Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Curing severe acid reflux with diet

Options

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    CharlieBeans......you are correct. I conveniently left off the part (that was in my brain) about checking with a doctor *IF* there is a medical condition.

ACV is a really good thing for most people, generally speaking. BUT.....and this is a very big word here......if there is a medical condition then ACV may be a good thing or it may be a bad thing. And, everyone is so very different that - with a medical condition involved - ACV can indeed make things worse.

And, agreed - another point that I left in my brain.....finding the root cause of acid reflux is the best solution. There is no point in mowing the lawn to get rid of the weeds.....mowing the lawn offers temp reliefe but the weeds will be back in a few days. So, absolutely agree there.

Thank you for catching my oversights.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I am a little bit late to this party, but I was going to suggest Apple Cider Vinegar. It is so very good for so many thing. Generally speaking, i strongly suggest that everyone add this to the water that they drink (because we are all drinking eight - 10 glasses of water every day, right?). It is really good.

Yes - you can clean your toilette with this stuff. Weird, right? I struggled with that fact for a minute. Got over it and so glad that I did.....

Anyway, everyone needs to make his/her own decisions. I am a VERY STRONG yes on Apple Cider Vinegar.

This is an irresponsible suggestion and will cause harm to many who may take your advice. Do you have any credible research to back up your claim?
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I had terrible acid reflux as a young child, and it carried into adulthood. My father's on Prilosec for life, and that *kitten*'s just not healthy. I was on it when I was eleven (because ulcers!), so I started keeping a food journal to figure out when it happened. I had my worst attacks after:

(1) Soda (biggest trigger)
    (2) Meat (especially beef, especially especially steak)
    (3) Straight pasta (no butter, no cheese, no nothin'--we went through a bad patch for a while)
    (4) Dehydration (after runs)
    (5) Not eating any fruit/veg for a few days

It took months to find the patterns. I eventually cured myself by eating the opposite way that my dad eats: no meat, little cheese, lots of fruit and veggies, and a decent macro balance (though I'm still probably oriented toward carbs more than is strictly healthy).
  • GailK1967
    GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free eliminated my long term GERD. absolutely GF not just mostly. That means even traces in sauces etc. It took a month but worked 100%.

Oh and oats had to go too.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    @mph323 - O M G! I read your post and the one from suzannesimmons3 and was confused by your reaction. Then I re-read what I posted. I AM SO SORRY. I left of the end part of my post about the "getting to the root" of the issue. Anyway, please forgive me (I don't often put my tail between my legs, but will admit to a HUGE oversight in this case....not afraid to admit when I am wrong!). I was simply (A) going too fast and (B) not including everything in my posts. Anyway, thank you for correcting my oversight. I would feel absolutely horrible if someone followed that "partial" advice and ended up hurting themselves.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    @mph323 - O M G! I read your post and the one from suzannesimmons3 and was confused by your reaction. Then I re-read what I posted. I AM SO SORRY. I left of the end part of my post about the "getting to the root" of the issue. Anyway, please forgive me (I don't often put my tail between my legs, but will admit to a HUGE oversight in this case....not afraid to admit when I am wrong!). I was simply (A) going too fast and (B) not including everything in my posts. Anyway, thank you for correcting my oversight. I would feel absolutely horrible if someone followed that "partial" advice and ended up hurting themselves.

I just wanted to point that out because there are always potential newbie readers lurking, and ACV is such a prevalent topic that people tend to think of it as completely benign and a weight loss aid.

For the record, I disagree that ACV does enough of anything that it should be recommended routinely to people (who don't have an adverse reaction) but that's a different thread :)
  • hazeleyez26
    hazeleyez26 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    for you grains was your trigger. its not that way for everyone. I can eat wheat and grains and have no issue. some days water alone causes it. I have even tried cutting out certain things and still get it. some of us produce too much acid,some too little. and for some acid reflux is from an underlying health issue. knowing what is causing it is the key. some of us need meds as well. so saying it can be cured with diet alone ,is not going to be the case with everyone. same for those who may have migraines,some may control it with diet and others need meds or other things.

I also had very high acid in my body and had h.pylori.. it was so bad that water also made mine worse.. anything I ate or drank did. And I did not know what the cause was when I decided to change my diet. To me, it was worth trying because I didn't want to be medicated. And it worked.

Just to be clear.. I wasn't saying or implying that everyone should be changing their diets to grain-free. The question was asked if severe acid reflux can be cured with diet... and yes, it can. I simply shared my story on how it helped me.. in hopes that it could help someone else. They can decide for themselves if it is something they'd like to look into. :)
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    PPIs for short term to promote healing but diet for the long term.

Personal story - I took Prilosec for 3 years after being diagnosed with GERD and ulcerative colitis. I got the colitis under control and kept taking the Prilosec, not even thinking of trying to wean myself off because, heck, I wasn't burning was I?

