Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    @psuLemon, I've found the standard 16:8 IF strategy to be useful to manage hunger. Followed since last fall and after the initial change in routine (maybe 2-3 day adjustment) I had no trouble making it to lunch before getting too hungry or eating anything. Hardcore IFers would cry afoul that I still put creamer in my coffee (GASP! THINK OF ALL THE BENEFITS YOU'RE SQUANDERING!). Planning for two main meals instead of three generally makes things easier. I still follow that routine loosely, though I have since upped my protein goal so I down a post-workout protein shake if I need it to hit my macros for the day. Granted, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in hunger on days I have one vs. days I don't.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited June 2018
    jdog022 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How do you all fit cardio into your routines? I am already having a hard time balancing it.

I noticed some increased fatigue and reduced performance in my lifts today. It could have been an off day but it is pretty unusual for me.. and the only thing I can think of that has changed recently was addition of cardio. Will I eventually get used to it? Should I back off the intensity of the cardio (I mainly do stairclimber and aerobics-type stuff, nothing like HIIT or intense intervals or even plyo). Or maybe plan it around my sessions better? I lift 4x per week, then cardio 2x per week. Because of how I train (legs legs and more legs) I find it so difficult to incorporate cardio, especially because I am using my lower body for everything.

What do you do, and have you found you have adapted to balancing cardio and lifting?

For the first several weeks cutting i stuck with my bulking program PHUL but obviously in a calorie deficit instead. I backed off on volume a touch. I did my cardio on Tues (Volume Leg day) and Wed (No weight day). My cardio is going for walks at lunch for 30-40 minutes. Nothing intense but brisk.

As I got deeper into the cut I upped my cardio to 4x a week, dropped cals, and changed my plan to a PPLPP. So I stopped training legs twice per week. To sore, to tired, cant recover. My Push Pull days are 45 min early morning sessions and again, long walks at lunch. Thats about where I am now.

Ahh makes sense. I train legs high frequency.. 4x per week so maybe that is my issue. I am doing cardio for fitness and some extra calorie burn so I think I'll just take it easy and see how it goes.
  • sardelsa
    psuLemon wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    So i started reading Lyle McDonalds RFL handbook... This diet is nuts but i might just try it.

For those who have tried it, is compliance as hard as it might seem? Or do you just push through it?

I just finished 4 weeks on it and found it challenging at some points but actually fairly easy for most of the time. It's so rigidly structured that you don't have much room for error. The entire point of it to most efficiently cut fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. So, there isn't a set deficit or carb/fat value; it's as simple as ingesting the proper amount of protein and recommended supplements while reducing carb/fat calories to the bare minimum you can manage. It's not enjoyable - like it gets hard to choke down chicken and egg whites at times. But, in my experience, the results are undeniable. Top key's for me were:
    1. Read the book and take notes, review the website & forums, supplement with reddit r/psmf information, refer back to book, repeat. It's not a perfectly written plan and LM leaves plenty open to interpretation but most of that is minor details that don't matter much in the end.
    2. Have a solid plan. Know your meals/supplements for the entire week and DO NOT deviate.
    3. Follow LM's workout advice. More cardio than he recommends will stall progress and take a serious toll on the body. Lifting weights gets pretty hard and your volume will need reduced. I did a yoga class a couple times that wiped me OUT.
    4. Remember why you're doing this diet and trust the process to be worth the sacrifice.

Certainly 1 phase doesn't make me any sort of expert but I feel like I learned a lot running it so feel free to let me know if you have any questions and I'll let you know my take on it.

- Did you record your calories during those four weeks? What did you average?
    - How much weight did you lose over that span?
    I tracked my intake very specifically (other than 2 refeeds that didn't require close monitoring). Average calories was around 1400/day. Protein requirement was 220g/day.

Forgot to add, lost 16Lbs overall and I'm still stepping up to maintenance so the returning water weight hasn't shown just yet.

Also, I'll make my diary public for a bit in case anyone interested in the most boring list of foods possible lol

Thanks. I am almost done the book now. So I will probably read it next week while i am on travel again. Makes for a good airline read.

Thanks for the input.

ETA, i also have UD2.0 to read to see what i enjoy most.

Update, after reading UD2, i feel that will be a more appropriate fit for me. I almost done a 2nd read and am planning out my lifting routine and diet set up while i am on travel to Japan next week. 22 hours of flying (ome way) should give me more than enough time for a 3rd read and cross referencing my diet to the strategy.

But man those low cal low carbs days will be rough. Anyone have any tricks (fasting, etc...?) to help keep hunger at bay?

Last time i calorie/carb cycled those low carb days were rough.

How low carb are we talking here? Probably nowhere near I care to venture :s
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    So i started reading Lyle McDonalds RFL handbook... This diet is nuts but i might just try it.

For those who have tried it, is compliance as hard as it might seem? Or do you just push through it?

