June 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    So. What can we do to drag @MNLittleFinn and @JessicaMcB back into the thread?

They must be too busy training for ultras. :smile:
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    if it makes you guys, @RespectTheKitty and @dreamer12151 , feel better i've been running for threeish years and just broke in to the 11's. so frustrating.
    self taught with short stubby legs

i was talking to an African guy who was obviously a serious runner-he was looking at our studio for yoga and he said one day something just snaps and the 9s and 10s just happen. i'm waiting patiently

I think for me that moment is 20-40 lbs away.

This all makes me feel so much better. I don’t really know quite when I started running, but probably 3 years. I desperately want to go and do long social runs with friends from my run club, but slow and social to them is less than 10minute miles. I’m still on 12. They said ‘just keep running and you’ll get faster ‘. It’s not happened yet.

This is why I haven't joined the local run clubs. I'm slow AF. Usually in the bottom 5-10 when I race. I enjoy myself immensely and feel myself improving my cardiovascular fitness and my endurance... but my pace doesn't improve. The only time I saw speed improve was when I did ad hoc speedwork on the treadmill when it was -30 outside. And then I gained 5-10 lbs and now I'm same speed I was last fall.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Already at 43.6 of my 60 mile goal!

You are going to smash that goal!

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Not a ton of stairs at my workplace, but I bet I have all of you beat as far as security - i work in a prison! It is a challenge to get in and out every day, even as an employee! I don’t get stuck in stairwells, I get stuck between cross-gates!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    For those fretting over pace: I’ve ran 47 or 48 marathons and probably 70 plus 13.1’s. I’ve never qualified for Boston.

Someone once told me this: “You don’t have to have a “good” time to have a GREAT time!”

Seriously, just enjoy it and the camaraderie and the roads and trails.

This.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Not a ton of stairs at my workplace, but I bet I have all of you beat as far as security - i work in a prison! It is a challenge to get in and out every day, even as an employee! I don’t get stuck in stairwells, I get stuck between cross-gates!

As a teenager, I worked at a juvi-hall and I have spent much time on a Navy base and I have worked for the DOD... I have had my share of too much physical security. You can keep your job, I am sure as heck not coming for it! :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    06/01/18 - 0
    06/02/18 - 1 mile race & 5k race
    06/03/18 - 10 miles @ 9:52
    06/04/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:04
    06/05/18 - 0 :(
    06/06/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:30 including hill repeats
    06/07/18 -
    06/08/18 - 0 :(
    06/09/18 - 12 miles @ 9:29
    06/10/18 - 13.1 miles @ 9:22
    06/11/18 - 9 miles @ 9:12
    06/12/18 - 10 miles @ 9:26

07/20/18 - Liberty Get Well Mile
    08/11/18 - Howl At The Moon 5k

--More as I find them - need find a nice trail race

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Dew point was 74 when I started. Was not an easy run, but I got'er done.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Back to the topic of race photos, this article just popped up in my Facebook feed which could be of interest in combatting those dreadful event pics!! http://www.runnersworldonline.com.au/5-tips-better-race-photo/