Options
2»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It works out to be about 156g of protein, 35g of fat and 78g of carbs.

I miss carbs. The majority of the carbs I eat are tucked in fruits and veggies. The protein bars I eat have between 20-24g. A "splurge" for me in the last month is to have a slice of whole grain bread at lunch. I miss carbs :neutral:

It doesn't sound like that is a good fit for you. A slice of bread doesn't have to be a "splurge."

Agreed. That would be a red flag for me.

I'm "allowed" a cup of complex carbs a day... but I don't much like rice or quinoa or whole wheat pasta. I try and skip anything extra most days. I like my carbs well below 100g when feasible. A slice of bread has 20g in it so that's a big % of the day for me.

ok, but the bigger issue here is this - what benefit are you getting from all that? You're putting yourself under significant restriction/limitation... is that benefiting you at all? That degree of restriction is unnecessary for weight loss, so what is it doing for you?

For most, it's a dead end road in failureville or yo-yo-land. And that's ignoring the bigger issues of health/balanced diet/vitamins/nutrients/etc.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I have met trainers who got their certification through the back of a Wheaties box. They know nothing about nutrition. I have one at my gym that I told my story of massive weight loss and that I was in a "lean" bulk. He told me,"I can put 40lbs on you in 3 months." I was polite and said thanks, but low and slow is good for me. I wanted to say, "no kitten Sherlock, I could do the same if I went off the rails!" Nice guy, but his nutritional info is circa 1975.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I feel like I derailed this conversation unintentionally. I was just sharing my response to the OP and now I feel like I have to justify it.

My vitamins and nutrients are more than fine. All I eat is meat, veggies and fruit with some protein supplements and my regular supplements (green tea, cinnamon, probiotics, multivitamins, etc). I'm not starving, I have egg whites either hardboiled or omelet style with spinach and turkey burger, or turkey burgers with feta and spinach... or amazing salmon salads with corn and black bean salad. I season with lemon juice or that spray butter stuff when it needs to happen. I eat a TON of chicken, tuna, tilapia, asparagus, spinach.

I appreciate the concern but I don't think it's necessarily unrealistic or unhealthy to cut out processed carbs and increase protein for lean muscle building.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I feel like I derailed this conversation unintentionally. I was just sharing my response to the OP and now I feel like I have to justify it.

My vitamins and nutrients are more than fine. All I eat is meat, veggies and fruit with some protein supplements and my regular supplements (green tea, cinnamon, probiotics, multivitamins, etc). I'm not starving, I have egg whites either hardboiled or omelet style with spinach and turkey burger, or turkey burgers with feta and spinach... or amazing salmon salads with corn and black bean salad. I season with lemon juice or that spray butter stuff when it needs to happen. I eat a TON of chicken, tuna, tilapia, asparagus, spinach.

I appreciate the concern but I don't think it's necessarily unrealistic or unhealthy to cut out processed carbs and increase protein for lean muscle building.

You were the one complaining that a slice of bread was a treat these days, people were just responding to that.

If you're happy like that then have at it as the Americans say!
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yeah sorry - it was more whining that I want butter noodles and pizza than truly complaining. LOL I'm new here, y'all don't know me to decipher my personality in black and white. My apologies <3
  • psychod787
    Options

You were the one complaining that a slice of bread was a treat these days, people were just responding to that.

Do we say that?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What is everyone’s macro % for weight loss. Mine is just set to the standard and not sure if it’s right.

I go to the gym 3 + times a week and have an active job

I had good success setting mine up like this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Of course, it's really just personal preference unless you have very specific health or body comp needs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Do we say that?

I've definitely heard someone say it... :laugh:
  • psychod787
    Options

I eat many of the same things. In fact I am a creature of habit really. You so do not have to justify any choices you make. Some people like tavistoad and I like to talk in the forums. You did not derail any conversation. I did really. If you are happy go for it. Just remember, there is life after weight loss. Will you always eat %50 protein? Best of luck to you. I hope you succeed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What is everyone’s macro % for weight loss. Mine is just set to the standard and not sure if it’s right.

In an attempt to get the thread back to the original question.......

I didn't do percentages for three main reasons:
    1/ Preferred to set minimums for protein and fat and then the rest of my calorie allowance comes from any of the three macros.
    2/ Percentages are very restrictive for no good reason - it's your calorie deficit that drives weight loss. Flexibilty is a key for making adherence easier for me.
    3/ My daily allowance varies wildly due to my exercise, it makes zero sense to have percentages when my calorie allowance varies from 2000 to 6500. I would have to eat a whole cow on a big cycling day which really isn't the way to fuel a long ride. :smiley:

Why isn't the standard split "right" for you?
    What issues are you having?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

MFP macros are fine. its the calorie deficit for weight loss.

i have tweaked mine to 25% protein (which is about 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight), around 35% fat as fat helps keep me full, and the rest carbs.

you can tweak them any way you like that helps you stick to your deficit.

You are the first person I have come across with the same macro split as me.
  • AJ1416
    AJ1416 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My macro percents are: 35%P 30%C and 30%F. I usually never hit my "goal" for carbs, seeing as how it's 171grams based on a 1,950 calories a day.