I just finished 4 weeks on it and found it challenging at some points but actually fairly easy for most of the time. It's so rigidly structured that you don't have much room for error. The entire point of it to most efficiently cut fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. So, there isn't a set deficit or carb/fat value; it's as simple as ingesting the proper amount of protein and recommended supplements while reducing carb/fat calories to the bare minimum you can manage. It's not enjoyable - like it gets hard to choke down chicken and egg whites at times. But, in my experience, the results are undeniable. Top key's for me were:
    1. Read the book and take notes, review the website & forums, supplement with reddit r/psmf information, refer back to book, repeat. It's not a perfectly written plan and LM leaves plenty open to interpretation but most of that is minor details that don't matter much in the end.
    2. Have a solid plan. Know your meals/supplements for the entire week and DO NOT deviate.
    3. Follow LM's workout advice. More cardio than he recommends will stall progress and take a serious toll on the body. Lifting weights gets pretty hard and your volume will need reduced. I did a yoga class a couple times that wiped me OUT.
    4. Remember why you're doing this diet and trust the process to be worth the sacrifice.

Certainly 1 phase doesn't make me any sort of expert but I feel like I learned a lot running it so feel free to let me know if you have any questions and I'll let you know my take on it.

I tracked my intake very specifically (other than 2 refeeds that didn't require close monitoring). Average calories was around 1400/day. Protein requirement was 220g/day.

Forgot to add, lost 16Lbs overall and I'm still stepping up to maintenance so the returning water weight hasn't shown just yet.

Also, I'll make my diary public for a bit in case anyone interested in the most boring list of foods possible lol

Thanks. I am almost done the book now. So I will probably read it next week while i am on travel again. Makes for a good airline read.

Thanks for the input.

Update, after reading UD2, i feel that will be a more appropriate fit for me. I almost done a 2nd read and am planning out my lifting routine and diet set up while i am on travel to Japan next week. 22 hours of flying (ome way) should give me more than enough time for a 3rd read and cross referencing my diet to the strategy.

But man those low cal low carbs days will be rough. Anyone have any tricks (fasting, etc...?) to help keep hunger at bay?

50-75g is the range..
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member

Thanks for the input.

50-75g is the range..

I wanna die anywhere under 200..
  • psuLemon
    jdog022 wrote: »

Thanks for the input.

50-75g is the range..

I wanna die anywhere under 200..

Sadly, same here. But i have been struggling a lot lately with conventional dieting (compliance and weight loss in general) and if i follow any kind of structured program, it will be one from Lyle McDonald. Then I at least know its science based.

I figured semi aggressive dieting for shorter periods may help. I plan to diet for 6 weeks, take off two weeks and repeat as necessary.
  • sardelsa

Thanks for the input.

50-75g is the range..

Ok that is not too bad....I do around 100g on my low days... lots of chicken, seafood, fish, low carb veggies. Soups, zoodles pasta or stir fry dishes. Salty things are my saving grace on those days. You will be OK! :)
  • psuLemon

Thanks for the input.

50-75g is the range..

Ok that is not too bad....I do around 100g on my low days... lots of chicken, seafood, fish, low carb veggies. Soups, zoodles pasta or stir fry dishes. Salty things are my saving grace on those days. You will be OK! :)

Thanks. My biggest problem is moving away from a daily quest bar.. i can eat them on refeed days. So these next few days are a test for me. Going to see how low i can get my carbs.
  • sardelsa

Thanks for the input.

50-75g is the range..

Thanks. My biggest problem is moving away from a daily quest bar.. i can eat them on refeed days. So these next few days are a test for me. Going to see how low i can get my carbs.

Yea I typically don't have that much "room" for protein bars on those days.. I make a protein shake instead.. basically it's just unflavoured protein powder and water. I thought I would miss having something sweet like a bar with my coffee in the afternoon... but I am getting into the habit of having my coffee on it's own, plus I am so busy and never sit so I barely have time to sit and eat these days.
  • dozenmonkeyz
    dozenmonkeyz Posts: 150 Member
    edited June 2018
    psuLemon: the best hunger deterrent for my efforts was to stay as busy as I possibly could. Timed out right that I was doing a pretty big landscaping project at home so my evenings were full and never gave me a chance to give in to cravings. I ran an ec stack for three weeks and it helped a bit at the start but the effect slowly tapered off over a few days. The hunger was always there but it's easier to fight it off with occupied hands & mind. Good luck on the UD2!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon: the best hunger deterrent for my efforts was to stay as busy as I possibly could. Timed out right that I was doing a pretty big landscaping project at home so my evenings were full and never gave me a chance to give in to cravings. I ran an ec stack for three weeks and it helped a bit at the start but the effect slowly tapered off over a few days. The hunger was always there but it's easier to fight it off with occupied hands & mind. Good luck on the UD2!

