Hypothyroidism

Options
Does anyone else have it and if so please tell me you’ve lost weight since finding out? I’ve been busting my butt off working out but I feel like it’s not working.

Replies

• Chewbac7777
    Chewbac7777 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have it has been tough for me have lost almost 30lbs it can be done but its rough. Add me if you want
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I was told, 25+ years ago I was hypothyroid and would have to take levothyroxine for the rest of my life. I'm currently fighting that prognosis, have manged to get my BP tabs off my list - one of them caused more trouble than good.
    It was only thanks to MFP, I was able to determine that my potassium intake was low. I challenged my DR's and they admitted that was it was from a blood test, but it had only ' just ' dropped below normal ! Didn't think it was important to tell me.
    Since supplementing , I'm fine, to the point of questioning the original prognosis. Was told to cut certain foods when I had high cholesterol, the very same cuts which denied me of my T3 conservation. Taken my health into my own hands and am better for having done it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    stevephi01 wrote: »
    I was told, 25+ years ago I was hypothyroid and would have to take levothyroxine for the rest of my life. I'm currently fighting that prognosis, have manged to get my BP tabs off my list - one of them caused more trouble than good.
    It was only thanks to MFP, I was able to determine that my potassium intake was low. I challenged my DR's and they admitted that was it was from a blood test, but it had only ' just ' dropped below normal ! Didn't think it was important to tell me.
    Since supplementing , I'm fine, to the point of questioning the original prognosis. Was told to cut certain foods when I had high cholesterol, the very same cuts which denied me of my T3 conservation. Taken my health into my own hands and am better for having done it.

Does the NHS not give you a copy of your blood test results? Practice in my part of the US is for the labs to make a report available to any patient who asks for it, with the results and the labs reference ranges so we can see what's high/low/borderline/solidly normal. Typically, it's free, sometimes online.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    stevephi01 wrote: »

I don't know your specifics, but typically this is true - once supplemented it is for life, largely due to the limitations of the gland. Glands don't improve over time and they don't get better through diet or exercise directly. Hormones specifically are influenced by body mass, so the simplest solution is always to get weight under control. Often it's not the hormonal imbalance which is causing weight gain, but weight gain that causes hormonal imbalance. It's a viscous cycle.

It is always critical to see the whole picture and have conversations with your physicians so that everyone gets a full picture and understanding of the variables and what they mean.
  • stevephi01
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Does the NHS not give you a copy of your blood test results?

It is done via the Dr's, rather than from the lab (unless we have a private lab draw), mine never gave a printed copy but were happy with a verbal reply to a specific question.

Recently (3~4 months) our records have been made available online, not only test results but our visits and other treatments. It was due to this I was made aware that not all my tests were reported. If I not had online access I would have only had a receptionist telling me everything's OK, so am very pleased there is now access to the system. The result display does show the upper and lower limits alongside our number.

Before the blood is drawn we need to verbally identify ourselves and asked to make sure the vile has our correct details on it/them. I've now learnt to ask what tests have been ordered as these as well as the results are transferred electronically.
    I needed to be re-tested for the results which were not displayed (odd as the receptionist and Dr's could see what they were - possibly a referral query)

• stevephi01
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I don't know your specifics, but typically this is true - once supplemented it is for life, ... Often it's not the hormonal imbalance which is causing weight gain, but weight gain that causes hormonal imbalance.
    It is always critical to see the whole picture ...

I believe this is case in fact, the initial prescribing Dr hadn't looked at the entire picture - which looking back could have been influenced by my late wife who was once a nurse and previously married to a DR so felt she was 'qualified'. I know she was privy to at least some of my medical records, either by her insistence or the info being offered by my DR - which just so happened to be hers too.
    A year or two prior to my thyroid diagnosis I had developed extremely high cholesterol and was put on an aggressively restrictive 'diet' which I stuck to for very many years to come, even after my cholesterol levels were within limits. I am now of the opinion this 'diet' kicked off my thyroid symptoms., I had cut out ever eating a whole or even part of an egg for example. This all happened in South Africa.

When I moved to the UK, my DR took my thyroid 'at face value' and prescribed the levo at the level I had been taking.

I mentioned my blood re-test in my previous post, it was to also include an autoimmune check which has come back negative. This is a prerequisite for thyroid treatment here.

My Dr has told me I could have had/have Transitional Hypothyroidism and wants to reduce my dose level and test again. I guess now I'm on the radar he is obliged to do the tests. I chose to see the snr partner for this and hopefully get an experienced view on treatment.

