Thoughts about my workout plan

Icy_Fox
Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
Hey guys, since my summer break is coming up, I have made a little workout plan that I will hopefully follow in the next two and a half months. I tried to spread the workouts throughout two days, with one day off after the two-day cycle. To get the exercises I need, I use an app on my phone called Home Workout that quite nicely paces the exercises throughout the month. That is why my plan is based on that app (although any suggestions of better apps or an alternative are welcome). I will do the workouts twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. I also do each exercise day from the app twice, and since all the exercises are repeated twice in each day, this basically makes it 4 sets which I think is fine. I would like to note I avoid certain exercises such as jumping jacks, knee hops etc. due to an injury I have. Without further ado, here is the plan:

Day 1:
  • morning: abs
  • evening: arms & legs
Day 2:
  • morning: shoulder & back
  • evening: chest

An example of the first day exercise routine from the app for each muscle group:
  • Abs:
    • High Stepping x20 (which I skip due to injury)
    • Jumping Jacks x30 (skip)
    • Standing Bicycle Crunches x20
    • Mountain Climber x20
    • Abdominal Crunches x10
    • Heel touch x16
    • 30s plank
    • This repeats once more, with a few stretches at the end
  • Arms:
    • 30s Arm Raises
    • 30s Side Arm Raises
    • Triceps Dips x10
    • 30s Arm Circles Clockwise
    • 30s Arm Circles Counterclockwise
    • Diamond Push Up x6
    • Jumping Jacks x30 (skip due to injury)
    • Chest Press Pulse x15
    • Leg Barbell Curl Left & Right x8 each side
    • Diagonal Plank x10
    • 30s Punches
    • Push-ups x10
    • Inchworms x8
    • Wall Push-Ups x12
    • Stretches
  • Legs:
    • 30s Side Hop (skip due to injury)
    • Squats 24x (I do them really wide with feet turned outward due to injury)
    • Side-lying Leg Lift Left & Right 24x each side
    • Backward Lunge x14
    • Donkey Kicks Left & Right x30 each side
    • Stretches
  • Shoulder & Back:
    • Jumping Jacks x30 (skip)
    • 16s Arm Raises
    • Rhomboid Pulls x14
    • 16s Side Arm Raise
    • Knee push-ups x14
    • Two stretch sessions
    • 30s Arm Scissors
    • Rhomboid Pulls 12x
    • 14s Side Arm Raise
    • Knee Push-Ups 12x
    • 30s Cat Cow pose
    • Prone Triceps Push Ups x14
    • Reclined Rhomboid Squeezes x12
    • Prone Triceps Push Ups x14
    • Reclined Rhomboid Squeezes x12
    • 30s Child's Pose

I know this is a long post so thank you for getting this far. Any opinions on this schedule are more than welcome. I haven't included cardio since I am not able to do any due to the injury that I have. The workouts in the app aren't always like the ones I listed, they get progressively harder with each day. Do you think doing all the in-app days (an in-app day is, for example, the one I listed under legs or arms) twice is too much? Should I only do them once? Thank you for all the opinions

Replies

• Icy_Fox
    Why not do an established lifting programme?

don't have any equipment to do that
  • Icy_Fox
    If your injury prevents you from running or jumping, you should be very careful with pushups, planks, and Mountain climbers.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of random callisthenic programs, but This one isn't particularly worse or better than any other.

my doctor said it's okay if i do those, is the other stuff okay?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2018
    Icy_Fox wrote: »

You don't need equipment if you do a bodyweight programme...
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    I think if it works for you then it's great. You can always add resistance bands or weights if it's too easy and/or back off if it's too much.
  • Icy_Fox

mind sharing some with me? thanks
  • Icy_Fox
    I think if it works for you then it's great. You can always add resistance bands or weights if it's too easy and/or back off if it's too much.

yeah, that was exactly my thought. I don't like gyms so exercising at home is the only option
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

Look up "You are your own gym" It's a bit more friendly in tone than Convict conditioning. Even though they're essentially the same basic programming. You could also look up gymnastic/yoga routines(DDP Yoga) or the Kavadlo brothers programs.

Not to say that one is or is not derivative, just that there's only so many effective ways to do a progressive bodyweight program. Just like there's only so many effective ways to do a progressive barbell program.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I think that list includes some
  • Icy_Fox

Look up "You are your own gym" It's a bit more friendly in tone than Convict conditioning. Even though they're essentially the same basic programming. You could also look up gymnastic/yoga routines(DDP Yoga) or the Kavadlo brothers programs.

Not to say that one is or is not derivative, just that there's only so many effective ways to do a progressive bodyweight program. Just like there's only so many effective ways to do a progressive barbell program.

I think I have read You are your own gym once before. It is the book right?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I've been trying to figure out what injury would keep you from doing high stepping but not mountain climbers, and coming up blank.

Anyway, it all looks fine if rather random, but adding some strength training (you can get resistance bands inexpensively or use bottles and jugs, in addition to bodyweight) and whatever cardio you are able to do with your limitations (could be walking) would make it even better.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

I think I have read You are your own gym once before. It is the book right?

Roger that!
  • UtahSeth
    UtahSeth Posts: 10 Member
    My favorite body weight workout is the Navy Seal Poker Deck Workout. Face cards are 10 and Ace is 11.

Hearts = Pushups
    Diamonds = Situps
    Clubs = Lunges
    Spades = Squat jumps or Burpees

Just pull a card and do that exercise for that many reps, repeat until deck is gone, takes an hour at first, then gets much faster, eventually you start doubling the numbers, tripling, etc. as the workout gets too easy for you.

If injury doesn't allow for jumping then do regular squats, if you can't do lunges, find an alternative core/leg exercise that you can do and replace with that.

Just my 2 cents
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    One of the more popular programs is Strong Curves by Bret Contreras and Kellie Davis. There is a 56 page .pdf that has six different workout plans. One of them is body weights only. It is really popular and the girls I know here in Winston-Salem who do this love it. Check it out.