Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• kittrelle
    Options
    Hey guys! question time again. My husband and I do not have the book would it be useful to us or can we get all the info we need online through various websites....also I was wondering about the carb smart ice cream, any reviews? This thread has been such a lifesaver you all rock!
    DEFINITELY get the book. There's so much info in it...it will save you time when all you have to do is grab it and look...besides, you KNOW how things can get confusing when you hear it secondhand. It's a good reference tool... as far as the carb smart ice cream goes, Dr. Atkins really pushes eating whole, real foods. I think if you looked at the ingredients, you'd be amazed . You're better off making your own ice cream with real cream, splenda, and a natural flavoring... Here's a recipe someone gave me on an Atkins Bulletin Board site, it's dangerously good!

In a mixing bowl:
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    2 Truvia packets
    2 tsp cocoa powder
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Mix with hand mixer until the consistency of whipped cream. Put in a sandwich size ziplock. Then in a large gallon ziplock, fill it half full of ice, add 6 tablespoons of rock salt, and the bag-o-ice cream. Wearing mittens, shake and roll around for 5 minutes."

I did it with regular salt and left out the vanilla and it was yummy. Of course, you can use an ice cream maker if you have one.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Anybody here use recipies like kittrelle's, specifically the heavy whipping cream, have lactose issues? If so, what do you take to prevent or ease them?
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    @hpsnickers1 - Nice reply. I do read Mark's Apples, too.
  • chelscc
    chelscc Posts: 29
    Options
    This weekend has been craving free so far! Does anyone know what fat grams to shoot for in the induction phase? I eat a lot of eggs like 4-6 a day and that tends to push up how much fat I'm eating. I'm losing well right now but I don't want to slow down for any stupid reasons.
  • pork_belly
    Options
    This weekend has been craving free so far! Does anyone know what fat grams to shoot for in the induction phase? I eat a lot of eggs like 4-6 a day and that tends to push up how much fat I'm eating. I'm losing well right now but I don't want to slow down for any stupid reasons.

You don't watch anything but carb intake which is limited to 20g during the induction phase. Another beauty of the Atkins diet. I eat 3-6 eggs a day. The protein helps keep your hunger at bay.
  • chelscc
    Options

You don't watch anything but carb intake which is limited to 20g during the induction phase. Another beauty of the Atkins diet.

Thanks! That's what I thought. The diet has changed so much compared to the first time I did it 12 years ago that I wanted to check. I don't have one of the newer books to reference only an older.
  • snikrepa2003
    Options
    OK GUYS I am really down about things. Why would I be gaining weight, I have not been putting on muscle lately as I haven't felt well and stopped excersizing..don't shun me :P But I do have some lbs to lose and they are just not coming off. I keep the fake sugar minimal and the diet soda minimal as well. I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I have been adding calories lately to see if my body has been in starvation mode and idk....my husband is gaining weight too. Seriously check our diaries out I'm not overloading it. I have never had an issue once I started different eating plans where the weigh loss just stopped for 3 weeks. It is wierd that both my husband and I stopped t the same time. Has anyone else gained weight on this diet. Oh btw I we are still on Induction, still in Ketosis and wonder why moving up the rung might help. Any feedback would be so great.

I promise I say all of this in a non whiny voice- I'm just mad!
  • pork_belly
    Options
    I am interested in starting atkins, but I don't have the book or the money for ketone strips. I am a broke college student. I have found the information about what foods you can eat on each phase of the diet on the Atkins web site.

You can find the book at your local library. You can also find the books at thrift stores for as low as $1.00. The ketone strips are a good way to be able see that your body is actually burning fat, but not necessary. After you go thru your first batch you never buy them anymore.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    OK GUYS I am really down about things. Why would I be gaining weight, I have not been putting on muscle lately as I haven't felt well and stopped excersizing..don't shun me :P But I do have some lbs to lose and they are just not coming off. I keep the fake sugar minimal and the diet soda minimal as well. I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I have been adding calories lately to see if my body has been in starvation mode and idk....my husband is gaining weight too. Seriously check our diaries out I'm not overloading it. I have never had an issue once I started different eating plans where the weigh loss just stopped for 3 weeks. It is wierd that both my husband and I stopped t the same time. Has anyone else gained weight on this diet. Oh btw I we are still on Induction, still in Ketosis and wonder why moving up the rung might help. Any feedback would be so great.