Thank you for your reply and comments

• times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It can be done. You need patience and commitment. It is slower with my experience just need to be very careful on how many calories you eat
  • MorningGrace73
    MorningGrace73 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I haven't had an active/working/living thyroid since roughly 2009 and have since relied completely on thyroid medication to supplement the dead gland. I did put a lot of weight on during the months that followed my thyroid being ablated and added more weight during my pregnancy with my son. I am just now trying to lose the weight I added back then and so far I find my weightloss is pretty well on par with the average person's weight loss. I lose on average 1-2 pounds lost per week when I have a consistent deficit of calories taken in vs. burned.

The one thing I've noticed is that my body tends to be far more sensitive to certain things than it was before. Sodium is a good example. If I get anywhere close to my daily goal calculated by MFP, I will retain 2-3 lbs of water into the next day. Carbs are death, even small quantities. A small 'mess up' for me typically results in a big mess up on the scale. To be fair, I have no idea if this has anything to do with my thyroid or more to do with my age given the last time I worked on a significant weight loss, was nearly a decade ago. I'd take that one with a grain of salt.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to eat less than you burn, aka be in a calorie deficit. You don't have to exercise, even though exercise can add to the calorie deficit. To be able to measure your weightloss, you need weeks of regular weigh-ins.

Just an addendum to this as well. Take your meds consistently, (if you prescribed some that is) with plenty of water and wait as long as you can before eating or drinking anything.

I'm hypothyroid, (6 years) and taking Synthroid. I had Graves Disease (10+ years) before going for 2 treatments of radiation.

Doing the above, I lost 160lbs. I never would have been able to do it without replacement hormone though. Even now, I stall out completely if my dosage is incorrect.
  • stevephi01
    Options
    I see a few woo's to the last comment, if they were not meant as a total disagreement, my apologies.
    This is an international forum, what is permissible in one part of the world is not in another, whilst t3 medication is the cure for some, there are many on here who do not have that access and are forced to seek other ways.

Also, info changes so toady's best practice could well be tomorrow's 'poison', let us bear that in mind - I believe was my case, sort out this problem and create another.
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    May I suggest you become proactive in your care.

Wherever you may reside, this has to be the best advice <3
  • MorningGrace73
    MorningGrace73 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    To the former point, taking the meds consistently and accurately is a huge deal. Taking them is part of my morning routine, and I take them roughly the same time, in the same way, each day. I have to be very careful with my multi-vitamin to ensure they do not contain calcium, and any supplement I take that does have calcium, needs to wait 4 hours before I take it. I've lost 49 pounds since February, so it hasn't been a huge barrier so far. Incase its of interest, I use Armour Thyroid as the synthetic meds didn't seem to work very well for me.
  • lisaclark2279
    lisaclark2279 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    After I got diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2008, I lost about 45 lbs. It took me about a year and a half (I averaged 2-3 lbs/month). In order to lose, I had to cut my calories down to about 1400 and I was running, hiking, and/or doing Take Bo every day for at least 1/2 hour (I did not eat back my exercise calories). Once I reached my goal weight, I maintained for a while but eventually I began eating more because I found it difficult to consistently eat only the 1600 I was maintaining on after 18 months of such restriction. I have since gained most of it back. Between my Hashimoto's, depression, and anxiety, it is difficult for me to get back to that mindset where I was so motivated to lose. It can be done, but for me it was VERY slow. I am a firm believer in the fact that no 2 people are alike and it's not as cut and dry as some people make it out to be. My doctors have all told me weight loss is more difficult for me due to my Hashimoto's and some have suggested that I may be better off health-wise staying a bit heavier rather than cutting calories to the point I had to when I previously lost weight (which was under doctor supervision). Good luck and know if you do struggle, you're not alone!
  • annabel75
    annabel75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI, I note with interest that a lot of replies say as long as you are on your meds you are the same as anybody else. I would have to largely dispute that as in the UK there is no standard 'level' as to what is 'normal' ; if you are still feeling tired etc, then get the level of meds increased if you can.

Having had a serious thyroid deficiency for nearly 40 years I would also totally disagree that carbs are all bad. The Thyroid controls all manner of functions and Diabetes is a much greater risk as a result, according to my GP. I invested in a blood sugar monitor years ago (the sort diabetics use) and if my blood sugar level creeps over where it should be then I am especially careful until it is back where it should be.

Healthy, balanced eating which includes the right carbs, minimal processed food and above all exercise, are crucial in my experience

I am loving been able to keep my food diary here and have a fitbit which keeps track of my exercise and updates automatically. I would second all comments about weighing food, don't guess and regular exercise