The Magic Pill - Netflix Doc

Options
ellie7187
ellie7187 Posts: 84 Member
Has anyone watched the Netflix doc “The Magic Pill”?

It’s a doc about the Keto diet and it’s anecdotal (it even uses the term anecdotal in the opening) health benefits. A very interesting and compelling documentary for sure. Albeit, I’m not jumping on the Keto train because of it haha.

Made me wonder who here has seen it (and what did you think)? And for those that follow a Keto diet do you do it for weight loss or for other supposed health benefits?

Replies

• ellie7187
    ellie7187 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I too like carbs WAY too much to give them up for a diet. Only “diet” that’s ever worked for me is CICO. This “doc” was just the first I’d heard of Keto for anything other than weight loss. Admittedly, I had no idea what it was about and started watching thinking it would be a doc about the weight loss pill market and propaganda therein, etc.

But given how polarizing the topic of Keto is on these message boards I was curious to see if anyone here following Keto is doing it for non-weight loss issues (as I’ve only seen weight loss discussed before).

For the record, I didn’t say I bought in to the doc. Just that it was interesting. Wanted to clear that up after all those woo’s haha.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    most documentaries are propoganda. a film maker sees something and says well that's a story. sort of like doing an experiment with a solution already in mind. it's not just netflix.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to eating a balanced diet? Lol I won't lie, 2 years ago I would have fell for the horse kitten.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    I too like carbs WAY too much to give them up for a diet. Only “diet” that’s ever worked for me is CICO. This “doc” was just the first I’d heard of Keto for anything other than weight loss. Admittedly, I had no idea what it was about and started watching thinking it would be a doc about the weight loss pill market and propaganda therein, etc.

But given how polarizing the topic of Keto is on these message boards I was curious to see if anyone here following Keto is doing it for non-weight loss issues (as I’ve only seen weight loss discussed before).

For the record, I didn’t say I bought in to the doc. Just that it was interesting. Wanted to clear that up after all those woo’s haha.

TBH, I think most people who stick with keto do so for the health benefits they experience. I know it's partially why I continue with it. That and the appetite reducing effect that I experience Eating everything in moderation is simpler, more socially acceptable and tasty. I'd do again it if it worked for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Not everybody thinks so highly of it: https://synapses.co.za/the-magic-pill-pete-evans-does-documentary/

Netflix "documentaries" are nothing but one-sided hack job propaganda pieces full of hype, fearmongering and pseudoscience. And this one is no exception.

I saw Pete Evens and immediately put it on my do not watch list.

I avoid anything by/promoted by the same "quack" who publishes recipes for paleo baby formula (which is actually harmful due to high levels of vitamin A in bone broth) and discourages the use of suncreen in a country with one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.

Okay rant over, feeling much better now o:)

Yeah, i think most Aussies can't stand Pete Evans, myself included :rage:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Documentaries in general, not just those on Netflix, are created because someone wants to look into a subject. Often what happens is they end up bringing in their own bias and the information is all skewed to a specific view point. Documentaries should not be the end all be all of information. They are not bad per say, but they should be taking with a grain of salt and the viewer should do additional research to find out the WHOLE story, not just the story they want you to see.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    sstatia wrote: »
    I have watched it!! What an eye opener

Also said by some who watched:

What the Health
    Vegucated
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead 1 and 2

Etc, etc, etc