, so I'm at a loss as to what I can actually eat without making it worse.

I do, but mine is triggered by not eating enough, rather than by any given food. I had to stop intermittent fasting because of it.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    PLEASE please please Anyone who suffers from chronic GERD Please get your PANCREAS checked for cancer.
    It is a deadly cancer because it’s rarely noticed before it has spread to other organs. It most often presents as acid reflux first. Please. Insist on testing.

Unicorns, zebras or horses?

Zebra. If medication doesn't help within 30days, it's not going to hurt you to know you don't have cancer.
    No, I am not an oncologist, but my bosses are (I work for a health system, but mostly for the cancer docs.) and it is a sign that people often ignore too long. It's also a sign of esophageal cancer.
    For the poster who asked what if your family has always had it: My dad always had heart burn. His sister did too. He's had several polyps removed from his esophagus. She had liver cancer. Her son died of esophageal cancer. I can control mine by eating smaller meals more often, but next year, my doc will have me scoped because family history is a huge clue.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    in rare cases, it is a symptom
    that was just one article. i'm not speaking to the validity of the source but there were many similar articles claiming the same thing
    like a toothache can be a sign of heart disease (Frasier)

Are you an oncologist?

Are you?

Just because you give smart a** comments doesn’t mean everyone does.
    I was sicerely asking because it is not one of those cancers that’s covered as much. Steve Jobs’ death brought some light on it, but it’s not like googling breast cancer. My mother died of it. That’s why I’m interested in it. Alerting someone to be an advocate for their health is not hunting unicorns. I hope whatever has made you so cynical gets better.

Hunting unicorns is hunting unicorns.

I'm sorry about for your loss, but that doesn't change the fact that pancreatic cancer is a unicorn. Especially when compared with breast cancer.

Hunting unicorns makes great TV(Thanks House), but it's not advisable as a lifestyle choice.

Pancreatic cancer is not a unicorn, unfortunately; it's a zebra. A deadly zebra because people check every other GI disease first.
    Breast cancer is a horse, though. Actually, it's lots of different breeds of horses, and because so much money has been poured into research we can cure most of them with relative ease now. Even the dreaded triple negative breast cancer with no hormone receptors is more treatable than pancreatic cancer.
  • MishMashMisha
    MishMashMisha Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have chronic gastritis for going on 5 months and it is AWFUL. I completely avoid soft drinks, fast food, and anything fried. I also cut out 90% of processed foods. Basically fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein(chicken and ground turkey for me), as well as brown rice and quinoa. It can get boring, but it’s better than being in pain.

I had the same. I spent about four months on a PPI until the gastritis cleared up, slowly weened myself off it, then another three months popping tums to combat the lingering reflux issues. Tomato-based foods and coffee were a big trigger for me. I couldn't give up the coffee, but I stopped drinking it on an empty stomach and I cut way back tomato-y things. I'm mostly back to normal now.

OP: I found that bananas and almonds were good snacks to soothe my stomach.