What's your exercise look like? Is your diary accurate? How are you feeling overall? Normal or are you feeling lethargic / rundown?
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I took a look at your food diary. I noticed a few things.I would try to eat more veggies. I try to get 2 cups of veggies at every meal and this has worked wonders for me in the past. It has improved over the past few days (mainly due to the addition of the Atkins bar), but you had been coming up way short on fiber. Eating your veggies should fix that and keep you regular. Plus veggies have nutrients which provide additional weight loss benefits. Try a veggie omelet for breakfast with spinach, mushrooms, peppers and cheese of your choice. Yummy! Next, MFP is full of people who tell stories of how they had stalled weight loss until they started eating more and then presto the weight started coming off again. You are consistently coming up short on calories so you should see how you fare by adding some extra calories. I say try to eat all 1,500. Finally, you might want to try eating more fat. Fat is really important to the low-carb dieter. Some days you seem to get enough, but other days you really don't get very much. The Atkins diet is supposed to be around 65% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs (I think I got those right). For the next few weeks I would try to keep to these percentages and see how you do with weight loss.

Here is a calculator that you can use to figure out how much fat and protein you should eat! Good luck!

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Well if you want to eat away all your brain cells on atkins. . . . ie no carbs for the brain to survive on .. . . that is up to you.
    [snarky comment removed] Please go read a book and learn how your brain gets its fuel before making ridiculous comments.
  • LASH3S
    LASH3S Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi All.. i just spent the last ccouple hours reading this thread.. I am thinking of doing this. my fiance SWEARS by atkins..
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options

I looked at your diary as well and I just need to tell you. EAT ! Get some veggies in there. I know I don't like MOST veggies but even if it's just green beans or brocolli and cheese I mean eat them! I can tell you from personal experience when I was 240 down to 180 my calories were above 2000 every day. I lost 60 lbs in 7 months. Now, everyone is different but if you have a lot to lose you can't do low carb low calorie. Or lets just say...it didn't work for me. I had to keep the protein in there which upped my calories. Back then I was using fitday. But with every change you do you have to give it time to work. So try upping your calories for a week but also add in a lot more veggies. If you have to add butter or cheese do so. But try to keep the fake food to a minimum. Eggs are great. Make some deviled eggs to snack on. Don't go more than 3 hrs without eating something full of protein. But give it 7 days. Then measure and weigh! OH and DRINK lots of WATER . I can give you tons of recipes too if you need them. Just tell me some ideas of what you like to eat and I can give you low carb alternatives that are better than the original. I'm in the OWL phase and am still losing 0.5 to 1 lb a week which is fine with me. I do have to watch my calories now but I"m very close to goal so then calories do count. In the beginning when you have a lot to lose..not so much. Good luck.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi All.. i just spent the last ccouple hours reading this thread.. I am thinking of doing this. my fiance SWEARS by atkins..

Hi and welcome! Atkins, if done properly is a wonderful way of life. If you're seriously considering it, check out atkins' website and register there. You'll get a free kit. :)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary as well and I just need to tell you. EAT ! Get some veggies in there. I know I don't like MOST veggies but even if it's just green beans or brocolli and cheese I mean eat them! I can tell you from personal experience when I was 240 down to 180 my calories were above 2000 every day. I lost 60 lbs in 7 months. Now, everyone is different but if you have a lot to lose you can't do low carb low calorie. Or lets just say...it didn't work for me. I had to keep the protein in there which upped my calories. Back then I was using fitday. But with every change you do you have to give it time to work. So try upping your calories for a week but also add in a lot more veggies. If you have to add butter or cheese do so. But try to keep the fake food to a minimum. Eggs are great. Make some deviled eggs to snack on. Don't go more than 3 hrs without eating something full of protein. But give it 7 days. Then measure and weigh! OH and DRINK lots of WATER . I can give you tons of recipes too if you need them. Just tell me some ideas of what you like to eat and I can give you low carb alternatives that are better than the original. I'm in the OWL phase and am still losing 0.5 to 1 lb a week which is fine with me. I do have to watch my calories now but I"m very close to goal so then calories do count. In the beginning when you have a lot to lose..not so much. Good luck.

Agreed. You have to change the "low calorie thinking". It's hard because we were always brought up that way, but calories are on the back burner with Atkins. Also, I have a website in my sig that has some great recipes for atkins if you are bored with what you're eating.
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    Bumping.
  • chelscc
    Options

Welcome. It does work well as long as you follow all the basic guidelines and the best part is you don't ever feel like your starving yourself like other diets. Pre-children I had lost a great deal of weight, and that's why I returned to it and got my fiance on it. Good Luck!
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

We would love to have you!
  • chelscc
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
  • kiranys
    kiranys Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello,

Are there any vegetarians here who are doing the Atkins diet? If so would love to hear their experiences.

A new MFP member