Well, after I shattered my kneecap in my driveway, my orthopedic surgeon told me that PPIs weaken the bones (not to mention the other health issues) and my GI should have known this! Makes sense because how I broke my kneecap ... I did a banana peel slip in my driveway between my garage door and my jeep. The force of me trying to catch myself on my bumper and the garage door handle (I was thinking broken tailbone-ouch!) pulled the muscles and connective tissue taut and that combo snapped my kneecap in multiple pieces. There were no blemishes or anything on my knee but after that, my kneecap was positioned on the side of my leg - not a pretty picture!

I had to go cold turkey on the Prilosec and mostly it was diet and heavy probiotics and coconut oil that helped me. (Oh, it took almost 4 years of weight training for my left leg (side with the shattered kneecap) to be able to lift the same weight as my right.)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    PPIs for short term to promote healing but diet for the long term.

Personal story - I took Prilosec for 3 years after being diagnosed with GERD and ulcerative colitis. I got the colitis under control and kept taking the Prilosec, not even thinking of trying to wean myself off because, heck, I wasn't burning was I?

Well, after I shattered my kneecap in my driveway, my orthopedic surgeon told me that PPIs weaken the bones (not to mention the other health issues) and my GI should have known this! Makes sense because how I broke my kneecap ... I did a banana peel slip in my driveway between my garage door and my jeep. The force of me trying to catch myself on my bumper and the garage door handle (I was thinking broken tailbone-ouch!) pulled the muscles and connective tissue taut and that combo snapped my kneecap in multiple pieces. There were no blemishes or anything on my knee but after that, my kneecap was positioned on the side of my leg - not a pretty picture!

I had to go cold turkey on the Prilosec and mostly it was diet and heavy probiotics and coconut oil that helped me. (Oh, it took almost 4 years of weight training for my left leg (side with the shattered kneecap) to be able to lift the same weight as my right.)

and for some diet changes make no difference. trust me I have tried. only thing that works is meds and even sometimes that barely works.I have tried cutting out certain things that trigger it,some things dont trigger it all the time either.I cant take coconut oil as I have a health issue and have to eat low fat/low cholesterol. so that means even healthy fats
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ppis don't in themselves weaken the bones; what they do is inhibit the absorption of certain minerals such as calcium, because they reduce stomach acid which is needed for the absorption of some minerals. I agree it's a risk;all meds carry risks. For me the risk of uncontrolled bleeding and ulcers in my stomach and oesophagus is greater.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Nothing but Prilosec 40mg has worked for my acid reflux and now that I have no gallbladder it is worse. Even one day off and I feel the burn. I remember in collage walking to class I would throw up from the reflux and I would eat nothing all day just wake up with it. Then I found Prilosec and it works.
  • renniepaula948
    renniepaula948 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cmazurek85 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with PPI. If the OP has cut foods out of her diet and she still is feeling poorly, why discourage her from trying something new that has a record of success?

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news/20160608/proton-pump-inhibitor-health-risks#1

Would rather stay away from things that have a chance of upping my risk of death when there are good alternatives that don't have the same potential risks.

Your risk of death is 100%. Just saying.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    edit to delete zombie thread
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with PPI. If the OP has cut foods out of her diet and she still is feeling poorly, why discourage her from trying something new that has a record of success?

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news/20160608/proton-pump-inhibitor-health-risks#1

Would rather stay away from things that have a chance of upping my risk of death when there are good alternatives that don't have the same potential risks.

I am not dead yet.and have been using them for awhile. any meds can cause death for pete sake and risk of death is not 100% or I would not be here typing this. and this is a zombie thread

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I am not dead yet.and have been using them for awhile. any meds can cause death for pete sake and risk of death is not 100% or I would not be here typing this. and this is a zombie thread

I think the point he was making was that there is 100% chance we will all die at some point in our life. Regardless of whether you take meds or not. Which is true. Nobody gets out alive. ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I think the point he was making was that there is 100% chance we will all die at some point in our life. Regardless of whether you take meds or not. Which is true. Nobody gets out alive. ;)

well yeah I know that lol but it sounded like PPIs cause death which its possible but yeah.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
    Options

also if someone has gastritis they need to avoid caffeine, carbonated drinks,acidic and spicy foods as well. [/quote]

The above, as well as fried foods.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    aidydh wrote: »
    also if someone has gastritis they need to avoid caffeine, carbonated drinks,acidic and spicy foods as well.

The above, as well as fried foods.
    [/quote]

I Have had gastritis often and carbonated drinks/caffeine doesnt irritate it. spicy food and hot drinks do though. so hot coffee does but cold coffee does not.but it cant be fresh made coffee that has gotten cold. it has to be like cold brew coffee.fried foods I avoid due to genetic cholesterol issues
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    and that just shows how individual it all is.
    when my stomach is at it's worst, hot drinks and soups are the only thing that soothes it and cold feels like i'm being stabbed