Thanks for the tip.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited June 2018
    Sadly, same here. But i have been struggling a lot lately with conventional dieting (compliance and weight loss in general) and if i follow any kind of structured program, it will be one from Lyle McDonald. Then I at least know its science based.

I figured semi aggressive dieting for shorter periods may help. I plan to diet for 6 weeks, take off two weeks and repeat as necessary.

Anything from Lyle I am pretty much on-board with trying. Interested to hear how it goes. I would consider the protocol during a mini cut in Jan, maybe.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited June 2018
    How is everyone doing?

My cut is going a lot better than I hoped. Honestly it is so rewarding to see all the hard work you put into your bulk shine through. It can be so difficult when the bulk is happening to know what is going on.

Last years bulk was ok, I spent a lot of it rebuilding what I lost during pregnancy/postpartum, but this most recent bulk really did it for me and you can really see the difference. Sometimes I am in disbelief because it's like.. I have all these doubts when I'm bulking (which I am sure is normal) "am I even gaining much muscle, am I doing enough in the gym, am I eating too much crap, too much alcohol and messing up my macros?" Nope. Whatever I did was spot on.. and that is such a good feeling when you see it all come together. :)

:) always good to hear about successful cuts. I sometimes cringe when it goes wrong and people lose all their gains.

On a personal note: I'm back to bulking - technically, I guess. I'm attempting a lean(er) bulk this round and besides from an initial bump of about 6 pounds I've apparently found a moving maintenance number. I keep bumping it up each week and haven't been able to budge the scale. Currently at about 3500 calories. I had hoped that with all the weight I cut that I wouldn't have to eat like an elephant. Went to Vegas for a week and spent a fortune eating out every meal - huge meals and I didn't bother counting cals or logging. Came back a pound lighter. My wife threw a shoe at me when I told her. ;)
  • sardelsa
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    How is everyone doing?

My cut is going a lot better than I hoped. Honestly it is so rewarding to see all the hard work you put into your bulk shine through. It can be so difficult when the bulk is happening to know what is going on.

Last years bulk was ok, I spent a lot of it rebuilding what I lost during pregnancy/postpartum, but this most recent bulk really did it for me and you can really see the difference. Sometimes I am in disbelief because it's like.. I have all these doubts when I'm bulking (which I am sure is normal) "am I even gaining much muscle, am I doing enough in the gym, am I eating too much crap, too much alcohol and messing up my macros?" Nope. Whatever I did was spot on.. and that is such a good feeling when you see it all come together. :)

:) always good to hear about successful cuts. I sometimes cringe when it goes wrong and people lose all their gains.

On a personal note: I'm back to bulking - technically, I guess. I'm attempting a lean(er) bulk this round and besides from an initial bump of about 6 pounds I've apparently found a moving maintenance number. I keep bumping it up each week and haven't been able to budge the scale. Currently at about 3500 calories. I had hoped that with all the weight I cut that I wouldn't have to eat like an elephant. Went to Vegas for a week and spent a fortune eating out every meal - huge meals and I didn't bother counting cals or logging. Came back a pound lighter. My wife threw a shoe at me when I told her. ;)

Oh yea I'm slow and steady over here!

Haha that is so funny, yea you lucky duck you! Enjoy the bulk and all those cals :)
  • steveko89
    @sardelsa, glad your cut is going well. Mine is hit and miss as evidenced by my posts earlier this week. I had three straight weeks losing on a weekly weight average basis, 1.5lbs, 0.9 lbs, 0.7 lbs, but I'm up 0.5lbs this week on an average of the same calories of last week and it's just messing with me mentally. Per the recommendation to add in some cardio, I did hit the rower for a quick post-workout 1k Tuesday but didn't leave enough time to do so today or yesterday. I think I need to post a progress pic to let some other eyes give me some feedback to unfunk my mindset.
  • sardelsa
    @steveko89... when did you add the cardio in? For some it can actually make them retain some water and mess with the scale for a little bit. Yea it can be hard to judge when you look at yourself every day. I am sure you are doing very well though by the sound of it.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    @sardelsa that's great to hear! From all the work you put in, it doesn't surprise me. Awesome job!
  • sardelsa
    @sardelsa that's great to hear! From all the work you put in, it doesn't surprise me. Awesome job!

Thanks @Davidsdottir! I keep thinking to myself, do I really work that hard though? I feel like I just eat (or not eat) and throw some weight around in my basement sometimes. Maybe because I really enjoy the whole process :) Plus my goals are pretty basic to be honest which helps...not striving to compete or even look competitive or anything.

How is your bulk/recomp going?
  • steveko89
    Thanks for the sentiment, @sardelsa. I'm guessing the four donuts I pounded Wednesday afternoon and general issues with calorie adherence is having more of an impact on the scale than the one time I got on my rowing machine for 10 minutes on Tuesday morning.

I do definitely have a self-judgement problem; it's inarguable that I've got a better looking body now than at any point in my life but I don't feel like it and can only focus on the areas that aren't up to par.